Farouk Systems Reviews

Rami Shami

Unorganized Chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Farouk Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience with different kinds of work and difficult people. (CHI and BioSilk products)

Cons

Disorganized, and the wrong people are managers. They are not making things run smoothly. High turnover, in the year i have been there 6 people got fired or quit. (just in 3 departments) Most people havent been there for more than 2 years.

Hire for talent, not for looks or because they are family.

NOT A CAREER. This place is a joke.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee sales. Great insurance. Weekend off...

Cons

I can not the speak for the whole company just for the customer service department. If you are interviewing for this department RUN. They will start off by acting as if they like you, and you are doing a great job. They will give u a raise with so much work but no training or coaching at all. When you make a mistake they get mad take your raise away and bully you till you quit. The department is not lead by the manager but by her favorite employees. (You will know who they are because she will take them out to eat and have little meeting with them in her office.) They determine your future just because they have been there longer. You are not judged based on your knowledge, or skills or talent but by what they think of you. They are so unprofessional giving employees insulting nicknames behind there backs and the manager is in it too. They have a huge turnover rate. In the 4 months I was there five people quit. If you went to college and received the proper education don't waste your time or talent in this place it's a dead end.

You spend a ruff estimate of 700 dollars every time you hire a new employee. Your customer service manager is throwing your money down the drain. Letting her staff bully employee away. You should really look into that before your faced with a lawsuit or your taken to the better businesses burial. ..

Not walk, RUN away from this company..DON'T interview with the devil.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free insurance option is honestly the only positive aspect of this job that I can think of. Oh and I learned what a BAD company is like and what red flags I should look for at future job interviews.

Cons

One of the worst companies to work for in my opinion: Employees are hired with college degrees, experience and knowledge but paid like a high school student. This isn't an after-school job; we have families we are supporting and bills that need to be paid. Employees in high position roles are getting paid eye-popping amounts of money while the factory workers and office employees are being totally ripped off. Departments have managers who have either cried their way to the top or done "special favors," you will be rewarded for kissing behind, keeping your mouth shut and not speaking up. Expect to be treated with little to no respect from employees above you who feel some sort of entitlement, even though they have little experience in the field they are working in and only hold a managerial position because all the other employees have quit. Clique-ish behavior is very apparent in the office, get in good with a manager and kiss their behind, be their best friend suddenly, jump when they say jump and you should be good. Given lots of responsibilities, which make you think you will get a promotion, raise and grow within the company but instead you are just expected to do it and stay quiet. No point in speaking up to HR as they have a close tie with the boss who will just ignore your complaints or you will end up getting fired for it as I saw to a couple employees. VERY high turnover rate, 20+ employees quit or fired within 1 year is ridiculous! Upper management does NOT communicate with staff at all, never sent out an email saying that sick days would NOT be paid out so employees decided to use days up and when upper management found out they didn't pay employees for those days, SERIOUSLY? Who does that, those are days WE earned, WE worked hard for and they were OURS to use! There's not even a bathroom on the 2nd floor of the building! SMH. Rumors of certain managers sleeping with the boss circulated, and even if it wasn't true, there should not be room for rumors like that to be spread, but actions speak louder than words. Even the plastic silverware that was provided in our VERY small lunchroom was taken away due to "high cost." Really? Don't expect to travel for work; they don't want to pay for airfare. If you do get the chance, expect to take your OWN car, they don't want to pay for airfare. Also expect to stay with another co-worker, maybe one you just met or a sales person you don't even know, they don't want to pay for your own room or your own bed, you might have to share that too (NO KIDDING, it happened!) If you are hourly don't expect to be treated like salary workers, they can work 6hrs and leave for the day for Dr. appt, emergencies, etc. If you are hourly, you MUST take a half day, no exceptions. Hourly also does not get overtime because upper management will NOT approve it, and if you are salary be prepared for them to take full advantage of that, making you work later then 5pm and some weekends. Don't be fooled by promises made by managers and upper management, they will feed you things you want to hear to make you stay but its all talk and no action. Never received any promotions, any team building activities, or advance classes to grow our skills like we were promised. Nothing changes in this company except the employees ...they quit often after understanding that this company is run by clowns, who are selfish and are only out to make a dollar for themselves.

This company is committing workplace suicide, slowly and surely it will go under unless someone steps in and actually knows what they are doing and saves it and NOT ANOTHER family member! Hire people with real skill and talent to run different departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Waste of time !!! Talent and professionalism posts a threat here

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Farouk Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I saw some employees being hired such as relatives, and friend referrals. Great parking space !!!

Cons

Horrible experience in my life, simply unorganized and stacks of paper all over the supervisor desk. The lack of communication from the supervisor was just one bad thing, and all these titled senior reps are a joke, brought high school memories. Never in my work experience did I feel so lost. If you have advanced skills in any computer programs it posts threat to many of these customer service agents.

Pay closer attention to your old employees. They don't know one thing about professionalism other than to gossip about each other.

Don't quit your day job to join up here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As most would say there are creative people and it is an exciting industry with periodic dealings with USA and Universe beauty contestants and celebrities.

Cons

Within a week of coming onboard you will realize the mistake you have made by joining this company. Employees have all witnessed professionals that have left careers to hire on at Farouk because of an understanding of the future direction the organization wants to peruse only to see them dismissed without warning because there is no planning or forecasting with any type of science behind it for them to successfully move forward, Or in the blink of an eye they simply change their mind about going that direction or needing them after they have started. Sadly the only point of you being there will be to ensure the bank accounts of the family members grow and that is accomplished by ignoring everything from labor laws to standard business practices and with the understanding that you are expendable. Your enthusiasm and loyalty are not recognized or appreciated. The company is made up of about 650 employees when fully staffed and the majority of them are on the lower end in production and warehousing, barely legal to be in the country, and used almost as slaves. Upper management is comprised of a select few that make decisions based on the fear of losing their jobs, are never on the same page because there is no communication structure even within their group, and are the only sources of input or advice that are listened to whether the advice is valuable or is incompetent. You will find shortly that your subordinates are being used to spy on and report on you while you are trying to develop an operating plan because the family does not trust anyone outside of themselves and does not know how to balance a professional hierarchy and (what have to be) cultural behavior traits. You will see your employees being walked off the premises with no forewarning or legitimate reason and no after explanation. The above is a simple reality as unbelievable as it seems, it is an unhappy company to work for and be at.

The one constant in the company is a general respect to Farouk himself. A success story of a man that started in his garage with a passion for an industry that enabled him to build an empire. Unless he knows time is limited for his brand and does not care that his reputation is steadily declining I would advise him to remove the family from anything to do with the organization and to be the only decision maker to a board that will consistently ensure the brand lives up to its mission statement "Environment, Education, & Ethics". Since his stepping out of the operation it is in the hands of near incompetence and will return to a garage operation if it continues to be managed as it is presently. There are no Ethics at Farouk Systems and it is a very depressing environment to waste time at that you can't get back.

Best time ever for about 5 weeks, then BANG! It just went downhill.

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beauty industry is full of really cool, creative and fun people. Had a great, young team who loved the industry and their job and saw enormous potential if Farouk & Sons were stronger managers.

Cons

This place is a mess. The best way to sum up Farouk Systems: Fire. Aim. Ready. Because they fire (people) first, the Aim to make things unpleasant and they'll never be Ready for the massive failure when it comes.

Farouk is an amazing story, but, unfortunately his creativity, ambition and drive were never past down to his sons. CEO Basim is a frightened of his father and has no clue. He expects everyone to check in at the front at 8:00 sharp, but he doesn't arrive until 10:30 or 11:00. He never meets with his managers or directors and they never meet with each other. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing, so departments step all over each other until someone (or a group of them) gets fired.

No one thinks strategically there. Farouk swoops in with his idea-du-jour and suddenly everyone's working on some weird tool or hair stuff. At least it gives the company temporary focus until Farouk leaves the country for three months. Basim's never had an original idea in his life.

You can't trust anyone there--not even your peers-- because backstabbing and self-preservation are encouraged and rewarded. Employees--especially new ones--get no guidance or mentoring. You're pretty much left to figure it out, then you get fired if you make a "mistake."( I say, "mistake" because if you're never told that the company is going right and you turn left, then how is that a mistake?) Employees get no direction from either Farouk or Basim except "do your job."

Most of the people I worked with had kind of a Stockholm Syndrome. They were so used to being treated badly that they simply didn't know any better and just weathered the frequent firing storms. It's only until they leave that they find that there are companies who treat their employees with respect and kindness.

It's unfortunate because this could be a great company.

Sell the company, cash out and go to Hawaii. Let someone who knows what they're doing take this thing over. Do it, while it still has value and a decent, but declining reputation.

The most unprofessional workplace

Former Employee - Administrative Professional  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Professional in Houston, TX

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to be if you're early in your career.

Cons

Erratic, unpredictable and highly unstructured work environment

It's a shame that Farouk is so disconnected from the company he built. He is the only person who is respectable and knowledgeable in that organization. The "Next Level" of management is a complete joke.

During my time at this company, I saw over 400 people terminated. This number is actually low, I'm just averaging 100 per year. As noted by the Engineer, we can't even begin to count the numbers of people terminated on the production lines.

This is a family owned and operated business and they do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they have a family disagreement, it will be brought to the office and innocent people will be fired simply because they are the direct report of the family member who is on a rampage. There is no structure, no loyalty, no professional development and from time to time, no access to restrooms due to bad plumbing. The average tenure of employees at Farouk is 1-2 years.

The CEO thrives on keeping people in fear of losing their jobs and threatens their livelihoods as often as possible. Nobody is encouraged to think for themselves, the only person making decisions is the CEO who is by far the WORST businessman ever. Decision-making is not a strength. The advice he seeks comes from people who don't care about the company and are just trying to take as much money in undeserved salaries as possible.

This place is a sinking ship. My advice to those who are hanging on in hopes of a better tomorrow: jump off before that ship sinks because that CEO will leave everyone to drown!

I'm glad I was one of the few who walked out with my dignity.

Not for the long term

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great chance to get started if you are new in the field.
    People that I worked with were very friendly and a pleasure to work with.
    Free insurance that is pretty competitive

Cons

First I really don't like saying anything negative about previous companies but I must in this case:

Farouk and Basim micromanage the company and rule with an iron fist. They make split second decisions and don't check facts before making a call. Why is this bad? In the 1 year I worked at Farouk Systems I witnessed over a 100 firings which is not normal for a company with only about 500 in the office area. I will exclude the ware house and manufacturing because they are numerous, shielded and tend to be name less to the upper management. The firings are not always performance related and the company does not even take the time to train a new head before letting the old go. The average employee in the headquarters has only been with the company for less than two years. When I left many people admitted to me they were about to follow as company moral was extremely low.

I started at Farouk Systems and with in a months time I had seen too much and was looking to leave.

*****Luckily I was one of the few that left by my own will.******

I said all I needed to when I left and it didn't do any good. Farouk did you even read my email? Do you care what is said in closing interviews? Did the HR manager even have time to tell you what I said before you fired her? Sadly today I found out two more great hard working former coworkers were fired. Which is why I decided to write a review here and I am encouraging many other former employees to as well.

Logistics chief

Former Employee - Logistics Chief  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Logistics Chief in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Farouk Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

got to form the way i worked alot by my self

Cons

felt alone at many points due to a small company.
    no careeropportunities

Worked for Farouk Systems? Contribute to the Community!