Farmland Foods

Add Photos

Michael E. Brown

One hell of a Ride

Processor (Former Employee) Austin, MN

ProsMeeting New people is allways a must and there are alot of new people that work for this company,
    The smiles and work surroundings kept everyone in a happy place. There was alot of good humor to keep everyone moving.

ConsLong hours, and got pushed alot to get the jobs done. Some supervisors Had swollen heads and Treated some people Wrongly. Shortly after they were dismissed and It worked out.
    Sometimes it was very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the day shift finish their work and not push it onto the ones that work the night shift so that they are so bogged down with work that they have to stay late to finish their job.

I feel fortunate to be part of this team!

Director (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI am very impressed with the amount of emphasis and promotion that Farmland puts on higher education for their employees. The tuition reimbursment amount is twice that of comparable companies. Management really walks the walk with regards to "personal" improvement. They recently agreed to match half of the employee's cost to join a local fitness center. Focused is the best way to describe Management's style. Farmland is really about their "People" and the "Team". Results focused is the common theme and everyone plays to win. I feel fortunate that I have yet to meet anyone here that I don't like, everyone is pleasant and enjoys showing up to give 110%.

ConsProgressive for a meat company there are still some outdated ideas at work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the people, they are your greatest strength.

My review

Quality Inspector (Former Employee) Cumming, GA

ProsA good Company, enterprising, Good Product, good people.

ConsTime Management, training, Good Practices Clean environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good internship experience, probably not interested in working there long term

Corporate Intern (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros- Freedom and encouragement to explore new ideas
    - Management really cares about employees
    - Higher than average pay
    - Easy to make friends

Cons- Very mechanistic, hard to meet top executives
    - Antiquated processes
    - Seems as though ethics is promoted by HR, but managers are promoted and compensated based on how well they are able to climb over other people in the organization
    - Has been high employee turnover in the past, both at employee and executive levels

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on automating as many processes as possible at the corporate office level. This can result in huge cost savings and a reduction in the need for staff doing mundane, repetitive, boring jobs. Also, try to integrate current executives into a new executive's management style, i.e. don't get rid of an entire team of experienced officers because of a new manager.

Great company at one time, but has fallen from grace

President/Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood product, solid operations team

ConsPoor senior levle leaders and board

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek new employement, the new Chinese ownership is not good for all US based employees

It was a good learning experience

ProsThere are many opportunities for improvements

ConsVery high pressure business environment

good company

Safety (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosgood benefits competitive pay, college tuition reimbursement

Conssome manager don't know what they are doing

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to associates

it was a learning experience

Maintenance (Former Employee)

Prosdecent starting pay for the area decent coworkers

Conseveryone gets pushed hard no work/life balance long hours six or seven days a week pay was basically stagnant high turnover rate penalized for using paid sick time or personal days vacation hard to come by....I believe the cons are common to the industry as a whole not just this employer

Not really Farmland Foods - More like Smithfield Foods that just bought the name "Farmland".

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsFarmland Industries was a good company in it's day. Farmland Bacon, Ribs, Ham and Pork Chops are still good.

ConsWent through the ugly business B word. Smithfield bought the foods plants and kept the Farmland name. Farmland lost a LOT of good people because of bad decisions that UPPER management made back in the early 2000's.
    Farmland Sausage SUCKS.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost a lot of really good people.

Not what it was a few mere years ago

ProsFarmland Foods emerged from Farmland Industries and had a fantastic corporate culture, a great employee morale, and was self aware of process issues and identified ways to move forward. There was no better place to be.

ConsDuring the last 2 years it has de-volved, it is an environment of fear and blame - creating a paranoid and overworked workforce who fear making mistakes -and therefore - take no rises. It is a sad, mediocre place. There is no direction from the top, nor the middle.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve workforce in suggestions and implementation of process and perhaps even some philisophical corporate changes. Remember that the Customer is more important than the road blocks you are putting up to prevent them from getting your products.

Worked for Farmland Foods? Contribute to the Community!