Fastenal Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

CDL DRIVER POSITION Not to bad, aggravating at times...

Current Employee - CDL Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, vacation from day one, Every Saturday off, 9 major holidays off with pay. Equipment is taken care of. Max 2 day routes (14 hr, 10hr break and then 4-6 hr back). Lots of one day routes. Amazing profit sharing program. Lots of opportunities to move around. ****( pro's VS. cons ) *** considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Cons

Sitting on dock without pay until your trailer is loaded. Medical insurance for a company of this size should be more affordable. Family coverage is about $470 a month. No FSA or co-pay's its straight deductable and co-insurance. They are huge on promoting from with in so this means lots of inexperience in a variety of postions, sometimes your management. High turn over everywhere, stores, hubs.... it seems the higher up are always trying to figure out ways to pay you less.. while the big boys are fluffing their bank accounts. ****( pro's VS. cons ) *** considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Dont preach communicate communicate communicate to everyone when you dont do it yourselves. I have been sitting in the office when a traffic manager will send an email to a person in the same office, a person sitting not 10 feet away when they could have just spoke the words...seems kind of silly to me that you just wont speak to one another.

Bright beginnings but the shine fades quickly.

Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely good employee discount. If you are a tinkerer in your spare time consider how cheap a lot of your supplies you need to get will be as a perk.

Cons

For part time employees their are ZERO benefits. Your pay is also unchanging based on seniority, time spent with the company and even things like the district being severely understaffed presenting a shortage of labor. From what I am told the District Managers set pay. You are told to move up but with this idea of everyone always moving up it is hard to keep good ground level sales support staffed so the store is constantly revolving sales support which stresses the manager. Unless your labor force is willing to put up with terrible benefits and a lack of advancement within a position do not become a GM here, you will be highly overworked.

This seems to be a problem with the company as a whole, constantly training new hires to fill the lower end roles is extremely detrimental to your company. I have been with my branch almost a year and have seen a very high turnover rate in my district. The kind of work ethic you get from the average person when you refuse any kind of benefits or incentive to continue with your company in a part time capacity is going to be low. Couple this with the idea that was thrown at me by a DM that "you are part time and cannot accept as much responsibility" is ludicrous.

My pay should reflect me as a worker providing a benefit to the company. As time goes on I have become more highly skilled at running my branch but my pay does not reflect that. I am given praise in place of a raise. This is NOT a family business I am here to make money, that is why Fastenal is here and that is why I am incredibly insulted my time is worth less because I won't make myself a salary slave to your company.

As a final note, if your entire region is not even close to meeting goal, perhaps consider that not having adequate sales support and OSP's is maybe the reason your GM's cannot get out and sell and is the very reason you are FAILING to achieve your sales goals. You milk the bottom people on the rung for everything but won't throw them a tiny bone but this cripples your store management. An incredibly short-sighted and idiotic policy.

Not much training

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

learning experience if you don't know much about nuts bolts etc

Cons

no training, inadequate management not open on weekends

try training your employees

Solid Start to Sales Career

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Vineland, NJ
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Vineland, NJ

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Fastenal for two years, first as an intern then as an outside sales rep. It was a good environment and I had the tools to be my own boss. I loved going outside for sales calls. Fast advancement if you try.

Cons

District Managers can be tricky but if you get a good one all they ask is that you hit your sales goals.

Less nitpicky and let the reps and GM's to their jobs.

Day to day is very much the same.

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Day to day operations consist of everything from cold calling to counting inventory to collections. It is a business where you can learn a little about a lot.

Cons

Once you get to GM status, there isn't much room for advancement, even though upper management swears there is. Stores are encouraged to act as a franchise, but at the end of the day corporate complains about things individual stores do.

Stop doing things the way they were done 50 years and have a progressive attitude. Quit focusing only on the bad and every now and then focus on the good.

Won't get rich

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Very stable and a lot of freedom

Cons

Company doesn't value performers, hard to get a raise........they just tell you to sell more. Very very cheap all around, no frills

You will lose your good people if you don't reward them, quit pandering to the bottom feeders.

Overwork you

Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have a lot of customers to address everyday is what kept me up beat whilst working here. You need more customers to have larger numbers for your branch to then get more commissions.

Cons

They overwork you so much. Working atleast 7-5 if you are a manager. Cold calling is not the way to go at all. With starting salary of around 35k it's not worth the stress from the heckling for your dm

Very good experience in industrial sales but work hard for it

Current Employee - General Manager in Girard, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Girard, OH

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

solid company
    room to move up
    good 401K and decent insurance
    good experience

Cons

too frugal all around.
    need more help in the stores
    too top heavy
    high turnover makes it hard to be successful

provide more help for your stores. Pay the people that bring in the money a more competitive pay so they stick around longer. I.E outside sales and store managers.

Come here to build your resume only, then dump them

Former Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good for a part time job. High turnover leads to a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

After you advance, you typically get let go for "underperforming" once you start making too much money. Company changes commission structure frequently to stiff hard working employees that probably make on average 32k/year as an OSP, 45k/year as a GM. Company went on a hiring spree, then fired most of those employees once quarterly earnings report was released.

Take less money and share with the people that make the company run. You can't run a company entirely from a spreadsheet. Take a project management class to make decisions in advance of the problem, so there are less fires to put out.

Decent place to gain sales experience.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of help and training to start you off in sales. Pretty fair salary plus commission pay scale.

Cons

You'll never make serious money until you move up the chain, your commission can depend a lot on your territory.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo