Fastenal Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 41 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent pay for the work you do

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Easy job and good work environment

Cons

Lots to learn on your own

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to move up quickly
    Good tools
    Autonomy to be creative

Cons

Lack of manager support
    Too many stores in close proximity - small territories
    Low earning potential

Broaden territories and provide more in person support from District Managers.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Support
    Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fastenal taught me to be an excellent worker however your experience will be determined by your GM. If they find it worth their time to invest into you, you will learn and operate way above your pay grade. If you seem like a bad investment, you will not learn much and get by without learning. Learn all you can, immerse yourself and if you see it fitting, you can create a career with Fastenal. If you do not see it fitting you will still walk away with a great experience.

Cons

Poor incentives for part time employees. You can give it your 130% while other part timers work to rule and barely scrape by. This causes hard workers to lose motivation

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a great Company with tons of opportunity, although it is a entry level position. When you stay with the Company

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Entry Level Position in Sales
    Great exposure to B2B sales and essentially like you are running your own business with a Billion Dollar backbone

Cons

Large Corporation
    Company had become too large and going through growing pains
    Not a ton of work life balance if you want to grow within the Company

Sales Trainee

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great culture
    Decent Management
    Off on Weekends

Cons

Little room to grow .
    Pay can be way better .

Great college job. Not much else unless relocation is an option.

Former Employee - Account Specialist  in  Bellmead, TX
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Bellmead, TX

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule for PT workers. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Unless relocation is an option, kiss any chance of upward mobility goodbye.

Communicate down chain to let employees know you care, get a better health insurance plan!!!

Bright beginnings but the shine fades quickly.

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely good employee discount. If you are a tinkerer in your spare time consider how cheap a lot of your supplies you need to get will be as a perk.

Cons

For part time employees their are ZERO benefits. Your pay is also unchanging based on seniority, time spent with the company and even things like the district being severely understaffed presenting a shortage of labor. From what I am told the District Managers set pay. You are told to move up but with this idea of everyone always moving up it is hard to keep good ground level sales support staffed so the store is constantly revolving sales support which stresses the manager. Unless your labor force is willing to put up with terrible benefits and a lack of advancement within a position do not become a GM here, you will be highly overworked.

This seems to be a problem with the company as a whole, constantly training new hires to fill the lower end roles is extremely detrimental to your company. I have been with my branch almost a year and have seen a very high turnover rate in my district. The kind of work ethic you get from the average person when you refuse any kind of benefits or incentive to continue with your company in a part time capacity is going to be low. Couple this with the idea that was thrown at me by a DM that "you are part time and cannot accept as much responsibility" is ludicrous.

My pay should reflect me as a worker providing a benefit to the company. As time goes on I have become more highly skilled at running my branch but my pay does not reflect that. I am given praise in place of a raise. This is NOT a family business I am here to make money, that is why Fastenal is here and that is why I am incredibly insulted my time is worth less because I won't make myself a salary slave to your company.

As a final note, if your entire region is not even close to meeting goal, perhaps consider that not having adequate sales support and OSP's is maybe the reason your GM's cannot get out and sell and is the very reason you are FAILING to achieve your sales goals. You milk the bottom people on the rung for everything but won't throw them a tiny bone but this cripples your store management. An incredibly short-sighted and idiotic policy.

It is a good place to work as a part-timer.

Current Employee - Laborer  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Laborer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid Back
    Isn't hard work
    co-workers are friendly

Cons

Dirty, a little strenuous, sometimes gets a little boring.

None

CDL DRIVER POSITION Not to bad, aggravating at times...

Current Employee - CDL Driver  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, vacation from day one, Every Saturday off, 9 major holidays off with pay. Equipment is taken care of. Max 2 day routes (14 hr, 10hr break and then 4-6 hr back). Lots of one day routes. Amazing profit sharing program. Lots of opportunities to move around. ****( pro's VS. cons ) *** considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Cons

Sitting on dock without pay until your trailer is loaded. Medical insurance for a company of this size should be more affordable. Family coverage is about $470 a month. No FSA or co-pay's its straight deductable and co-insurance. They are huge on promoting from with in so this means lots of inexperience in a variety of postions, sometimes your management. High turn over everywhere, stores, hubs.... it seems the higher up are always trying to figure out ways to pay you less.. while the big boys are fluffing their bank accounts. ****( pro's VS. cons ) *** considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Dont preach communicate communicate communicate to everyone when you dont do it yourselves. I have been sitting in the office when a traffic manager will send an email to a person in the same office, a person sitting not 10 feet away when they could have just spoke the words...seems kind of silly to me that you just wont speak to one another.

Day to day is very much the same.

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Day to day operations consist of everything from cold calling to counting inventory to collections. It is a business where you can learn a little about a lot.

Cons

Once you get to GM status, there isn't much room for advancement, even though upper management swears there is. Stores are encouraged to act as a franchise, but at the end of the day corporate complains about things individual stores do.

Stop doing things the way they were done 50 years and have a progressive attitude. Quit focusing only on the bad and every now and then focus on the good.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!