Fastenal

www.fastenal.com

Fastenal Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student(in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous(in 42 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return(in 34 reviews)

Great to get your feet wet in the business world

General Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood online training courses and advancement opportunity

ConsDepends on where your located if your gonna have a great opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on getting DM's to visit branches more.

Good job OK pay , and work too much

OSP (Current Employee) Witch Hazel, OR

ProsJob duties , You run it like a franchise , See new people places. Decentralized decision making. Room for growth.

ConsJob Duties , You do everything...Everything AR AP Sales Property manager Delevery Driver Stock boy.

Advice to Senior Management$$$ .... Share

General Manager

General Manager (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsFlexibility, growth opportunity and not being stuck in an office all day. GM's have a 50K guarantee.

ConsThe stores can be hit or miss. You might get a store with no potential or you could hit the mother load.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start

Sales Support (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros-Learned a lot
    -Met a lot of people
    -Never boring

ConsAlthough it's never boring, you will work very hard most days. Very lean staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no reason to cap sales people's commissions. That makes no sense at all. Stop being greedy and you will make more money in the long run, and attract higher caliber sales people.

Learned a lot and a lot about myself

Account Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are persistent, thorough and work hard it is hard to not be succesful
    time off is not bad
    endless tools at your disposal to make your job easier if you know where to look
    potential for good commissions if you are in or near a big city

Conseveryone has to start part time-if that isnt a slap in the face to a new hire I dont know what is
    being passed over for a promised promotion is not uncommon
    when things go bad, it seemed that the culture of the company focused on doom and gloom and scare tactics

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my experience the majority of upper management are great at what they do and are more often than not interested in the development of their reports. Unfortunately it was obvious that sometimes upper management got where they were by only looking out for number 1 when the time came

Good gig if you haven't got a degree.

Part Time Sales Support (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFriendly staff, good customer base, generally can make your own schedule.

ConsCorporate decides to implement programs without any word to it's store level employees, transportation system can be horrendous.

Fastenal. Move fast. Make money. Move on.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood money 50k plus. Independence. They will let you move up in the company fast and make a lot of promises. They have great hours of operation in most stores: 7-5. They are a debt free company.

ConsThey promise a lot and don't follow through. This isn't just a one time experience, this has happened to many of my co-workers all across the country. Fastenal like to tell you that if you perform to a certain level, you will get a raise. In reality, you get a raise only when they feel like giving you one. Also, corporate is full of people who think they are high and mighty. Just be weary of the fact that they hold their money tight and their Loyalty is to no one.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe loyal to your employees. We work hard every day to make you money, return the favor by just being honest about promotions and expectations. Also, don't let a DM from out of state come in and fire an entire district of general managers. That's not good for your reputation.

Money and no fun

Shipping (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMoney, money, and more money. the only good thing about the company.

ConsLong 12 or more hours, some workers slack off and you get blamed for it. a bit of a learning curve to memorize where everything is at when sorting and loading trucks, bad working environment where people are cliqued up and few people help each other out, belts stop working frequently making work hours longer, no work life balance, and managers leave left and right in shipping.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a better work life balance and get people to cooperate more

Good for students who need income

Support Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsRelatively easy job
    Company promotes from within
    Flexible schedules for people with multiple obligations
    Successful company that continues to grow and create job opportunities

ConsLow wages in comparison to similar companies
    Very strict rules regarding overtime hours.
    All employes start as part time workers with the promise that after 6 months full time work will be available. I know people who have held part time positions for over 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a competitive wage.
    Allow promising talent the opportunity to better themselves by offering more responsibility in roles

Working for Fastenal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Winona, MN

Pros-High growth company means quick promotions
    -Great culture with peers

ConsHigh stress, high demands, high turnover, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how you made your money on stock options and that's why you were willing to work a lot of hours at a lower salary? You can't take the stock options away from everyone and expect them to work like you did at the wages you did.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!