Fastenal Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 43 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Tranie

I worked at Fastenal

Pros

Good Hours, Good work environment

Cons

Advancement leaves you will more stress for not very much more pay

A love hate relationship

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pretty decent benefits and a great 401k package. Lots of little perks (sporting event's, vendor demos) that will keep you happy for a little while. Meet lots of people. The Fastenal School of Business is a great resource to improve your skills.

Cons

Long hours, lack of leadership, very high turnover. very confusing pay structure. Accepting certain positions will basically put a ceiling on your career even though it is presented as an equal position.

Better Communication

Great Training Program & Advancement Opportunity

Former Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Part-Time Fastenal Sales Trainee in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Fastenal for less than a year

Pros

The materials in their training program are really informative and I think the interactive training modules are really helpful. Opportunity to advance in the company. Work in Sales and drive the company truck to meet with clients. Working part-time gives a flexible schedule. Decentralized company so it is like you own your own branch, but all branches have access to a wide network of corporate assistance.

Cons

Advancement opportunity can mean moving to another store or city. Sometimes boring and unfulfilling..

Positivity

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be better.

Former Employee - Unit Load Picker  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Unit Load Picker in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers are really nice people, they will listen to you and help you. The company also has flexible schedule, so if you are in school, the managers would be empathetic. Also there is some great people working there. The pay is ok.

Cons

There is no opportunity to grow, you will be doing the same thing every day, so the job is very repetitive. You will be a part-time employee for a long time. I only saw ONE full time position available, and who knows who gets it, also no benefits.

Good place to work while in school

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Akron, OH

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours made juggling life as a full-time student and a part-time employee very easy. Each store environment is greatly influenced by it's GM. I had an amazing GM who worked with my schedule and was a great leader/manager. Then I was transferred to a store where the GM was a jerk with an ego and a military-style work ethic. All of the sudden, my job became hell. Overall, Fastenal is fun, laid back, and was a great part-time job - if you are lucky enough to be placed at a store with a good GM.

Cons

Upper management (the district managers - I worked under two different one during my three-year employment) are the cliche "how did they get that high in the company with how emotionally unintelligent and lack of knowledge?" types. But you do not have to deal with them too often, especially as a part-timer.

Work environment is highly dependent on each individual store GM.

Part-time

Current Employee - Sasles Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sasles Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Works well with college scheduel.

Cons

Repetitive work on a daily basis.

Good people.

Promises...promised!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Looks good from the outside....but too many unfulfilled promised of additional staff and growth potential

Cons

Chasing down paychecks for bonuses and commissions! Come on...is this a way to run a multi million dollar organization. New management needed on a district level...

Listen to the workers at ground level..

Recieving

Current Employee - Receiving  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Receiving in Denton, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule best for a college student

Cons

unorganized theirs so many back order

Employe people who actually want to work

Beware!! Good place to get your feet wet, but hard to get out of!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is pretty decent, your part of your insurance coverage every month is going to be pretty high, other benefits are pretty standard. I was a sales associate so my job was pretty limited to working operations. The job was pretty laid back.

Cons

There is no guarantee for anything. You live under the constant threat of having your overtime cut, commission cut, or your job cut. The district managers live in this pretend world where they totally do not rely on reality for their understanding of your market. They never visit customer, never involve themselves in your business, and then once a month they come to the store and complain because they think YOU aren't doing anything.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!!! stop throwing commission back and forth, just get a standard and work in that direction. Shareholders are important, but without your employees you wouldn't have the shareholders so think about us first!!!!

Good for a resume builder only

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Learn the basics of running your business to a certain extent.

Cons

If you want to be successful you have to be willing to give up your personal life, Management can care less if you put in personal time because it is expected of you. In order to move up in the company you have to align yourself with management and hope they like you. Plenty of people have been promoted over better employees because who they knew. Pay is only great if you are located at a branch that has potential to grow. More times than not you find yourself overworking and one little mistake and they will replace you.

Ease off your people especially the ones you know are not going to leave the company because they have a family to provide for. Don't threaten them so they go home wondering if they are being replaced. If they are doing a good job just let them know instead of taking advantage of them.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!