Farmers Insurance Group

Updated December 25, 2014
3.2

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey

Pros
  • Farmers goes out of it's way to help give a good work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• good benefits; company encourages promoting from within; very team-oriented environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved upon - we are expected to work while on PTO (in 28 reviews)

• Most unprofessional upper management I have ever seen at a company (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to be an agent, read this first.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant to An Agent
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant to An Agent

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large recognizable company. There are people there to help teach and train you about the insurance industry.

Cons

If you want to be an agent there are a lot of lifetime quotas. You need to make sure to read the contract thoroughly before signing. For example, the clause that if you don't make it as a full time agent after X amount of years than you will need to pay back Farmers all subsidy they gave to you in the beginning is on the contract somewhere. I have known starting agents who signed the contract without realizing that there was this part on the contract. High pressure from District Offices for you to become an agent. What they tell you is very different from the realities of becoming an agent. To succeed as a full time agent you will need to put in a lot of time and money. Very low success rates. In addition, the company is constantly creating new rules and regulations which affects agents ability to find new customers. Sometimes, the customer service department for agent are not sure of the rules and not able to help agents.

Horrible Place to work if you are in the bay area

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

has benefits and you are paid regularly

Cons

horrible management and business philosophy, no loyalty to their workers, lying and not a good company to work for

Difficult management, nice employees, but not enough training or consideration for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Rewarding experience..... I learned how to get along with different types of people and learned new software. Plus, I got a chance to meet new people from different walks of life.

Cons

Contentious and stressful atmosphere.
    Constant arguments and drama, not enough training, too much politics and attention to the bottom line, and not enough attention to growing a teamwork experience.

Learn how to communicate in a nice and respectful manner, with politeness. Be honest and trustworthy, not deceptive. Move into a better office in a bigger building, in a less run down part of the city.

Working as a Temporary Electronic Indexer.

Current Employee - Electronic Indexer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Electronic Indexer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee on Tuesdays, two 5 minute ergo breaks, stretch Tuesdays, dance break on Thursdays, listen to your music through your headphones, fun place to work.

Cons

No talking, company is making a lot of changes, process one document every eight seconds or less,

Management is good.

It's okay. Not terrible, not great.

Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for this company.

Cons

There are no opportunities to advance.

Help your people make money, instead of keeping it all to yourself.

It is a good experience and one that has provided me with skllls that are transfer to other careers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

The best reasons to work for Farmers Insurance is stip and the people. The claims leadership development program and the company values are outstanding.

Cons

Farmers is a great company it is very easy to become stagnant in a position due to education requirements or people staying in psotions for decades at a time. Making it very hard to move up into a management position.

My suggestion to management would be to consider offering early retirement packages to employees that have been with the company for 30 plus years. This will help instill growth and open positions up that other wise would stay closed. I would also consider looking at the health benefits as the cost to many employees in lower positions is too hi.

The company has gone through many changes in the last 5 years. Some good, some could use some work.

Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are a great group of people to work with.

Cons

Continually changing company objectives leave employees wondering. Extremely high expectations that are very hard to achieve. It is almost as though upper and middle management expect you to fail. Employees are lumped together instead of being acknowledged for individual contributions. The work environment is very stressful with a low morale.

Petty managment. Big Egos.

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Not many. Really can't think of anything to say or add.

Cons

No real concern for employees well being.

Great Training For Entry Level Employees

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

They are set on giving you all the tools necessary to succeed. From the district level to the office they have training. Very easy job. Multiple opportunities to make money.

Cons

The pay, however if you work hard you will see an amazing return on your investment. No benefits.

Platform is amazing, great idea!

Great place to work and great environment.

Current Employee - Agency Producer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Agency Producer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Commission, Bonus, promotions, flexible schedule.

Cons

Non yet. It takes a while to adapt to the fast paste environment of a sales job, but once you get used to it, you start to love every second of it.

Farmers Insurance Group Photos