Farmers Insurance Group

Updated October 14, 2014
3.3

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey

Pros
  • Farmers goes out of it's way to help give a good work-life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Depending on which way the wind would blow, you could possibly work from home (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved upon - we are expected to work while on PTO (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management in this company is like a game of musical chairs (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Longevity of the company name.

Cons

New contracts implemented too frequently.

Awesome Part-Time work

Current Employee - Scheduling Manager in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Scheduling Manager in Edina, MN

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule and hours
    Good pay
    Opportunity to create projects, be creative
    Actually see results from work

Cons

Very small office
    Work can get redundant
    Sometimes lack tasks creating downtime

Create more responsibilities that can be done over time

great company to work for, customer & agent centered.

Current Employee - Farmers Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Farmers Insurance Agent

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Name recognition, great claims department, a lot of support from the different departments

Cons

Not a lot of financial help with your agency, need to have a good amount of money to make it though the first 3 years. Also, not eligible for a lot of perks until you've gotten through the first 3 years (Career agent stage)

shorten the career agent stage to 2 years.

You get out of it what you put it.

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, quality training, good commission, if you are a people person this job will be easy

Cons

It's a sales job, so it's commission only, some districts are better than others. Cold calling sucks

It's an alright job, you get out of it what you put it

Claims Adjuster - Workers Comp

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers and management are very nice, positive environment, work life balance, pay is okay, location is nice, ability to advance or move to another line of business, causal attire.

Cons

Work load is high, turn over has been high, health benefits are okay (no HMO option though), low admin support.

Find ways to expedite work processes so adjusters can handle claims - mail, UR requests, liens;

Stable company with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Sales Productivity Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Productivity Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable, company that has weathered the financial crisis with surplus in tact. Farmers has a great culture where many feel like family.

Cons

Like many organizations, Farmers has an issue with cronyism, where the best candidate may not be the one chosen for a particular job. Additionally, Farmers has a difficulty communicating what it really wants out of it's people.

Clarify what you targets you are looking to hit. Improve reporting in your data structures.

My best ever internship

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was welcomed as if I were a full time member of the company, not just a summer intern. I learned so much and had great guidance from my supervisors. Many people here enjoy acting as mentors and that greatly enhanced my experience. There was a very good work life balance and I was invited to hang out with my coworkers often outside of work (but not pressured to).

Cons

It's an old fashioned company, which can be good and bad. They seem to have a lot of people working there to do routine data entry which could be automated. If you are self motivated, you can create bigger opportunities for yourself but I can see how a timid person could get stuck entering numbers into a spreadsheet forever.

Decent place to learn the ropes of Insurance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although the company may be going through many local reorganizations, overall it is a decent place to work. The pay and benefits are standard, with some additional bonus with their ICP which is tied to the company/division profit. It provides you with a stable environment and decent perks.

Cons

It is a large organization and does not move fast. The hierarchy and titles are sometimes bureaucratic. The leadership manages upward and then manages the distribution channel. Employees and their career growth are not their priority in the recent past.

Be agile, be nimble with your approaches. Everyone does not have to create a legacy system or a process. Please approve projects and get them done. Get the IT system bug free and user friendly soon.

Solid company to work for, great people.

Current Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Good retirement, good people to work with and a financially strong company

Cons

rate challenged in auto and other key pieces of business. Hard to write business starting out for our new agents. Need to consider listening to the agents on the ground who face day to day fire drills when trying out new business initiatives.

Work with agents to implement new strategies as they are your soldiers on the street. Make sure to communicate to everyone so all extensions of the company are on the same page.

Farmers has allowed and encouraged career progression.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like the additional opportunities given to me to excel in my management role and the ability to transfer within the organization across the US.

Cons

Company is going through growing pains since the purchase of 21st Century. They still operate like 2 companies vs 1.

Treat 21st Century employees like Farmers employees including income and career progression.

Farmers Insurance Group Photos