Fastenal Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Leland Hein

Pros
  • Good part time job for high school or college students (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • For part time employees their are ZERO benefits (in 50 reviews)

• Good luck advancing if you aren't friends with upper management (in 39 reviews)

1. Outside Sales

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing and they almost always promote from within.

Cons

Hours asked of salaried employees (50 hour weeks). Pay is the bottom tier for other people in different companies with the same job. New pay scale sucks.

Advice to Management

Pay your OSP's better. You consistently say that the OSP's are the foot soldiers of the company, yet you don't pay us. The new pay scale hurts more than it benefits.

2. Intern

I worked at Fastenal part-time

Pros

The group I worked with were very friendly

Cons

online application was very vague and I feel like it did not ask about me

Advice to Management

Get to know your employs. Not over the internet

3. Rather not say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

No nights, weekends or holidays.

Cons

In 8 years we have gotten one raise and that was 3 years ago, not sure when the next one will be. No bereavement benefit. Only 5 paid holidays and only 5 sick days per year that can NOT be carried over.

Advice to Management

COMPENSATE your employers and you are making $$$$$

5. part-time retail worker at Fastenal

Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee
    Current Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Coworkers, including managers, are all very nice. I can honestly say that they are just good people to work with. Weekends are free. If you like a fast-paced environment, you will never get bored.

Cons

Promotion is based on whether or not you have completed video training. If you're a hard worker on the floor, a hands-on-quick-on-your-feet at learning the technology and products but don't have the time to do video training because you're working the floor, somebody else less qualified will get the promotion. Merit is not fairly assessed. There is a lot to learn, between using the complicated Inventory Management System and learning the products, starting out can feel like you're drowning because you're expected to answer phone calls, figure out how to use Point-of-Sale system, look up inventory and be conversant on products (catalogue is a doorstop, a whole lot of stuff), find products in disorganized store, troubleshoot... People promoted to managerial positions might be good at salesmanship but lousy at managing: lack of communication of goals and the steps to achieve them, failure to acknowledge those who do well, failure to address poor performance before it's too late so store is disorganized and people are not held accountable nor are they clear on what it is they must do. The company has a very lean financial structuring: lunch is only 20 minutes (no breaks) though pay is decent; you pay for your own uniform through their own distribution and it's rather expensive polo/t-shirt. Bad air circulation so summer can be steamy and hot in building and when a big part of your job is physically moving products (50 lb packages at times), can be miserable.

Advice to Management

I am only rating General and District Manger but there should be more regular meetings to address problems and discuss plans for how the store can improve. More communications with staff about how they can contribute to the store. More of a heads-up when important functions come up so employees don't look stupid.

6. good colleagues, a Difficult Work Environment

Former Employee - Machinist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Machinist in Houston, TX

I worked at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire you as a full time employee with health insurance and overtime pay. Weekends off. it's a good place for entry level person to start working and learning things.

Cons

A Difficult Work Environment in their shop. the pay was not fair. Heavy Workload

Advice to Management

pay your employees fair !

7. Sales Trainee

Current Employee - Sales Trainee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Trainee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, comprehensive and self-paced training, the ability to own your success.

Cons

Pay is dismal. I am currently searching a new job because I am underemployed. Base pay is extremely low and commission is taxed so highly that it's not worth getting.

Advice to Management

Raise base salary, get rid of commissions and instead offer a year-end bonus for top earners.

8. Outside Sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fastenal is a terrific company to start a career with. It is a great place to hone sales skills and build relationships.

Cons

I worked at a few different locations within the same district and every one was run completely different by the respective general manager. The pay is substantially low for the work that is needed. Commission structure is always changing. Not enough employees. Way behind in terms of technology.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and pay them fairly. Make things become more standardized throughout the company. Give sales people tablets or iPads. Give an actual bonus or nothing at all at the end of the year. Ditch the stupid box of snacks. What a joke.

9. Its too bad they dont value their employees

Former Employee - National Accounts in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - National Accounts in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you prove that you are a quality employee, they are willing to spend big money training you to become an expert in a specific industry.

Cons

They have a performance based pay system that basically resets every year. This pretty much guarantees that you will make the same money year in and year out. My last year in the position, I was doing double the sales dollars as when I started in the position three years prior and was making the same money.

Advice to Management

Value your people, especially tenured employees that have industry specific expertise. Letting ten year + employees leave without even attempting to retain them will be your downfall as a company. Quit with the "everyone is replaceable" mentality.

10. Outside Sales

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Very flexible. Great pay if you work for it.

Cons

Base pay. LONG hours. Fast turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Make more interns full time. Its better sometimes to have 1 full timer over 2 part timers.

11. It's a good starter sales job

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is great...Monday through Friday 7-5. There is room to advance, but not likely past District Manager. As a full time employee, they send you to training conferences out of state, fully paid. The job is easy.

Cons

The pay is low and some customers are rude to female workers.

RSS Feed </> Embed