Farmers Insurance Group

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey

Pros
  • Farmers goes out of it's way to help give a good work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• good benefits; company encourages promoting from within; very team-oriented environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved upon - we are expected to work while on PTO (in 28 reviews)

• Most unprofessional upper management I have ever seen at a company (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work For

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Great paid time off benefits!

Cons

Administrative assistants are slightly under-paid

Good company to work for. Flexible hours

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Large share of the profit, very flexible.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement within the company.

Great company that really knows how to take care of their employees.

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Lots of room for upward movement. I have only been with Farmers for 2 years and have had 3 major promotions. I started off as an executive assistant and worked my way up to being a Marketing Consultant in the Sales Management department. Everyone is super nice and friendly. Great benefits.

Cons

Since their are so many layers and chains of authority, it takes forever to get anything done. Technology given to employees is pretty archaic and difficult to work with.

Spend more on technology and improving process efficiency

Company offers decent benefits and 401k. Employees and managers are very respectful and understanding of each other.

Current Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay for recent college grads and plenty of opportunities for growth. Company provides many incentives and cash bonuses depending on performance.

Cons

A lot of favoritism occurs within the company. There is a lot of overtime and late nights spent at the office.

good company, needs more

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Ventura, CA

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In my eyes, the people were fantastic and my manager was a good guy, we were a good branch in my opinion

Cons

To me, the duties were not as much as i wanted to be responsible to be, they treated me like a baby and didn't let me grow fast enough

Great place to work and great environment.

Current Employee - Agency Producer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Agency Producer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Commission, Bonus, promotions, flexible schedule.

Cons

Non yet. It takes a while to adapt to the fast paste environment of a sales job, but once you get used to it, you start to love every second of it.

Great experience overall as subrogation rep.

Former Employee - Subrogation in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Subrogation in Redlands, CA

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Set work hours, no overtime or weekends required, friendly environment, opportunity for growth.

Cons

Large case load, can get monotonous, quantity emphasized over quality.

Awesome work environment, Friendly staff & down to earth upper management.

Current Employee - Specialty Direct Sales Agent in Caledonia, MI
    Current Employee - Specialty Direct Sales Agent in Caledonia, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership , you build your own career , Growth , Company cares about its employees work environment. The training is amazing. The first day I started with farmers insurance group alot of people showed me around and where very helpful, also very friendly. Even though you are doing your own work the teamwork is awesome.

Cons

Health Benefits are outrageous expensive. The compensation is ok , I do believe that It could be more for our base salary but for sales agents we make commission so over all the compensation is pretty good , what you put in you will get out. I do think a longer lunch period would be helpful its hard to get down to the cafeteria and eat in 30 min especially when it it busy.

If you want to be an agent, read this first.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant to An Agent
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant to An Agent

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large recognizable company. There are people there to help teach and train you about the insurance industry.

Cons

If you want to be an agent there are a lot of lifetime quotas. You need to make sure to read the contract thoroughly before signing. For example, the clause that if you don't make it as a full time agent after X amount of years than you will need to pay back Farmers all subsidy they gave to you in the beginning is on the contract somewhere. I have known starting agents who signed the contract without realizing that there was this part on the contract. High pressure from District Offices for you to become an agent. What they tell you is very different from the realities of becoming an agent. To succeed as a full time agent you will need to put in a lot of time and money. Very low success rates. In addition, the company is constantly creating new rules and regulations which affects agents ability to find new customers. Sometimes, the customer service department for agent are not sure of the rules and not able to help agents.

Working as a Temporary Electronic Indexer.

Current Employee - Electronic Indexer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Electronic Indexer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee on Tuesdays, two 5 minute ergo breaks, stretch Tuesdays, dance break on Thursdays, listen to your music through your headphones, fun place to work.

Cons

No talking, company is making a lot of changes, process one document every eight seconds or less,

Management is good.