Fastenal Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Leland Hein

Pros
  • Good part time job for high school or college students (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • For part time employees their are ZERO benefits (in 50 reviews)

• Good luck advancing if you aren't friends with upper management (in 39 reviews)

1. Basic Review

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great experience. Lots of advancement opportunities.

Cons

Not as "team" oriented as they make it seem

Advice to Management

Quit hiring idiots. This company has such a high turnover rate because they will hire anyone.

2. Outside Sales

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing and they almost always promote from within.

Cons

Hours asked of salaried employees (50 hour weeks). Pay is the bottom tier for other people in different companies with the same job. New pay scale sucks.

Advice to Management

Pay your OSP's better. You consistently say that the OSP's are the foot soldiers of the company, yet you don't pay us. The new pay scale hurts more than it benefits.

3. Intern

I worked at Fastenal part-time

Pros

The group I worked with were very friendly

Cons

online application was very vague and I feel like it did not ask about me

Advice to Management

Get to know your employs. Not over the internet

5. part-time retail worker at Fastenal

Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee
    Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Coworkers, including managers, are all very nice. I can honestly say that they are just good people to work with. Weekends are free. If you like a fast-paced environment, you will never get bored.

Cons

Promotion is based on whether or not you have completed video training. If you're a hard worker on the floor, a hands-on-quick-on-your-feet at learning the technology and products but don't have the time to do video training because you're working the floor, somebody else less qualified will get the promotion. Merit is not fairly assessed. There is a lot to learn, between using the complicated Inventory Management System and learning the products, starting out can feel like you're drowning because you're expected to answer phone calls, figure out how to use Point-of-Sale system, look up inventory and be conversant on products (catalogue is a doorstop, a whole lot of stuff), find products in disorganized store, troubleshoot... People promoted to managerial positions might be good at salesmanship but lousy at managing: lack of communication of goals and the steps to achieve them, failure to acknowledge those who do well, failure to address poor performance before it's too late so store is disorganized and people are not held accountable nor are they clear on what it is they must do. The company has a very lean financial structuring: lunch is only 20 minutes (no breaks) though pay is decent; you pay for your own uniform through their own distribution and it's rather expensive polo/t-shirt. Bad air circulation so summer can be steamy and hot in building and when a big part of your job is physically moving products (50 lb packages at times), can be miserable.

Advice to Management

I am only rating General and District Manger but there should be more regular meetings to address problems and discuss plans for how the store can improve. More communications with staff about how they can contribute to the store. More of a heads-up when important functions come up so employees don't look stupid.

6. Outside Sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fastenal is a terrific company to start a career with. It is a great place to hone sales skills and build relationships.

Cons

I worked at a few different locations within the same district and every one was run completely different by the respective general manager. The pay is substantially low for the work that is needed. Commission structure is always changing. Not enough employees. Way behind in terms of technology.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and pay them fairly. Make things become more standardized throughout the company. Give sales people tablets or iPads. Give an actual bonus or nothing at all at the end of the year. Ditch the stupid box of snacks. What a joke.

7. It's a good starter sales job

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is great...Monday through Friday 7-5. There is room to advance, but not likely past District Manager. As a full time employee, they send you to training conferences out of state, fully paid. The job is easy.

Cons

The pay is low and some customers are rude to female workers.

8. Outside Sales

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Very flexible. Great pay if you work for it.

Cons

Base pay. LONG hours. Fast turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Make more interns full time. Its better sometimes to have 1 full timer over 2 part timers.

9. Hard work is rewarded, but if you do put in the time you will struggle.

Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

- Great opportunities for advancement. - In my experience, promotions are due performance not tenure. If you work hard you can move up quickly. - You are given the ability to give yourself raises by increasing your sales. - Fastenal is only open weekdays. This means no nights and weekends! Most branches are open M-F, 7-5. Even if you work all day every day, a 50 hour week is not unexpected for a management position. Most managers work something in the 7-4 range. (This would be tedious however for one of the sales positions who are not receiving the same type of compensation if you were forced to work the entire day. This will largely depend on your GM but I have not seen Outside Sales forced to work these hours often).

Cons

- With smaller branch sizes, things can become overwhelming if one or two employees move on or quit. - As with any commissioned sales job, if you have a poor sales month, it will reflect on your check. - There are some branches that are less desirable to work at or be assigned to because the sales opportunities are not as great due to a smaller market or poor local economy. However, in my experience, if you do well you will have the ability to transfer to a more desirable store after the standard two your commitment at a location.

Advice to Management

I believe things are currently moving in the right direction. The increased investment in store personnel was needed. Keep this direction up!

10. Sales support

Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time

Pros

Great sales experience Great employees Flexible hours Opportunities for advancement No weekends!

Cons

None in my opinion

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Best job I've ever had

11. Sales Trainee

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for part time employee with opportunity to learn the sales industry as well as how to build up customer relations

Cons

As a part time employee you are not made for commission so all of your new contracts and all of your sales are just rewarded with a pat on the back

Advice to Management

Allow part timers who go above and beyond their job description the ability to earn a commission check so that they are more likely to stay with the company longer

RSS Feed </> Embed