Farmers Insurance Group

Farmers Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey

Jeff Dailey

Pros:
  • "Farmers goes out of it's way to help give a good work-life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Depending on which way the wind would blow, you could possibly work from home"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be improved upon - we are expected to work while on PTO"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Upper management in this company is like a game of musical chairs"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

takes care of its people and provides tools to be successful

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

Prosif you want to succeed as an agent, you are given support by way of capital, coaching and playbook

Consas an agent, you are an independent contractor but as a Farmers Agent, you are not an island.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Average (OK) Company

Claims (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsPeople are like family. Good Learning and Development path.

ConsBenefits (Health, Dental, 401K, etc.) not the best and not the worst. Recently went through a lot of reorganization which resulted in positions getting cut and bad morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the self righteous ego. Often times most of the managers handle themselves in this self-deprecating manner which I think is over used and manipulative. Behind closed doors you see their true self.

Good company overall

Claims (Current Employee)

ProsLarge company with lots of opportunity for advancement. Generally dedicated to employee welfare and personal/professional development.

Cons1. Disconnected senior management frequently changes things just to put their own mark on things.
    2. Archaic profit sharing plan tied to unrealistic performance reviews.
    3. Micro management in some areas.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good mentorship for young professionals

Data Management Analyst (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsMy direct manager is great, I am provided with options and guidance for career growth. 401k options are pretty much unparalleled nowadays.

ConsI am not a big fan of the corporate culture, but I don't think that's just Farmers. Health benefits could be better.

Slowly losing a great Company culture

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVery 'blue collar' company that appreciates hard work. Pay is a little below competitors in the industry but Farmers offers above average benefits that can easily make up for it. Large enough company that there is ample opportunity for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate for those opportunities. The overall company culture used to be great but has steadily diminished as Farmers has struggled with profitability and growing surplus.

ConsAll of the major competitors are light years ahead of Farmers with pricing technology and stability. Poorly designed Auto and Home products have left the company unprofitable for many years which means large price increases and poor customer satisfaction. We have been promised for the last 7 years that Product Management "has the answer" but the constant merry-go-round of Product Managers who leave Farmers for better jobs leaves us with the same problems over and over. Large numbers of good Agents have also been leaving over the last 3 years because they have become so noncompetitive in the marketplace. The only way they have managed to get on trajectory to be profitable again was laying off many employees and introducing multiple budget cuts throughout each year.

There has been a great deal of turnover on the corporate side of the company due to loss of confidence on whether or not Farmers can compete in today's market. Since the pension program was phased out, Farmers has actually gone backwards in total compensation each year and it becomes increasingly easier to find better pay and total comp at other insurance companies for the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementEastern expansion and "smoke & mirrors" sales gimmicks won't improve agent/employee confidence or bring back a great culture. Someone needs to address the elephant in the room; Farmers doesn't know how to create and price products except for in West coast states.

Greedy at the top, but nice at the bottom.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Eagan, MN

ProsThere was always help if needed.

ConsAlways being told that one should become an agent.

Challenging work, friendly work environment, great place to be at this time in my career,

Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsThe work environment is helpful, friendly. The Company benefits are outstanding. There is always a helpful hand if you need a question answered.

ConsThe work load is sometimes very challenging at the start of training. The Company is large and kind of hard to get to know your co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been blessed to have a great management team. They are very helpful and full of enthuasiasm for majority of the work week.

Farmers takes the time to make sure I am comfortable in my position and allows me the opportunity to improve.

Service Advocate (Current Employee)
    Caledonia, MI

ProsThe company has great benefits, consistent hours, excellent training, and compassionate workers.

ConsThe subject matter is diverse and it is difficult to feel confident in what you know and what you do as a new employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to seek out updates from new employees as they are probably struggling learning the necessities as much as I am.

Just a Few Weeks Out of Training

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsVery intentional comapany in regards to supporting and giving back to their employees
    Really great benefits sans healthcare (just par), laid back culture
    Management is very friendly and willing to answer questions and help out when they can
    Flex hours during the week, overtime can be requested but so far has not been required

ConsVery steep learning curve
    Workload is overwhelming out of the gate until you get used to it (I'm still waiting for that piece)

The pay was decent, but work like balance was horrible.

Consumer Solutions Advocate (Former Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsThe pay is fairly descent

ConsWork life balance difficult; empty promises by managers; no room for promotions; technical issues every week;

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your compensations; listen to your employees who talk to the customers;

Worked for Farmers Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Farmers Insurance Group Videos

Farmers Insurance Group – Why Work for Us?

Farmers Insurance Group is a leading insurer group, providing insurance for automobiles, homes, small businesses and specialty products, and a wide range of other insurance and financial services products. Farmers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farmers Insurance Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey. All 705 reviews posted anonymously by Farmers Insurance Group employees.