Farmland Foods

Updated Feb 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael E. Brown

Great company at one time, but has fallen from grace

President/Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Farmland Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood product, solid operations team

ConsPoor senior levle leaders and board

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek new employement, the new Chinese ownership is not good for all US based employees

Not really Farmland Foods - More like Smithfield Foods that just bought the name "Farmland".

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Farmland Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFarmland Industries was a good company in it's day. Farmland Bacon, Ribs, Ham and Pork Chops are still good.

ConsWent through the ugly business B word. Smithfield bought the foods plants and kept the Farmland name. Farmland lost a LOT of good people because of bad decisions that UPPER management made back in the early 2000's.
Farmland Sausage SUCKS.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost a lot of really good people.

Environmental Health and Safety

EHS (Former Employee)

I worked at Farmland Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome very nice people in some departments, decent pay to start, decent healthcare, they pay for training

ConsOverall bad attitude and end of the world view from management, lack of leadership and cooperation, overbearing corporate culture, stigma of the former Farmland Industries fiasco does not help with local relations in Kansas City. They tend to hire people with no personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people, this is the food industry act like its the 21st Century, update your equipment and facilities.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it was a few mere years ago

I have been working at Farmland Foods full-time

ProsFarmland Foods emerged from Farmland Industries and had a fantastic corporate culture, a great employee morale, and was self aware of process issues and identified ways to move forward. There was no better place to be.

ConsDuring the last 2 years it has de-volved, it is an environment of fear and blame - creating a paranoid and overworked workforce who fear making mistakes -and therefore - take no rises. It is a sad, mediocre place. There is no direction from the top, nor the middle.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve workforce in suggestions and implementation of process and perhaps even some philisophical corporate changes. Remember that the Customer is more important than the road blocks you are putting up to prevent them from getting your products.

One hell of a Ride

Processor (Former Employee)
Austin, MN

I worked at Farmland Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMeeting New people is allways a must and there are alot of new people that work for this company,
The smiles and work surroundings kept everyone in a happy place. There was alot of good humor to keep everyone moving.

ConsLong hours, and got pushed alot to get the jobs done. Some supervisors Had swollen heads and Treated some people Wrongly. Shortly after they were dismissed and It worked out.
Sometimes it was very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the day shift finish their work and not push it onto the ones that work the night shift so that they are so bogged down with work that they have to stay late to finish their job.

Good internship experience, probably not interested in working there long term

Corporate Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Farmland Foods

Pros- Freedom and encouragement to explore new ideas
- Management really cares about employees
- Higher than average pay
- Easy to make friends

Cons- Very mechanistic, hard to meet top executives
- Antiquated processes
- Seems as though ethics is promoted by HR, but managers are promoted and compensated based on how well they are able to climb over other people in the organization
- Has been high employee turnover in the past, both at employee and executive levels

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on automating as many processes as possible at the corporate office level. This can result in huge cost savings and a reduction in the need for staff doing mundane, repetitive, boring jobs. Also, try to integrate current executives into a new executive's management style, i.e. don't get rid of an entire team of experienced officers because of a new manager.

good company

Safety (Current Employee)

I have been working at Farmland Foods

Prosgood benefits competitive pay, college tuition reimbursement

Conssome manager don't know what they are doing

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to associates

I feel fortunate to be part of this team!

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Farmland Foods

ProsI am very impressed with the amount of emphasis and promotion that Farmland puts on higher education for their employees. The tuition reimbursment amount is twice that of comparable companies. Management really walks the walk with regards to "personal" improvement. They recently agreed to match half of the employee's cost to join a local fitness center. Focused is the best way to describe Management's style. Farmland is really about their "People" and the "Team". Results focused is the common theme and everyone plays to win. I feel fortunate that I have yet to meet anyone here that I don't like, everyone is pleasant and enjoys showing up to give 110%.

ConsProgressive for a meat company there are still some outdated ideas at work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the people, they are your greatest strength.

It was a good learning experience

I have been working at Farmland Foods

ProsThere are many opportunities for improvements

ConsVery high pressure business environment

Not terrible and not great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Farmland Foods

ProsCommitted to the communiy
Family type work atmosphere
Willing to bring on young talent
Good benefits
Good bonus potential

ConsAntiquated systems and processes; stuck in doing things as they've always done them
Lack managerial/supervisory training
Many promotions/hires set individuals up to fail
Many job locations in very remote areas/small towns
Lack of employee development

Worked for Farmland Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farmland Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Farmland Foods CEO Michael E. Brown. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Farmland Foods employees.