Fastenal Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Leland Hein

Pros
  • Good part time job for high school or college students (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • For part time employees their are ZERO benefits (in 50 reviews)

• Good luck advancing if you aren't friends with upper management (in 39 reviews)

1. In Will we trust

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Scranton, PA

Pros

Autonomy of the branch - love being able to run my business and market with their money Merit Pay - if you ain't growing you will eventually feel it in your bank account Benefits package Training

Cons

Inexperienced branch managers Sometimes reward short term successes with promotions only to see those people fail as managers

Advice to Management

Listen to the sales and support people, the best aspect of the branch philosophy (autonomy) can be destroyed by a manager who forgets to work and only seeks to manage

2. Great Job Economy is not affecting it.

Current Employee - Part Time Support in Ridgecrest, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Support in Ridgecrest, CA

Pros

Great room to improve and move up the corporate ladder.Great District mangers, Managers,

Cons

Part-Time is really part time. But it is also a very proud place to work, you get to work with all the big companys in your town and meet high up people. fastenal also gives you great people skills, you have to learn to communicate well with others which will improve your skills for later in life.

Advice to Management

Give part-time at least 25 hours to keep them here. Tell the part timers that they are doing a good job when they are. and have district managers not only talk to the osp's and managers but also the little people, because i am seeing now that part timers are just as important as the ceo to run a store correctly.

3. Fastenal Rocks the Western Front!

Current Employee - General Manager in Ridgecrest, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Ridgecrest, CA

Pros

I think that the best reasons to work for Fastenal are the fact that there is not a major amount of pressure to achieve things that are out of reach. The goals are set high but not unrealistic and they are always at one point or another, achievable. You are praised enough for your hard work and not reprimanded more than needed when markers are not hit. They have good benifits, and as long as your a hard worker you do not need to be superbly intelligent to work in management. They assume that someone who works hard and is trained in the field from thier school of business is perfectly fine for the job.

Cons

I would have to say there are quite a few downsides, but the perks outweigh the downers. For starters, I think that there is a lot that is expected thoughout the day and depending on the branch, these cannot all be completed in the assumed time frame. My store has more customer walk-ins than many others. This causes my in-store support guy to not be able to do his main job, so my manager gets on me about that, so to solve that I will take the in-store customers instead and then I am not able to do my main job to its full capacity. This causes for some frustration.

Advice to Management

To senior management, I would say, set high goals, keep on everyone about selling; but do take into consideration the different branches situations because some may be busier than others, some are different from others so to send an email to everyone saying to do something by a certain time may not be possible, afterall each branch operates on only three employees.

5. Good place to get started in sales

Current Employee - Sales Support in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Carbondale, IL

Pros

Flexible with part time hours. There is plenty potential for working your way to a sales representative job. Decent pay, rarely work weekends.

Cons

Must know a lot about industrial and construction supplies. Training is available.

Advice to Management

Work harder to promote individuals who show potential.

I am proud to work here!

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

-Great place to learn sales -Great opportunity for advancement between Sales Support and General Manager(I worked part-time Sales Support for 7months; Outside Sales 2 years 1mo, then General Manager) I cant yet speak from personal experience for advancement beyond GM. -Good pay for what you do as Sales Support -Decent pay for work done in Outside Sales, if you are effective and efficient with your time 50+ hours really isn't necessary. -Good minimum pay for GMs (50K), new policy for 2012. This is good for NEW stores and stores in POOR markets (I have worked in both). New store GMs and GMs in poor markets used to be under compensated for the work they did. I think this amends that issue. Just remember if you aren't on your way to earning 50k based on normal salary and commission you probably wont keep your job. -Full Time employees have lots of opportunities for professional development through Fastenal School of Business -An employees willingness to learn, and grow into a better sales person and leader is key for success here. But that's no different from any other job. -If you have good manager over you, you will like what you do here. Unfortunately Fastenal isnt perfect and there are bad managers out there. -Decentralized decision making from the corporate level. YOU run your business unit how you see fit to achieve success. If you dont succeed its likely your own fault. -Ask for help(be the squeaky wheel) and you'll get it. -Communication is improving within company. -HUGE opportunities with vending solutions for long term growth & profitability -Medical coverage is good

Cons

-Dont expect a raise in your base pay. It would be nice but these raises are few and far between and usually go to employees that dont plan to advance beyond their current position after being there for several years. -If you are under bad leadership in your store or district you job probably sucks. However, thats true anywhere you work. -Communication is improving but still needs work. -If your thinking is short term, I want it now, you probably wont like your job.

Advice to Management

-Make sure your GMs and DMs are telling new hires exactly what to expect. Some of them are "selling" new people on what "could be" and leaving out what the reality of what day one on the job really will be like. We have a great company and we don't have to sell people to join us. -Continue moving in the right direction with communication improvements. -Look into what it will take to give raises in base pay, and make it happen. It really doesn't take much of an increase to keep your good employees from looking for another job. Dont guarantee raises, just give them to the people who deserve them. -I am proud to work for a company that has values that align with my own!

7. great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Concord, CA

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

at the fastenal in concord california there are good pay and benefits. If one is having a hard time getting a career started then this is the place to go.

Cons

not a lot of work to do, but one can fill up their free time with tgraining programs that can help to elevate one's career.

8. Great work experience, covering numerous aspects of business

Current Employee - Sales Support in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Part time pay, job security, co-workers. Great experience for anyone looking for part time work, they expect you to stay with the company and when you perform well you are rewarded for it.

Cons

Low starting salary with limited advancement in Full Time. Either way the company is straight forward and does well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same

It was fun!

Former Employee - Sales Support in Cranbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Cranbury, NJ

I worked at Fastenal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss was the best person to work with! Holding a job while attending school is difficult but life is easier when the people you work with can relate. An added bonus is holding a part time job that directly relates to the major course of study. This opportunity was given to me by FASTENAL and I would recommend using this part time job as a way to help pay for school tuition and experience on a resume.

Cons

When work was slow, finding things to do would be difficult. Making sales and keeping customers happy is good but when the time comes to expand the customer base it is difficult. Different areas are served by different branches and encroachment onto another branch's territory would be akin to taking sales away from them and vice versa. Meeting deadlines and tasks were easy but if not managed properly, work would pile up and the backlog of orders would grow at a very fast rate. When software problems came up, the only way to fix the issues were to stay on the phone for about 20 minutes before actually talking to a real person. These things didn't happen often and so in conclusion, the overall experience was great.

Advice to Management

Make it more intellectually stimulating

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - District Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fastenal has been a great place to work and grow as a business person. It's a very fast paced company that innovative company that has strong moral values towards customers and employees. Management is always fair and reasonable.

Cons

Not gonna make $1M a year working for this company, but the right mindset and work ethic will give you a very competitive pay amount.

Advice to Management

Keep developing good people. There's a lot of room for growth and we're going after it.

11. Excellent Company, Great structure

Former Employee - General Manager in Summerdale, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Summerdale, AL

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, support, and guidance from corporate employees is second to NONE for my work experience. Especially rare to find in a "large company" fellow peers really seem to care for the company and for each other.

Cons

The only slightly questionable part of my experience I suppose is that I would have appreciated higher pay

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, and MAYBE, just MAYBE hire me back soon!!!! I miss the people and the company

RSS Feed </> Embed