Fashion Bug

www.fashionbug.com

Fashion Bug Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

MaryEllen MacDowell

Pros
  • 40% discount on all clothing as an employee(in 4 reviews)

• Over all a great job if you are just looking for a little extra money, flexible schedule and minimal hours but with employee discount(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You sell credit cards, selling merchandise is incidental(in 6 reviews)

• The upper management is horrible, the staff in all stores gossip and are unprofessional(in 4 reviews)

Workplace of very poor ethics

Management Member (Current Employee)

Pros40% discount on all clothing as an employee
    A great place to build relationships with customers as most of them are regulars

ConsVERY poor training. They tell you it is all "on the job experience" but most of the time you are just thrown under a bus.
    Extremely poor ethics when it comes to dealing with unsatisfactory performance from employees.
    Poor treatment of employees.
    Underpaid for everything this company expects from you as a lower manager.
    Very high turn over due to the lack of training and ethics from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training your lower management and SA's instead of throwing them into situations with no training. This company makes millions of dollars a week and you cant afford to pay your employees for what you expect them to do to drive your business? This needs to change.

Overall a great company to have a career with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mechanicsville, VA

ProsFashion Bug offers a great opportunity in retail. Excellent benefits, flexible scheduling and great merchandise make it an ideal company to work for.

ConsMany great initiatives started at the corporate level. The problem is that there seemed to be little follow-up on how they actually worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow up on some of the great programs initiated at store level. Fashion Bug offers AWESOME merchandise at great prices. Merchandise will sell if the focus changes to STRONG Management teams who know how to take charge and develop sales leaders.

great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosfun lots of cool people

Conslong hours, not many benefits

Advice to Senior Managementget more business

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No recognition for hard work, raises are not given.

Sales Leader (Current Employee) Islandia, NY

ProsDiscount on clothes
    Flexible schedule
    Hours are decent, open 10-8 week days and 10-9 on weekends

ConsRaises are not given
    Paid bare minimum
    Lower-level Management is given more responsibilities then in other companies, for less pay
    Very indecisive company, changes are always being made

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

"never again"

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Ozone Park, NY

Prosschool flexibility,good breaks,okay hours,its okay if you are not desperate for money because, the pay is horrible , the company makes money but the employees
    s are like slaves nothing nothing nothing nothing else to say .

Consstressing
    pushy
    too much drama
    horrible recognition

Advice to Senior Managementtry recognizing other people's work .

neutral satisfactory

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Taylor, MI

Prosflexible hours, some sick days, personal, and holiday pay, employer discount, some bonus commision, fashionable womens clothing for various sizes,

Consminimum wage for sales associates, constantly organizing and rearranging merchandise, must be friendly with costumers even if they are rude, short lunch breaks, entitles long hours standing, constant lifting and moving of boxes/merchandise.

Advice to Senior Managementstay pro-active, show professionalism and lead by example, don't expect an emplyee to perform a task if you're never willing to perform yourself,

Fashion Bug's RUN!!!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Fort Myers, FL

ProsFun atmosphere to work in! They have a lot of promotions and events that you can really get in to.

ConsNot so good corp management. Sales goals are set way to high for ANY store to make and bonus on. Its also very hard to get your expense pay out and bonus incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to do your job and work for your stores and we will start to work for you! We need a leader and coach not an abusive boss who tries to get points across by ridiculing and putting down their stores.

Not a great opportunity for a career but OK for temp or part/time work

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Saint Johnsbury, VT

ProsAs an employee you receive a discount on clothing and other merchandise so if you are someone who would wear their apparel you can save quite a bit.

ConsThe manager of our store was experienced in the day-to-day job duties but not professional or capable as a manager/leader. She spent a great deal of time on the phone speaking with another store manager in the district with whom she was friends. In addition, she was not skilled in conflict resolution - when she was dissatisfied with an associate's performance she would rarely tell them and instead would talk about the situation with others in the store (similar to high school gossip/complaining). Turnover for sales associates and assistant managers was very high.

The district manager was aloof and unfriendly to associates when she visited and seemed to enjoy the intimidation factor more than she should have. She came from the West Coast and often spoke of how little business our area did in comparison - it came across as if she was speaking down to the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Management positions should not be given out to the nearest warm body - simply because someone has worked in the store for several years does not make them qualified. There seems to be very little value placed on education - it matters none if you are college educated in many stores which is ridiculous (people with higher degrees of education should be considered for more responsibility and higher paying positions). In addition, the franchise should utilize 360 assessments to evaluate their managers (feedback from direct reports, peers and supervisors) to make sure that problem areas are identified and addressed.

Also, pay for nearly every position was very low (think Maslow's hierarchy of needs) and I don't consider it a coincidence that shrink (theft) was high and internal shrink was a big problem. The organization needs to calculate and consider what their losses are due to shrink and consider equating them with poorly paid and poorly trained employees. Happier, better qualified employees are going to be more productive and even more loyal to the store resulting in much less internal theft and an increased desire to better monitor and prevent other theft.

Depends

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) Pekin, IL

ProsIn my first four years of service with Fashion Bug I had an overall good experience. My district Manager was amazing, she spent time grooming my talent and utilizing my resources. I was recognized for my hard work and achievements by promotions, praise, and recognition. The company had a lot of programs for recognizing success and a really nice bonus opportunity. The company gave us enough payroll to be able to maintain a nice work and home life balance. I successfully managed and improved four different locations and felt like the sky was the limit.

ConsOver the last 2 years the company has made A LOT of changes and not for the better. They no longer promote from within, they have cut payroll hours back so far you do not have the time to get the customers serviced and fully execute all the tasks. My new district manager is the worst. I only saw her for a total of 8 hours in the last 9 months. I have no coaching, no feedback, no payoff, and I have less personal days and more required hours. Funny how that works. The company gave no raise last year and a joke of a raise this year. They are closing stores and do not have a bright future. The look for young energetic women who are new the the retail world so they can make them work more for less.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop what your doing and bring in a panel of store Managers so they can give you insight from the store level.

Poor company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lewistown, PA

ProsRoom to move up in the company

ConsVisual is horrible
    No respect from upper management
    Employees talk to much about other employees
    Feel like your working in high school

Advice to Senior ManagementFInd out what is really going on in your stores

Worked for Fashion Bug? Contribute to the Community!