FastSigns Reviews

Gary Salomon

1. Fast Signs

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at FastSigns full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, fast paced and fulfilling work, good pay with the option of overtime, good sense of teamwork and management was easy to connect with.

Cons

Not enough effective planning on the part of the owner, hours were allowed to be cut below minimum legal requirements by way of company policy, management was generally lax when it came to the interest of the franchise as a whole.

Advice to Management

Look into a few of your franchises, in my particular experience the owner was overly present and in many ways hindered the overall performance of the location by serving his own goals rather than those of the company including capital gains.

2. Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FastSigns full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned tons about sign making and graphic design. Most of my coworkers were great, and it was a fun environment. Pay was pretty good.

Cons

The owner only cared about making money and not about developing a cohesive sales force. We were always reminded about daily minimums and how we performed compared to other locations. Lots of turnover. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Spend more time cross-training employees.

3. Easy job, poor management.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

Easy work
    Clean working environment
    Friendly staff

Cons

Management was scattered, projects weren't managed well.
    Employee turn over was very high (there were 3 different people for the same position in 3 months).
    Knowledgeable employees had little say in the way projects were handled.
    Company seemed to be losing a lot of money, under charging clients.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive to your employees.

5. FASTSIGNS

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ogden, UT

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

Experience, learning about the commercial sign industry.

Cons

They are a franchise owned and therefore you are subject to the rules and conditions of the owners with no recourse should you need to take one.

Advice to Management

Don't expect more from your employees than you are willing to give.

6. Customer Service

I have been working at FastSigns

Pros

Because this is a small company, everyone is down to earth and very nice

Cons

This is a family owned business so there is no room for advancement and no raises

Advice to Management

More raises

Fastsigns is very behind on the times

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Each franchise is independently owned, so each store is like a small business. You get to work directly with different departments and the owners work alongside you. I've gotten to interact with several important clients and businesses on a daily basis. There are many opportunities to take initiative. Most if not all stores are closed weekends and nights, so you can leave your work at work, so to speak. Each franchise is run very differently, so your local franchise may vary.

Cons

As a small business, you have no HR department, so if you don't like your management team you are out of luck. No real room for growth unless you want to go into management.

Advice to Management

To corporate: At our store we are losing out on so many business opportunities because customers want to be able to shop online easily. That is becoming increasingly more so. Our website is horribly difficult to navigate, even for me. Also, we need a better plan for digital signage in a way that will be actually profitable. Most importantly, our point of sale software desperately needs upgrading. At our store we spend so much wasted time trying to get our computer system to function properly.

To franchise owners: You need to invest in your technology as well. Don't cheap out on equipment or refuse to upgrade technology to save a few bucks because it will only hurt you in the long run. Also, don't set unrealistic goals for your employees. Times are tough, but the employees can only succeed if you give them the proper tools to achieve your goals (equipment, training, software, staffing, etc.)

Everything depends upon the franchisee . . .

I worked at FastSigns full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is always different. Creative, colorful, fun to make all the different kinds of signs.

No nights, no weekends most of the time.

Our store is very clean, but there is no air conditioning, so gets really hot in the summer. Technology is important. You will be working with sophisticated computer software and expensive output devices. If the store is profitable or the owner is smart, you will have access to some of the latest technology like laser engravers or flat bed printers.

If you work for a good owner who understands the value of taking care of people and customers, life can be good. Some employees have been working at my location for over ten years, through two different owers and make well above $20/hour plus benefits. They are given wide latitidue to run the business.

FASTSIGNS does a lot of TV advertising and their cusotmer satisfaction is high.

Cons

Most stores are run by small teams. Each person is critical to the success of the business and there is no extra help available to fill in. Even if everyone is cross trained, if someone is out sick or takes vacation, it can cause some problems and stress. Again, if you have a good owner, he should know how to do every job in the place and step in when needed, including doing installations and deliveries.

There is no opportunity for advancement for anyone, becuase that is the nature of a small franchise. It is a franchise, the owners have their life savings invested in the business. If the location is a good one and profitable, there is money avaialble to pay well.

Many locations are not profitable and struggling. The franchisor makes 6% of the gross sales. The franchisor doesn't care if the owers are making a living or if the sotre is wildly profirtable as some are. The franchsor gets their money no matter what and are the first ones paid through their ability to take money right out of the owners bank account at the beginning of the month.

The owner must sell enough to cover fixed expenses of running the store and only gets to keep 94 cents out of every dollar a customer spends. These are real expenses that must be paid just to stay in business. Getting behind can be a slippery slope to failure of the business.

There are owenrs who have lost their life savings investing in a FASTSIGNS that never sold enough to make money. So even if the owner would like to pay more, if the sales aren't there to support it, he can't do much.

Remember, the owner has to make payroll twice a month. Even if sales are slow, even if customers are late paying their bills, the payroll and the rent must be paid on time. Being an owner isn't a cake walk, unless you can get the business to operate well over fixed costs and make profits.

We are constantly being squeezed by FedEx Office on the low end and by state licensed sign contractors who can do the big jobs like electrical signs.

Advice to Management

This is advice to the FRANCHISOR, FASTSIGNS INTERNATIONAL. Slowly, the internet is eating away at your core business. You do not have an internet strategy that allows online sign design, ordering, payments, order tracking, and the ability to review and pay invoices online. FII has been promising this for many years but failed to deliver.

When the CEO appeared on Undercover Boss in 2009, she was confronted by an employee telling her that there was no internet strategy. She has done nothing since.

FII is owned by the same investors that own Cinnabon, Carvels, and Schlotzky's. All of these businesses are selling to consumers. Only FASTSIGNS sells primarily to businesses and it is a whole different animal.

The ultimate owners of FII are an investment group who have nothing to do with day to day operation. All they care about is how much cash can FII spin off to the investors. Which translates into how little can FII spend to produce those big royalty checks coming in every month.

FII will therefore never actually invest their own money in making changes. The are not innovators, they are not leaders, and most of all, they don't listen because the people at the top are fat and happy. FII is called a CASH COW. Remember, FII gets paid even if the franchisee doesn't earn a dime.

If the franchisees won't pay for it out of their 6%, it doesn't happen. And the only people that FII listens to are the million dollar stores who are happy with the status quo.

They survice on their great customer service and quality of the work that comes out of some of the better run stores.

9. Not bad

Current Employee - Production in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Production in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FastSigns full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent support and equipment, name recognition.

Cons

Quality of job almost entirely dependent on franchise owner.

Advice to Management

None.

10. Good stopping place to learn about sign business

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

most of the other workers are friendly, casual dress every day, flexible lunch time, chance to be creative sometimes

Cons

No communication from owners, no chance for advancement, sometimes denied request for time off even if you had it available, business makes long hours necessary sometimes, low amount of sick/ vacation days, raises few and far between

Help! I am being micro managed & I can't get out!

I worked at FastSigns

Pros

Turning signs quickly, production processes that not many sign shops use.

Cons

Franchise owner was far from being a people person.Nothing like berating the manager and others in front of the staff to really make people hate their job. Another former employee came on board 2 weeks before I was transferred to another location. He told me later (in a chance meeting) that he only lasted 3 weeks after I left.

Advice to Management

This is aimed @ Fastsigns Corporate, take stock of how your franchise owners treat employees