Farmers & Merchants Bank

3.8

Daniel Walker

Fun

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

Co Workers and customers make it a fun place to work.

Cons

The direction the bank is heading.

not employer of choice

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

great salaries and benefits. Solid bank, been around for 107 years

Cons

Company has a lot of favoritism. tenure employees are set in their own ways and not willing to change although that is the focus of the bank, per Federal Reserve bank examiners. Human resources does as it please and no one can advance unless HR says is ok. Branch managers do not have any control over employees files or any say so on salary increases for employees that do an outstanding jobs. No team work and lots of regulation and law violations. They created a new layer of management however this new layer of managers are like puppets.

Great Family Ownership

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

Love the family like environment the bank provided to employees and customers. The Walker Family, who owns and operates the bank, graciously offers generous profit sharing, a Christmas bonus, and vacation bonuses.

Cons

Aging Computer Systems, Odd Wire Transfer Policies

Be mindful of what F&M Bank truly stands for. Let the true employees who know F&M culture lead the way.

Very slow moving, but good company

Former Employee - Marketing in Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had very pleasurable experience working for the bank. They move very slowly, but it is a family bank with great job security. The Walkers are very humble and down to earth. The salary is not the greatest, but they have wonderful benefits that include profit-sharing, vacation time (that you actually get to take), decent hours, and low-stress environments. Also, the bank is very family oriented.

Cons

Pay is below industry average, and there is not much room for growth unless you are working at the branches. I am not sure how the trainings are, but there seemed to be more promotions at the branch level than anything else. The bank is also very very slow to implement change.

Great if you like a small, community based environment.

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company itself is like one big family, everyone seems to know each other in some way. That is both good and bad, but the treatment that I had in my branch was more than I could ask for. I was lucky to have co-workers that were joys to work with. The management can be hit or miss depending on the branch. Some shoot from the hip, while others are on point.

Cons

People know what you are up to. It's like a small town. It's a very conservative bank which means very conservative views on their office policies. Moving up in the company isn't the easiest because so few ever leave their jobs. I really can't blame them because they are treated somewhat well.

Teller at F&M Bank of LB

Former Employee - Teller in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

Steady, predictable hours, good relationships with customers. You get bonuses on a quarterly basis. Plenty of other tellers so you are not swamped.

Cons

Smaller bank so promotions often mean waiting or moving branches. Some managers are just lenders and not good managers.

Overall doing a good job but make sure that officers are fair. There is a lot of favoritism. Some is real but the perceived unfairness is what counts.

it's ok pay is not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

decent benefits, vacation, sick pay, generous profit sharing and you get all holidays off which is really nice. You also get vacation bonus, and Christmas bonus which is really nice a lot of other banks don't do that, Job security never in the 102 year history of the bank has there been any lay offs, which says a lot for the strength of the bank.

Cons

The pay is pretty low unless you are a branch manager that is really the only bad thing about working here is the pay it's a great company i just wish they would up the pay, and they did take away some of the perks when all the banks were going out of business i wish they would bring those back it made it a little bit more worth it.

I know F&M is conservative but it would be nice if we had competitive salaries or at last bring back reward days!

My experience has been 100% positive

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

I enjoy the Local community bank

Cons

Since it is a bank, you must work on Saturday.

The leadership is great and friendly.

It was a good experience in learning the banking trade.

Former Employee - Bank Window Teller/Secretary/Asst Manager of Brancy
    Former Employee - Bank Window Teller/Secretary/Asst Manager of Brancy

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

Co-workers and bosses are kind people to work withand management support you in every way.

Cons

Low pay and shortage of co-workers caused the customers wait time to be longer!

There needs to be more hiring of staff to allow there not to be a shortage on tellers needed at each branch and there needs to be more reviews of work performance and higher raises well deserved for time and efficiency of the employee.

a great work environment

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank

Pros

if you are searching for a workplace that offers great work environment, seek employment at Farmers & Merchants Bank. it is owned and operated by a family, not a corporation, so it promotes a family-environment. all employees treat each other like one big family. there is a true spirit of camaraderie and almost everyone is friendly and helpful. that is why a lot of their employees stay with the company for so long. many have been there for 30 years, 20 years, 15 years. longevity of employment says so much about a company's culture.

Cons

the salaries leave room for improvement. however, bonuses make up for the lack of competitiveness in salary. the movement within the company is not as fast. not the place to work at if you are looking to get quick promotions. movements between positions and promotions are not as frequent. the salaries can definitely be higher to attract more competitive employees.

promote employees within the organization to facilitate faster movement within the rank & file. open communication lines between upper management and employees so every concern is addressed.