FastSigns

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Gary Salomon

Customer Service

I have been working at FastSigns

Pros

Because this is a small company, everyone is down to earth and very nice

Cons

This is a family owned business so there is no room for advancement and no raises

More raises

Fastsigns is very behind on the times

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Each franchise is independently owned, so each store is like a small business. You get to work directly with different departments and the owners work alongside you. I've gotten to interact with several important clients and businesses on a daily basis. There are many opportunities to take initiative. Most if not all stores are closed weekends and nights, so you can leave your work at work, so to speak. Each franchise is run very differently, so your local franchise may vary.

Cons

As a small business, you have no HR department, so if you don't like your management team you are out of luck. No real room for growth unless you want to go into management.

To corporate: At our store we are losing out on so many business opportunities because customers want to be able to shop online easily. That is becoming increasingly more so. Our website is horribly difficult to navigate, even for me. Also, we need a better plan for digital signage in a way that will be actually profitable. Most importantly, our point of sale software desperately needs upgrading. At our store we spend so much wasted time trying to get our computer system to function properly.

To franchise owners: You need to invest in your technology as well. Don't cheap out on equipment or refuse to upgrade technology to save a few bucks because it will only hurt you in the long run. Also, don't set unrealistic goals for your employees. Times are tough, but the employees can only succeed if you give them the proper tools to achieve your goals (equipment, training, software, staffing, etc.)

Everything depends upon the franchisee . . .

I worked at FastSigns full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is always different. Creative, colorful, fun to make all the different kinds of signs.

No nights, no weekends most of the time.

Our store is very clean, but there is no air conditioning, so gets really hot in the summer. Technology is important. You will be working with sophisticated computer software and expensive output devices. If the store is profitable or the owner is smart, you will have access to some of the latest technology like laser engravers or flat bed printers.

If you work for a good owner who understands the value of taking care of people and customers, life can be good. Some employees have been working at my location for over ten years, through two different owers and make well above $20/hour plus benefits. They are given wide latitidue to run the business.

FASTSIGNS does a lot of TV advertising and their cusotmer satisfaction is high.

Cons

Most stores are run by small teams. Each person is critical to the success of the business and there is no extra help available to fill in. Even if everyone is cross trained, if someone is out sick or takes vacation, it can cause some problems and stress. Again, if you have a good owner, he should know how to do every job in the place and step in when needed, including doing installations and deliveries.

There is no opportunity for advancement for anyone, becuase that is the nature of a small franchise. It is a franchise, the owners have their life savings invested in the business. If the location is a good one and profitable, there is money avaialble to pay well.

Many locations are not profitable and struggling. The franchisor makes 6% of the gross sales. The franchisor doesn't care if the owers are making a living or if the sotre is wildly profirtable as some are. The franchsor gets their money no matter what and are the first ones paid through their ability to take money right out of the owners bank account at the beginning of the month.

The owner must sell enough to cover fixed expenses of running the store and only gets to keep 94 cents out of every dollar a customer spends. These are real expenses that must be paid just to stay in business. Getting behind can be a slippery slope to failure of the business.

There are owenrs who have lost their life savings investing in a FASTSIGNS that never sold enough to make money. So even if the owner would like to pay more, if the sales aren't there to support it, he can't do much.

Remember, the owner has to make payroll twice a month. Even if sales are slow, even if customers are late paying their bills, the payroll and the rent must be paid on time. Being an owner isn't a cake walk, unless you can get the business to operate well over fixed costs and make profits.

We are constantly being squeezed by FedEx Office on the low end and by state licensed sign contractors who can do the big jobs like electrical signs.

This is advice to the FRANCHISOR, FASTSIGNS INTERNATIONAL. Slowly, the internet is eating away at your core business. You do not have an internet strategy that allows online sign design, ordering, payments, order tracking, and the ability to review and pay invoices online. FII has been promising this for many years but failed to deliver.

When the CEO appeared on Undercover Boss in 2009, she was confronted by an employee telling her that there was no internet strategy. She has done nothing since.

FII is owned by the same investors that own Cinnabon, Carvels, and Schlotzky's. All of these businesses are selling to consumers. Only FASTSIGNS sells primarily to businesses and it is a whole different animal.

The ultimate owners of FII are an investment group who have nothing to do with day to day operation. All they care about is how much cash can FII spin off to the investors. Which translates into how little can FII spend to produce those big royalty checks coming in every month.

FII will therefore never actually invest their own money in making changes. The are not innovators, they are not leaders, and most of all, they don't listen because the people at the top are fat and happy. FII is called a CASH COW. Remember, FII gets paid even if the franchisee doesn't earn a dime.

If the franchisees won't pay for it out of their 6%, it doesn't happen. And the only people that FII listens to are the million dollar stores who are happy with the status quo.

They survice on their great customer service and quality of the work that comes out of some of the better run stores.

Not bad

Current Employee - Production in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Production in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent support and equipment, name recognition.

Cons

Quality of job almost entirely dependent on franchise owner.

None.

Poor Company Structure

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

Always something to do. Plenty of work around the office.

Cons

Micromanagement at its worst. Poor pay. Terrible hours. Be prepared to come in on Saturday or Sunday. Poor Corporate structure.

Offer competitive wages to your employees and stop trying to make your office a sweatshop.

Inside Sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Industry to meet lots of new people, friendly staff, very small company, I can bring my kids to work if needed.

Cons

no commission before $20,000, no paid time off and no inside commission .
    Plano office dose not provide laptop, toll tags or product training for outside sales.

Owner should be more up to date on equipment, understand when you hire someone with no experience they need training and don't down talk. I say give your employees a reason to want to sell your product.

good stepping stone, no long term career potential

Former Employee - Customer Service in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Detroit, MI

I worked at FastSigns full-time (more than an year)

Pros

every day is unique
    fun people

Cons

low pay, long hours when business picks up.

Great people but no room for professional advancement.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

Great people, nice office, decent pay.

Cons

Benefits are minimal and there is very little room for advancement within the company.

Create more opportunities for advancement within the company, even if it's something as simple as creating some Lead or Senior-level positions.

Fast-paced, interesting work.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at FastSigns full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a busy shop and it's fun to make signs. There's almost never a dull moment.

Cons

Sometimes the volume of orders taxes the abilities of the crew to keep up. It's a pretty good system until it's put under stress.

This company could use a Production Manager.

GREAT Company

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility in day to day work plans - training

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling is tight