Fastenal

Fastenal Reviews

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015

Leland Hein

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 50 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Not very employee friendly

Former Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule is great. You can leave work at work. Really relaxed atmosphere. Co workers are great. Build a lot of connections

Cons

Pay is awful for what we did. You get the feeling that you are disposable/ replaceable. Upper Management is always complaining about what we did wrong. The store employees are blamed for 90% of the companies problems, even problems that only upper management seem to have access to fix or change. Had to push programs that seemed to be very ineffective and unresponsible.

Cherish your employees. Listen to their concerns. Definitely raise pay to create harder working, motivated sales people. Try to communicate to your employees by other means than a negative video on our intranet site.

Love the work and my fellow employees.

Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about industrial sales. My fellow employees are wonderful. The pay is good for a part time job.

Cons

Wish they would move up faster, it's hard having a family on part time pay. Reward the employees who work hard better. Fix the pay/commission scale for osp's.

Use a system that offers more consistent pay to Gm's, Osp's. When you say your going to do something honor your word.

Good Job experience, HORRIBLE compensation

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great job to have if you are in college and needing a part time job. They will give you the experience you need to go on to better outside sales jobs.

Cons

The pay structure is terrible. Your base salary is very low, and you only get 2% commission on your sales unless you grow, and even then it is not very much at all. If they "value" their employees like they say they do they would pay us more, instead of filling their pockets with our hard earned money. They also have very high expectations for us Sales guys, which I would not mind working very hard to hit, if I knew that I was going to be compensated well for.

PAY US MORE. This is a great company to work for and I really enjoy working here, but I am forced to look elsewhere due to not being able to provide for my family. If you value your hard working sales people like me you would listen to us and compensate us more.

Pay structure is an embarrassment

Current Employee - General Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great people work here. Learned an enormous amount here and have become a jack of all trades.

Cons

Extremely demanding environment. Cannot stress enough how over worked and underpaid as well as under appreciated the sales force of this company is.

New compensation plan takes the inventory at the branch you work for and deducts a 1/2 percent from the sales people's commission checks each month.... Does not seem like much until you realize a half percent of 100k is 500 dollars of your hard earned and more than deserved money over slow moving inventory that often had been there well before you got there. This compensation plan was rolled out and originally was set to 1% until corporate realized they would lose every good person at the branch level while filling their pockets. Unbearably angry at how over worked and underpaid I am. Used to love working here but with not being able to keep a sales person to save my life due to compensation as well as streaking goal for the past year by myself with terrible pay to boot and very long hours (often 6-730 at night because I am a hard working and loyal person).

Poor pay and failure to care/listen by corporate has caused me to seek a better working environment. In fastenals defense I am very glad I worked here because it has prepared me for everything I will ever face in a work environment (we do all the sales billing collections receiving inventory management cutting po's to vendors etc etc at the branch level. We even sell trucks!!) this however also has a major downside when it goes under appreciated as a number getting all this done and undercutting that "number" with horrible pay that gets increasingly worse every time the structure changes is just embarrassing. This inventory pay cut should involve a class action lawsuit I don't know how it is even legal. Shame on corporate as I bleed blue and will always hold fond memories of Fastenal but due to pay I can not allow myself to stay here. I am much more valuable than this company is willing to pay. Come here to learn but DO NOT come here to stay until this company wants to actually value it's employees and prove this by rewarding them with good compensation. (Not a random xmas box with peanuts and sausages) although I admittedly enjoy this box other companies are giving much better bonuses to its employees.

Listen to every review on here. Your respect to the employees is a joke (not as far as personal treatment but as far as pay). If you respected the sales force which is what grows the company, then you would respect them by paying them fairly. I read reviews from other companies and very little will I see compensation as a major issue, yet here that is in just about every single review. Take a hint no one is asking for a million dollars people are just asking to be valued for what they are actually worth. If your built on integrity and respect you would show your employees the same appreciation you try to show your shareholders. Another one bites the dust. Time to take advantage of the next college kid out the chutes until he wises up. This hard work and long hours will go more appreciated in many other work spaces.

Positive work environment, Sales driven, and god support.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Focus on training, but not until you've failed a few times.
    Many opportunities to be trained, on the clock, travel paid, throughout the year
    Minimal Supervision over sales, but I had a great manager.

Cons

100% numerically driven
    Will toss you out if not putting out over a short period of time
    VERY expensive insurance
    Long hours, but weekends off

Invest in a better insurance options - preventative measures (gym memberships, etc.)

Part time sales associate for two years.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in West Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in West Richland, WA

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great bosses who are very understanding and accommodating. Most holiday's the store was closed. The relationship developed with co-workers and frequent customers is great. The job can be really fun and even on the worst days it really isn't even as bad as a good day working at a regular retail store.

Cons

The company is very top heavy. The people at the store level are highly underpaid and the people higher up are grossly overpaid. The distribution of not only wealth, but power will really get annoying. It doesn't affect the part-time employees as much, but having to work with the full-time employees who are directly affected by the higher ups gets annoying. This pressure is found nation wide.

Pay your employees more. Stop running the company quarter to quarter and look at the long-term outcomes. Let your stores take a little more control of their operation, some of the managers have a great idea and relationship with their customers. Your obsession over margins is losing a massive amount of long-term revenue at decent margin. Judge your stores on their ability to produce PROFIT, not high margin.

A good position for someone interested in developing a sales and/or management career.

Former Employee - Sales Trainee
    Former Employee - Sales Trainee

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours for college students and pretty decent pay for college students. Also, the company is very committed to growth of their employees.

Cons

Nothing really negative to say about the company. However, I did discover that sales positions are not for me.

Great place for temp work

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

usually get to work around good people, management is nice

Cons

pay is low especially in high cost of living areas

pay better

Good pay for hourly employee and flexible hours around classes

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay for part-time
    good training

Cons

A lot of work and not enough pay

Spread the wealth, OS and managerial positions should be payed more

Its a Job

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Flexible time, opportunity to grow

Cons

Low pay, high expectations, irregular hours

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Delivering material