Fastenal
www.fastenal.com Winona, MN 5000+ Employees

Fastenal Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros:
  • "Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student"
    in 39 reviews
  • "good place to learn a little bit about inventory management/tools/fasteners"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "It is all hell you will be discriminated against if you are only part-time"
    in 36 reviews
  • "The most common answer given from upper management is "Other branches make it work"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fastenal has been a great company to work for, you gain so much experience that you can utilize to grow your career.

ProsExperience, Freedom, Work Life Balance, Business Skills

ConsLow Pay, Wear too many hats, employee turnover. This company is way too frugal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more: Also should start a management trainee programs in order to hire good GMs out of college

You have to like the people.

Part Time Sales Intern (Current Employee)
    Springfield, MO

ProsFastenal does an excellent job of setting up training for new hires so you know about what you're trying to sell. I've learned more about the industry in the past four months than I ever thought possible.

ConsYou work with a great variety of people, some nice, others not so nice, you just have to have a lot of patience if you want to make it through some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, a knowledgable and happy staff will keep your customer service model afloat. Incentivizing part timers a little more would be nice so they know when their work is quality and when they need to improve.

What an opportunity

ProsYou are constantly learning everyday. The sky is the limit regarding your opportunity to create a quality business in your market that you can be proud to call your own.

ConsThe buck stops with you so if you are not ready to take ownership than this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep helping us be competitive

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Trainee

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales (Former Employee)
    Frederick, MD

ProsNo weekends, work ends when the store closes at 5pm on friday. Good work life balance.

ConsPoor communication by top management, trainees are used to complete all of the dirty work. Some locations are better than others. I was never given lunch breaks and had 15 minute breaks taken out of my schedule although I was not allowed by management to take a brake at our under-staffed store.

Stepping stone company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-Good experience of basic Business to Business selling
    -Benefits 90 days after going FT
    -Job Security
    -Paid vacation

Cons-Very cheap company
    -Constant back tracking on decisions made by corporate.
    -Complicated commission structure.
     -Sometimes stores compete against themselves.
    -Nepitism/Favortism by DMs in hiring and promoting. Ex of this is any open osp or specialist position in my district was filled by employees of one store

Part Time Sales Support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat scheduling around school, great job while completing a degree and plenty of opportunities to go full time once finished.

ConsPay Structure is a little uninviting

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at ways to compensate employees more

Good way to start out in sales, but not really worth a career.

Sales Trainee (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone at Fastenal does basically every job. My General Manager helped me clean the bathrooms on multiple occasions, so no one employee is above any task. This job is also a great way to get some inside/outside sales and logistics training experience without much pressure to perform day in and day out.

ConsLong hours (7-5 most days), so there isn't much of a work-life balance because you have to be up at 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning. Regional Vice Presidents are usually great, but District Managers can often be a pain. Fastenal likes to tout that you can run your store the way you want to run it, but I have seen a lot of micromanagement in my experience. Also, if your store has one really good month, your District Manager will set your next month's sales goals outrageously high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about stock prices, and let GMs run their stores the way they want because there are some very talented ones in the company. Micromanagement kills creativity, and creativity is necessary in sales. Oh, and please let your stores open at 8.

Could be great, some times great, mostly OK to not good

ProsDecent money for out of colledge guy, really good flexability and iv been granted alot of graces. Eatch branch is Mostly autonomous so we get alot of freedom.

ConsEmotional / Desperational based decition makeing by the managers/upper manager in promotion and customer relations. Took a long time in "fighting" to get productive changes done in the branch. Didn't seem to be supported in outside sales or inside sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems as though you hire based on whos available rather then whos the best. Or you hire based on preconceived notions of people, preconceived Ideas of what you think you want rather then strong integretiy. Seem to be easily decieved by outside preseptions of people rather than real merit.

OSP

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay if you hit your growth numbers.

ConsManagement is extremely out of touch. Favoritism heavily impacts decision making.... Unrealistic sales expectations.... There is a reason that the turn over rate is so high.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward loyalty over sucking up

Great Experience; Good Money

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDepending on your territory, you can make good money. There are also several opportunities to advance.

ConsDistrict Managers do not hold General Managers accountable for performance so long as goals are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and actually manage team members.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fastenal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fastenal CEO Will Oberton. All 550 reviews posted anonymously by Fastenal employees.