Farmers Insurance Group Reviews

Jeff Dailey

1. Great Company

Former Employee - Billing Service Advocate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Billing Service Advocate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really take care of their employees! Lots of incentives, great benefits, nice environment to work in. Lots of opportunity to move up or to different departments.

Cons

If you are not meeting call stats, you can feel pressure from the supervisors to get where you need to be, but that isn't always a bad thing.

A value based company that is community focus and diverse.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate, Claims in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate, Claims in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Farmers Insurance knows what type of employees they want and are willing to invest in you. I have only been working for Farmers Insurance in an entry-level position for 1 year, and I am already up for promotion in another department. The hours are flexible, and they have performance based incentives that are ACHIEVABLE! They are not one of those companies that will dangle a carrot just out of your reach all of the time. The workplace culture is very pleasant as well, a lot of focus on diversity, family, and equality. If you're honest and hardworking, you can actually go places in Farmers Insurance! You don't need to worry about your peers taking advantage of your integrity.

Cons

The work can be hard at times, and really easy at others. As a result, it can be exhausting - going up and down all day long with really difficult tasks followed by such an easy task that you doubt you're doing it right. There is a lot of employee turnover, but it is because Farmers knows what type of employees they want. Bad workers get fired or get burned out, while the good workers get promoted within.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on making your employees and the communities you serve happy! It seems to be doing a decent job and can only pay off in the long term.

3. Good Company - Great Benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits including tuition reimbursement, good pay for the job, a lot of PTO given. Company cares about its employees.

Cons

A lot of office politics and favoritism. If you arent liked, they find a way to get rid of you eventually.
    Performance reviews are a joke.

Advice to Management

"career path" doesnt work. Promotions are not always fair. Performance reviews in some departments are not done fairly and based on the person. They are based on the department ratings. This makes some Great employees look bad because of failures in the department level.

5. Agile, thoughtful, constantly improving

Current Employee - Learning & Development Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Learning & Development Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth, flexible working hours, great management

Cons

Large company so change takes awhile. Having said that, they are constantly looking to change things for better customer experience.

Advice to Management

It is about your team - grow them, encourage them, and they will give you the discretionary effort you are looking for.

Farmers is the worst insurance company to work for

Current Employee - Training in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Training in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

You have a job that you can get experience and then leave for another company

Cons

Micromanaged
    Poor raises
    Promotions based on popularity
    Poor management
    Cheats their customers

Advice to Management

Fire all top level managers

7. Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture is great. Loved all my coworkers. Many ways to grow in the company.

Cons

Job becomes redundant and kind of boring.

8. A great company to work for, very employee oriented, and always open for change and new ideas to improve.

Current Employee - Office Claims Adjuster/Auto Liability in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Office Claims Adjuster/Auto Liability in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Community involvement, great benefits and a lot of time off. Great pay and very flexible schedules. Fun and friendly staff and employees, employees are valued, open to change for improvement. There's an onsite gym and cafeteria with Starbucks too!

Cons

There's not enough time in the day to get all of your work done, and they don't like you to go over a 40 hour week in most cases, although there are some exceptions. This may not be for you, If you want a feeling of completion at the end of the day, as there is always work to be done when you leave and come in in the morning.

Advice to Management

Management is great. They are very open and approachable. They are always asking for input on what we like and what can be improved. They are always there to help if you have any questions, and they don't act as though they are above you.

9. Great new place to work, caring, comfortable, and helpful.

Current Employee - CSA in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation for the tasks expected, I love how helpful the training systems have been. There is never something I can't find help on. Everyone is so upbeat and happy all the time too and always willing to help. There are also a lot of incentives, opportunities to move up and a great team feeling to the entire department.

Cons

It is at times difficult to be on the phone all day, but talking to different people every call makes it interesting. It is also a bit difficult to get time off in a pinch but that is to be expected, we need to be here when our customers need us!

Advice to Management

It would be great if there was a system in place where we would not be penalized if we truly had an emergency. Perhaps we could be granted a few sick days since, lets face it, in a building with this many people, we will get sick!

10. This Is A Very Good Job

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great job, with a wide range of positions and room for advancement. I enjoy my job, I like the people I work with and I like the opportunites that I have available to me that you really can't find anywhere else.

Cons

Sometimes you deal with people who aren't the friendliest - not uncommon if you've ever worked in customer service before.

All lip service, no action

Current Employee - Liability Claim Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Liability Claim Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My department is relatively good about having flexibility with schooling; however, the workload does not allow much flexibility.

Cons

Management wants to pretend like they are listening to employee needs and that they care about how the employee feels about the company but it is all just lip service. They only recently want to know why morale is so low due to the fact that their performance reviews and salaries are dependent upon good employee survey results. If you think this is a career you can advance in, be prepared to take multiple lateral moves and plan to relocate around the country until you are lucky enough to find a position that doesn't suck so badly that you want to off yourself.

Advice to Management

Stop running the company based on what USED to be done - that is what got this company into the financial mess they are in. If you have a LOB that is profitable, stop trying to assimilate that LOB into the greater organization but rather make some attempts to bring the larger corporation more in line with the smaller LOB that is actually profitable and keeping this "ship" afloat. Start listening to what the employees are telling you - they know what is going on within the company. Finally, MAKE SOME TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES!!! This is the 21st Century, for goodness sake, invest in something that is on the forefront of technology, not something that is already outdated (my web browser consistently will not load pages because the version is SO out of date)!

Farmers Insurance Group Photos