Farmers Insurance Group

Updated December 8, 2014
3.2

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey

Pros
  • Farmers goes out of it's way to help give a good work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• good benefits; company encourages promoting from within; very team-oriented environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved upon - we are expected to work while on PTO (in 28 reviews)

• Most unprofessional upper management I have ever seen at a company (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People and staff were awesome. Training was very extensive. Pay was competitive.

Cons

High stress environment. Mandatory overtime at times.

Need more employees to get work done efficiently and meet company goals.

It is a good experience and one that has provided me with skllls that are transfer to other careers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

The best reasons to work for Farmers Insurance is stip and the people. The claims leadership development program and the company values are outstanding.

Cons

Farmers is a great company it is very easy to become stagnant in a position due to education requirements or people staying in psotions for decades at a time. Making it very hard to move up into a management position.

My suggestion to management would be to consider offering early retirement packages to employees that have been with the company for 30 plus years. This will help instill growth and open positions up that other wise would stay closed. I would also consider looking at the health benefits as the cost to many employees in lower positions is too hi.

The company has gone through many changes in the last 5 years. Some good, some could use some work.

Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are a great group of people to work with.

Cons

Continually changing company objectives leave employees wondering. Extremely high expectations that are very hard to achieve. It is almost as though upper and middle management expect you to fail. Employees are lumped together instead of being acknowledged for individual contributions. The work environment is very stressful with a low morale.

Unhappy environment

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Favorable PTO, earned after 90 days of employment.

Cons

Under-staffed causing long wait times for customers, who were then angry at the excessive hold time. Shifts were very undesirable. Length of employment with company favored over performance, experience, and education. They say there is opportunity for advancement, but then would not let you advance since the department was already understaffed.

Hire enough employees so that people are not overloaded from the second they get in until they leave, and closers can leave at a reasonable time, not an hour and a half after closing.

Nice co-workers, frustrating work environment

Former Employee - Bilingual Claims Representative in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Bilingual Claims Representative in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good, you build strong relationships with team members (mainly because of feeling like you're all in the trenches together), and the employee discounts are good.

Cons

The work environment was incredibly frustrating. The job itself is not complicated, but jumping through hoops and dealing with management's strategies made each day a challenge. When innumerable people leave the office at the end of the day to cry or drink away their troubles, you know the company culture is not a good one. I do not leave jobs until I've been there at least a year... I started looking to get out at 6 months, and got out at 9.

Work Hard with no upward movement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible work environment, casual dress code

Cons

Unless you pass certain test and hit constantly changing goals; moving up in the company is impossible. They promote more on the ability to BS than knowing the business.

Stop micromanaging individuals.

Good days bad days

Current Employee - Anonymous in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly nice people, decent pay at 12 an hour starting

Cons

Too much gossip and drama, hostile environment, stressful

More time spent training

Great Place to Get Your Foot In the Door

Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Farmers is known for having a top-rated training program. All the supervisors that I have encountered have been encouraging and helpful where my own career development is concerned.

Cons

Management level above supervisors are a bit disconnected from day to day functions. They can seem detached and inaccessible at times. In some departments, the work load seems intentionally overwhelming. As of late, opportunities to advance have dried up. Several qualified applicants within the company are stuck in their current positions with few opportunities for growth.

It might be helpful to address that lack of supervisory positions. It seems that most supervisor positions are only available to those who are currently supervisors wishing to make a lateral move.

Agent

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were good and the training was good. Company allows you time to join and go to self development groups. Such as Toastmasters.

Cons

Technology was very old dated for such a large company. It had DOS terminals for some programs and different programs did not interface with each other.

I would say to update technology as soon as possible. I would think you would like to lead the field instead of playing catch up.

Challenging work, friendly work environment, great place to be at this time in my career,

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is helpful, friendly. The Company benefits are outstanding. There is always a helpful hand if you need a question answered.

Cons

The work load is sometimes very challenging at the start of training. The Company is large and kind of hard to get to know your co-workers.

I have been blessed to have a great management team. They are very helpful and full of enthuasiasm for majority of the work week.

Farmers Insurance Group Photos