Farmers Insurance Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey

Pros
  • The work life balance was great (in 37 reviews)

• Good benefits, Great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance difficult; empty promises by managers; no room for promotions; technical issues every week; (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management in this company is like a game of musical chairs (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent

Former Employee - Multi CSA in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Multi CSA in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great business, especially for moving up in the company. Loved the people who work with you as well! Very welcoming place and company to work for.

Cons

Have to clock everything you do, including bathroom breaks. It's very embarrassing because you get penalized if you go on a bathroom break. What if your pregnant, or have a weak bladder, that really sucks.

Advice to Management

I would just say keep up the moral. Happy employees mean more work being done. Being penalized for taking bathroom breaks really disturbs me.

Review

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, management makes great effort in making salary competitive. Farmers also provides a lot of great service to its local communities as well

Cons

Centralized claims has a tendency to overwork its front line employees. Its a "turn and burn" mentality and definitely takes the right person to succeed

3. Customer Service Associate

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Place to Grow, Non-Collections

Cons

Call volume can get high at times, things change all the time

Beware

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits: a minimum of 21 days vacation and PTO each calendar year for new employees and more for longer-term employees. The company matches 6 percent 401K contributions at 100 percent and the employee is vested immediately; there is not waiting time. Coworkers are good people; they are helpful and supportive.

Cons

Training is not the best. Support following training is inconsistent and not dependable. Team Managers once were coaches but appear to do less and less of that. They are looking after themselves and their careers more than their teams' or team members' successes. Career advancement is left to the employee to figure out. Good luck with that!

Advice to Management

Don't be so concerned about the metrics. Where the focus once was on creating an awesome customer experience. The focus in Service Opeations now has become the number of calls processed each day, the average handle time for each call, and the after call work time. If employees are not succeeding in a position, help them find a better fit within the company rather than terminating them. The company is losing a lot of good people and invaluable institutional knowledge. As for me, the company has lost me as a future Farmers policyholder given the manner in which I left the company. I won't recommend the company or its products to anyone I know, ever. I am not bitter; I just choose to do my business elsewhere.

6. Flexible schedule with unrealistic work volume

Current Employee - Senior Property Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Property Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, amazing co-workers Just started working from home options, great for long commuters Advancement opportunities if willing to move

Cons

Inconsistencies between supervisors in same department. Required overtime with some unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the volume you are giving an adjuster. Field adjusters have a specific time frame to complete a claim, where an office adjuster is assigned until there aren't any more. 15 a day is not a realistic expectation of an employee

7. Customer service associate

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great holiday pay and free lunches sometimes

Cons

Every employee is disposable, you are a number and you can be replaced they do not care about one person in there. They are trying so hard to do too much they need to slow down and teach the employees how to do their job.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and be there for your employees. You all do nothing all day...

8. Underwriter

Current Employee - Kansas in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Kansas in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a "chosen one" you are able to move up in the company, otherwise, you remain where you are at. It's a place to get a paycheck for a few years until you find something much better.

Cons

Too many to list: benefits are average, salary average, most supervisors/managers are drones that focus only on productivity and numbers instead of assisting the client, morale is terrible, micromanagement abounds.......

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the numbers and look at the interactions. Was the customer taken care of even if the conversation took longer than 7 minutes?

Working in the claims department of Farmers continues to leave me disappointed more and more each year I work there.

Current Employee - Claims Department in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Claims Department in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people. Their are really good people who work for Farmers. The term "Farmers Family" was adopted years ago and the working environment was like being with family.

Cons

Unfortunately, the family environment is eroding. I would no longer consider it a "family" working environment. In fact, large company bureaucracy, "step-on-your-neighbor", "do what ever it takes to get ahead", environment exists today. This is mainly due to the part of the "forced - distribution" evaluation process. You directly compete with your peers for year end evaluations and promotional opportunities.

Advice to Management

There is an article online called: Ten Stupid Rules that Drive Great Employees away Farmers is in violation of every one of the author's rules. (No, I'm not the author of the article. The following list is the list as described directly from the article) - Stupid Attendance Policies (they weren't there when I started with this company, but now we have them) - Stupid Frequent-Flyer Policies. (I used to get to keep the points, but now the company gets the points) - Stupid Dress Code Rules - Bell Curve Performance Reviews (this is what I refer to above as "Forced Distribution") - Stupid Bereavement Leave Policies. - Stupid Approvals for Everything - Stupid Disciplinary Rules - Stupid Feedback Mechanisms - Stupid Hiring Processes - Stupid Forced Ranking (Again, another form of "Forced Distribution" - I guess this one is so bad, the author put it in their article twice)

10. Sub Demand Office Claims Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always plenty of work. Some tuition reimbursement. Flexible schedule is amazing.

Cons

Very poor communication between management to employees. When asking for something, they will tell you what you what they think you want to hear, even when it is not the truth at all. They will delay bad news as long as possible even if it ends up costing really good employees. Trust is really hard to keep in the company when they are not upfront. Not many positions besides liability adjuster open up so its you and 300 other people for one or two open slots for a single position. Benefits are flat out pitiful. For one person it was about $200 plus a month for a high deductible medical plan.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust employees more. Be more honest when asked what steps someone needs to perform to acquire a specific promotion or job - it is easier to be told you can't get something up front than jumping through hoops then told no.

11. Work, Work, Work

Former Contractor - Account Clerk in Olathe, KS
    Former Contractor - Account Clerk in Olathe, KS

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Kept busy with plenty of work

Cons

Kept busy with plenty of work, the same thing day, after day, after day.

Advice to Management

Stop having meetings.

Showing 77 of 1,209 reviews