Faronics Corporation

Updated Feb 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nakul Sood

Deep freeze improvements will be a key change

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, consultants gone
    Money directed into product development will pay off.
    focus on Deep Freeze will make customers happy

ConsMedical plan needs an upgrade,
    work life balance isn't what it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementOusting the consultants was a good move and change is good, now let things be stable for a while, hope Faronics will be able to get back on track to being a company with great potential again.

Used to be great but new ownership changed culture

ProsOwners really cared about people and it was a great place to work
    Good company culture
    Some managers were really good

ConsWas never any focus or real leadership or accountability.
    New owners don't care about people but they need to get their money back
    No opportunity for growth or career if you're in Vancouver

Thinks are looking up?

Sales (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsSingle layer hierarchy (in my department!), Good location, Recently reduced politics (layoffs!), great hotels

Consfrequently changing strategy, no president's club(?), internal competition, too many changes at every level

Advice to Senior ManagementFixed KPIs are the way to go, change is good, stability is better

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

go downhill, faronics

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosnot busy. benefit is okay. Location is okay. i can not think more for this. maybe, people are nice.

Conslow paid. smart people left. no innovation. The company does not want to pay for innovation or top engineers.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to hire best engineers. pay more to get innovative engineers. you have to learn how google or facebook kept innovative engineers. Firstly, you have to understand what is software company. i don't think faronics is a software company or technical oriented company.

A Sell Out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsI can think of no good reasons to work there.

ConsPoor Leadership. Current CEO is a bald-faced liar. It's all on the way to being out-sourced to India. Some of the best Canadian employees were unceremoniously kicked to the curb. Some great Canadian employees still remain however if they are not looking to abandon ship by now, they are fooling themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up the word CREDIBILITY in the dictionary. Evidently you have no idea of its relevance to success. A fifty million dollar company? Best joke I have heard in a while. Don't hold your collective breath.

Was a good company, now on the nose dive.

Former Sales Staff (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGood salary in the end though not a good one at start. Very nice location - just get off at Granville skytrain station, nice people to work with. Supportive managers and upper mgmt are very approachable. Very nice "gifts" every Christmas. Decent Christmas parties.

ConsToo much politics! VP's are laid off or resigned and were not replaced leaving an entire dept in the dark.

President's club is more of politics as well. There are other people more deserving of being in the club but were left out. Some awardees were simply lucky. Project fell on their lap simply because they speak French, Japanese or Spanish and closed a sales deal when somebody else started that deal. Totally unacceptable.

Too many lay off last year and early this year 2013. Company not doing so well and with the decline of desktop sales which Faronics products heavily rely on. Company does not have a solid strategy in addressing this issue. All employees still in the company are getting ready for another wave of lay off which at this point is totally inevitable.

Too much work for small team due to lay off and mgmt are expecting this team to deliver. Additions to the team are based in India where salary is way below Canadian standard. That's business strategy though so again... that is inevitable.

No training whatsoever. They will just put you on the floor and start selling the product. Heck! I
    asked for a training months of trying to sell a product I barely know. A very helpful, supportive and knowledgeable tech support guy managing the test lab trained 4 sales staff. He was very helpful but he's not a pro trainer. I heard, this same guy was moved over to another dept without any training whatsoever that left him in the dark trying so hard to learn his new role. Kudos to this person who was able to provide support for the sales and customer service staff in just a few weeks learning everything on his own.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was at one time a small hardware sales company that grew to become a big software company with good leaders and staff with good strategy is now on the spiral nose dive. 2 partners were so smart to sell their shares. This company need to step back, take a look at what's ahead and get their act together again to bring it back to its previous glory. Hope Faronics will be able to get back on its feet.

Software Engineer

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGood salary and benefits, average work atmosphere, some good and personable co-workers; upper management accessible and friendly. IT support is prompt. Good location at vancouver downtown. Good team lead/architect, very supportive and hard worker.

ConsSmall teams and lots of work; one or two incorrigible co-workers which I think is not very uncommon; Management often do not have clear directions and changed focus several times. Invested a lot of resources in product(s) that totally failed to take off. We had 4 different VP of Engineering in 4 years, including some period with no VP Engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what they are doing, I guess.

Moving to India . . .

(Current Employee)

ProsNo pros at this time.

ConsLOTS ! Management is lacking across the board. No job stability, only instability. Have no regard for employees. Long term employees recently let go with no notice and minimal severance pay. Employees successful DESPITE management. Could go on and on . . .

Advice to Senior ManagementStop kidding yourself. What you really need to do is develop a Deep Freeze product for tablets - that is the future. Moving Technical Support and Sales to India is going to impact sales dramatically. The US is very conscious of doing as much business in North America as possible. Being contacted by someone in India will immediately tip them off as to who they are dealing with.

It was good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosit was good when they had HR. They wanted to be one of top 100 company in BC, offering fruits cart very two weeks, lunch and learn sessions etc.
    A good central location close to everything with a very nice view.

ConsA lot of politics. some VPs left or laid off(?) because of this.
    currently undergoing restructuring, most of the product development is moved to overseas now.

Once was one of the top employers in the city is becoming one of the worst.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsExcellent location. Free coffee in the lunch room. Nice people still work here. Christmas parties where fun.

ConsLack of strategy, inexperienced, weak leadership, constantly changing direction. Product that don’t fit the needs of the clients or adapted to the marketplace.

Recent change of ownership resulted in many productive long term employees to be terminated.
    Most of the good people are now gone with large rounds of layoffs in November, 20 people were terminated in January

Employees see the hate executives have for each other.
    Open warfare and backstabbing at the senior levels is now public and epidemic.

Problem began when the “consultants” appeared on the scene, who know nothing about this industry or the true need of the clients. Their only concern is to Leach massive amounts in fees in return for lousy leadership and rhetoric.

The cost who will ever know it could be in the multi- millions of lost revenue and market share. Anyone can see that this has proved to be a most disastrous experimental failure for this once a thriving business and great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you really care anymore ?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Faronics Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Faronics Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Faronics Corporation CEO Nakul Sood. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Faronics Corporation employees.