Fastenal

www.fastenal.com

Fastenal Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student(in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous(in 42 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return(in 34 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rewards hard work, dedication, and brains--Indianapolis distribution is a difficult.

Distribution (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFastenal is a great place to work for those dedicated to their careers--you will not make it far without considerable personal sacrifice. If you like to work hard, though, it can be fun. (Distribution, I have no experience in sales)

ConsStarting management positions (in Indianapolis distribution) pay horribly, almost insultingly low. Promotions can be attained if you have some leadership skill and are willing to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, and think hard about that.

Shipping/Receiving associate

Shipping (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood work community, relax work environment

ConsLow work ethic, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for more greater responsibility

Fastenal is a solid company to start with.

National Accounts (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIt has a good work environment in most departments.

ConsThere is not a lot of upward mobility depending on where you start.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about potential opportunitites with new hires.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of communication

Unit Load Picker (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFastenal has great opportunities and potential for employees.

ConsSeveral different managers that do not communicate well with each other

Advice to Senior ManagementHave managers be on the same page with one another.

if you like hard work/low wage,give us a shout!

Gen Whse (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosset your own hours to meet your schedule.

Conseverybody part time makes the same per hour.from pickers to forklift drivers.

Advice to Senior Managementyou get what you pay for.

Great place to start, horrible place to stay

Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsEasy to move up if you're a punctual hard worker. Promotions happen fast because nobody stays very long.

ConsInfested with "corporate culture". No top-down management, which they excuse by claiming that it is "decentralized". If you're salaried, expect to make mid-$30's while working as many hours as they want you to, sometimes weekends, sometimes getting called back in after your shift ended. Very few pleasant people to work with in the DC. They continue to waste money on expensive automated equipment that never works correctly. They will hire any thug off the streets, so if you're a lead or above, don't expect quality employees. Can't blame them though for the part-time, no benefits, and $10/hour with no raises EVER.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up.

A good job for someone with other commitments, like a second job or school.

General Warehouse (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Pros- decent pay
    - most managers are nice
    - not strict on attendance, depending upon which department you work for
    - easy job
    - 6 hour shifts

Cons- physical job, not for weaklings
    - must start part-time, no full-time positions until you've been there forever
    - strict on "dress code"

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management are a bunch of jerks who never do anything, and when they have to, they b*tch about it. Full-timers (the people that ACTUALLY do work, and TRAIN new hires) are just awesome people.

Terrible!

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsNone there is no benefit working for this company

ConsLow pay and no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new management and offer realistic pay

delivery driver underpaid and overworked

Route Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prospredictable schedule, routes stay the same. Nice trucks, not a 10 year old truck with a million miles on it, in the fleet. They take care of their equipment. They deliver their own product to their own stores, no third party contract here (yet) . Vacations can be split up, we didn't have to take an entire week off when we only needed a couple days off.

ConsPAY, a monthly salary for a truck driver is rediculous, most salaries are based on a 40 hour a week job, and we all know drivers work in excess of 50-70 hours a week.
    Management won't hear out complaints, it's the old see no evil hear no evil at this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the employees, actually have an "open door policy" , don't just claim you do.
    You have a driver retention problem, there is no reason for you to have a driver turn over rate, at one time you didn't have a turn over rate, why do you now ?

A waste of time and unkept promises.

Inventory Control (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFairly flexible schedule and a lot of independence.

ConsUnless you have worked for the company for 10 or more years, expect no respect or true growth within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow others to bring new ideas to the table and just because someone is young and fresh out of college doesn't mean that they don't know what they are talking about.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!