Fastenal Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 45 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement availability due to high turnover
    Good part-time pay
    Low to medium stress work environment
    Good training

Cons

Pay not adequate
    50 hour standard workweek
    Very few holidays give days off
    Advancement difficulties spending on management
    Never show appreciation or gratitude, always asking why more wasn't done
    Education not valued

Value workers that have education and potential to lead in the company
    Pay better!
    ROI keeps DM's from paying adequately in some districts

General Manager

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the retail front, Fastenal allows new employees to establish work experience in industrial sales while interacting with various clientele, that include but not limited to OEM and tier one suppliers. Advancements are promoted from within. This is an ideal fit for individuals looking for experience in the related field. There are basically three positions at the store level. Inside Sales, Outside Sales, and General Manager. If income is what motivates you then the General Manager role would be the appealing position; or ultimately District Manager. Personal opinion, out of the three positions General Manager is the only career position. General Managers make a salary range between 30-35,000 plus commission. Annual compensation Avg is 50,000. with the ability to make much more.

Cons

As a career you want to make it to a General Manager. Once in this position you will be faced with the challenge of high employee turn over. Another issue to mention is pricing and ultimately margin on product. National Accounts play a vital role in companies success. On a store level, a well balanced client portfolio will help establish a well rounded book of business; in turn will help your commission based compensation.

Change pay structure for non management personnel to reduce high employee turn over. Increase inside sale employees. Floating management to uniform districts, and overall success.

It was actually great. Shot up the ladder fast!

Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance. Opportunity to travel. Opportunity to work anywhere in the US. OK pay initially for a single person

Cons

Corporate structure is so far removed from us that we are just an employee number. Break a corporate rule and you will be fired. Pay is great for us in specialist roles and upper management roles but below that the pay is marginal for single men and women. Part time pay is...well..part time pay.

Get to know us in your specialist roles. We are just as valuable as your low level VA personnel. I really loved my job. Did a good job and if you knew me I would still be there. Violation of a company policy is not a good reason to be fired in every case. I sacrificed a great deal of time from my family in order to move the sales needle for you. Being fired with a piece of paper from the fax machine made me feel less than human. Although I'm clearly unhappy about my firing. I only wish continued success to my old Government team. AL, KF, JS & SD Gulf Coast District.

An alright place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security for the most part is there, so long as you do your job. No shortage of work and you're free to make your own decisions throughout the day.

Cons

Pay is terrible, but consistent. Bonuses are a joke unless you're at least a general manager. Most of the turnover with this company is based entirely on finding a higher paying job elsewhere. Our customers always say they see a new face every X amount of months. Your experience at a fastenal branch will depend entirely on who your GM and other staff are.

I lucked out with a good GM and DM, so I really can't complain.

Great place to start

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grinnell, WA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grinnell, WA

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility in this job

Cons

Informal customers who don't know the real terms

Better training

Great Experience

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to control how fast you move up within the company. Going on sales calls for a new employee is challenging but in the end it can be really rewarding. Took me just over a year of being a salesperson fresh out of college, to being a GM in a new store.

Cons

Long hours. If you want to succeed you have to put in more time then the next guy/gal. Pay can also be an issue, but with commission it offsets that. It is a sales driven job, so you may feel that you're never doing a good job but thats because you always need to keep growing.

Keep the values of the company in the forefront of how you go about your daily business. Will lead to continuous success.

Good general training, crap management

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was very comprehensive and you will learn everything there is to know about fasteners and industrial products. The company values are outstanding and the corporate culture is great.

Cons

Stores are poorly ran and major concerns are dismissed. Score cards are easily manipulated to make stores look like they perform better than they really do.

Revise your scorecard approach, and really listen to your employees when they tell you their concerns.

Great Sales Experience

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You truly learn how to run a business. Fastenal gives you great sales experience.

Cons

Most Fastenal branches are understaffed and that creates challenges. Base salary is not that great, but commission potential helps.

Stop focusing on planting so many new stores and focus on existing branches that are performing and funneling help to those areas.

Sales Support

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Highly enjoy the level of activity that occurs. A lot of physical labor is involved. Having the ability to communicate and establish relationships with customers and other vendors is also a plus. The pay and hours are also great for a part time job.

Cons

This is a "lean: company so when there is a technical or installment issue, you are forced to wear many hats to fix the problem. The hours can also be fairly long. 7:30am to 5 pm mon-fri.

Offer more leadership advancement opportunities for part-time workers rather than just a part-time employee to full-time.

I and co-workers are very happy here and enjoy the work!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like the product and quality.

Cons

Pay is good but not great.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo