Fastenal Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Bright beginnings but the shine fades quickly.

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely good employee discount. If you are a tinkerer in your spare time consider how cheap a lot of your supplies you need to get will be as a perk.

Cons

For part time employees their are ZERO benefits. Your pay is also unchanging based on seniority, time spent with the company and even things like the district being severely understaffed presenting a shortage of labor. From what I am told the District Managers set pay. You are told to move up but with this idea of everyone always moving up it is hard to keep good ground level sales support staffed so the store is constantly revolving sales support which stresses the manager. Unless your labor force is willing to put up with terrible benefits and a lack of advancement within a position do not become a GM here, you will be highly overworked.

This seems to be a problem with the company as a whole, constantly training new hires to fill the lower end roles is extremely detrimental to your company. I have been with my branch almost a year and have seen a very high turnover rate in my district. The kind of work ethic you get from the average person when you refuse any kind of benefits or incentive to continue with your company in a part time capacity is going to be low. Couple this with the idea that was thrown at me by a DM that "you are part time and cannot accept as much responsibility" is ludicrous.

My pay should reflect me as a worker providing a benefit to the company. As time goes on I have become more highly skilled at running my branch but my pay does not reflect that. I am given praise in place of a raise. This is NOT a family business I am here to make money, that is why Fastenal is here and that is why I am incredibly insulted my time is worth less because I won't make myself a salary slave to your company.

As a final note, if your entire region is not even close to meeting goal, perhaps consider that not having adequate sales support and OSP's is maybe the reason your GM's cannot get out and sell and is the very reason you are FAILING to achieve your sales goals. You milk the bottom people on the rung for everything but won't throw them a tiny bone but this cripples your store management. An incredibly short-sighted and idiotic policy.

Overwork you

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have a lot of customers to address everyday is what kept me up beat whilst working here. You need more customers to have larger numbers for your branch to then get more commissions.

Cons

They overwork you so much. Working atleast 7-5 if you are a manager. Cold calling is not the way to go at all. With starting salary of around 35k it's not worth the stress from the heckling for your dm

Not much training

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

learning experience if you don't know much about nuts bolts etc

Cons

no training, inadequate management not open on weekends

try training your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to gain sales experience.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of help and training to start you off in sales. Pretty fair salary plus commission pay scale.

Cons

You'll never make serious money until you move up the chain, your commission can depend a lot on your territory.

Very good experience in industrial sales but work hard for it

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Girard, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Girard, OH

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

solid company
    room to move up
    good 401K and decent insurance
    good experience

Cons

too frugal all around.
    need more help in the stores
    too top heavy
    high turnover makes it hard to be successful

provide more help for your stores. Pay the people that bring in the money a more competitive pay so they stick around longer. I.E outside sales and store managers.

No solid direction, district manager spent more time at home during work hours

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great people/customers, weekends off, long hours but goes by quickly , I enjoy working at Fastenal

Cons

Long hours little , very little support, at least in the district I work in, employees are wasting too much time looking to see if the district manager is at home as opposed to helping branches, seeing customers

Regional VP needs to develop a strict accountability program for district managers, needs to show they are assisting their employees

Part Time

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay for a college student, flexible, no weekends, all holidays off, great work experience

Cons

28 hour work restriction, only way to move up is to move, horrible staffing

Staff the stores as needed there are always either too many or not enough people in the store there is no in between. Reward the people who make you money, that is not always the GM, OSP's are horribly paid for the amount of work they do and there are too many restrictions and factors that go into getting a bonus. Management is to worried about getting a high margin rather than helping the customers.

Decent

Former Employee - Sales Support  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Houston, TX

I worked at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers, Discounts, Company trucks, off weekends, flexibility

Cons

Hours, pay, benefits, sone of the locations, under staffed, slow at times

Quit nickel and diming your part timers. Run more employees at each branch!

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint George, UT

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product to sell, Accounts were fun and I developed some great professional contacts

Cons

In my area the districts and regions changed about once a year, making it impossible to get any upper management support.

The base pay was low

A "Seasoned" Fastenal Review

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

The 5 day work week is nice. The work is not difficult. They are financially solid, so there are no worries about vendors not accepting orders or payroll issues. Great way to build contacts in many different fields.

Cons

Just like any company, it comes down management. If you have the right manager(s), its much better. Pricing can be high on some items making it more difficult to sell those products. 50 hour weeks and low pay rates make it difficult to retain good employees.

Improve distribution. Waiting for 1 to 2 weeks for product is unacceptable. Competitors are delivering within a couple of days.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!