Fastenal

Updated January 24, 2015
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 50 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

A roller coaster of misdirection.

Current Employee - National Accounts Sales
    Current Employee - National Accounts Sales

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- You get a laptop and can work remotely in almost any position that isn't inside of a retail store.

- It is difficult if you're not personable, but it is possible to move up within the company rather quickly. Just say goodbye to your social life, or you better at least be married with no hobbies.

- This is tough because there's almost nothing good about this company.

Cons

- Pay is not competitive. At all. Upper level management is being severely underpaid. Mid-level managers are being severely underpaid. Store workers are being severely underpaid. Part time workers are being severely underpaid. You catch my drift. None of this applies if you live in the mid-west, which has a significantly lower cost of living than either of the coasts. Fastenal seems to think it's a good idea to generalize their pay range across the entire country, not factoring in the higher cost of living in places outside of Minnesota. We have also been riding the coattails of a previously "high" starting pay. $10 an hour for a part time position in 2007 was great when minimum wage was low. Now what is it? $11. In 8 years it's been bumped by $1 when the national minimum wage has went from $5.25 to $7.25 and is close to $10 in states like WA. Adapt, it's your only chance to stay competitive..

- Live in a large city and take public transportation to work? Don't worry about us covering or offering incentive programs for this, because we don't. Your commute is not taken into account at all, especially when you're transferred to a different store. Whether it's 10 minutes or 2 hours away, Fastenal does not care. You're on the hook for getting there and subject to write ups for being late at all.

- Executive level management loves to tell you what to do. They are very keen on flipping the script. Never is growth being down due to their decisions. They refer to anything negative happening as "self-inflicted". The current favorite among employees is a video posted entitled "A Self-Inflicted Pay Cut". If you love being blamed for everything under the sun with a company whose president and CEO can do no wrong, you will love Fastenal.

- Do you like vacation structures? Then don't work here. I'm not even close to joking when I say vacation is tracked by each store, individually, in an excel spreadsheet. If you quit and want to be paid out for your vacation, better hope you can prove validity of your excel sheet because vacation is not tracked or communicated corporately.

- No one knows what they're doing. There are no SOPs set in place for most things. If there are SOPs, they are buried in our antiquated intranet. Almost everything you do is learned by doing. Outlook? Learned by doing. Excel? Learned by doing. Word and Powerpoint? Learned by doing. Dealing with our intricate POS system where millions of customer's accounts and cash are handled? Learned by doing. Etc There is no adequate on-boarding process and this is especially rampant within some of our specialized groups like National Accounts - the folks responsible for multi-million dollar business groups. You are brought on and expected to understand what is going on by default. God forbid you need job training, because at Fastenal you won't get it. They have plenty of online classes, but ironically not a soul can explain to you what your job entails. Fastenal loves to be vague in order to expand your job duties well past what you would expect.

- Titles are used as a strategy for lower pay. "Sales Specialist" is essentially an "Account Manager" at any other company. "Account Manager" is a "Senior Account Manager" at any other company. "Business Sales Specialist" is a "Business Development Manager" at any other company. This is another tool used by the company to justify pay structure.

- Speaking of pay structure, there isn't one. Stores are paid off of an insane spreadsheet calculator. Some divisions are paid off of gross profit. Some are paid off of percentage. DMs are paid off of quarterly bonuses. God knows how the executive levels are paid. No consistency and some areas of the company can actually create their own payscale based on what they do for the company. It's insane and interesting at the same time.

- Last, but not least, you make no difference in the company. Don't get it twisted, this company IS NOT concerned with you or your well being. Your opinion does not matter and everybody knows it. This company is about the stock holders. Point blank, period. We will cut any cost in the world to make our stocks look good. This even includes cutting the amount of deliveries made to the stores. Isn't that a great way to support customers? Decreasing the amount of times a store gets product, meaning they have less on hand for customers. Sound backwards? Welcome to Fastenal. Do you enjoy hydration when you're working? We don't offer that. Water jugs were cut from the stores about 5 years ago to save "about a million dollars a year". Not even a tenth of a percent of our profits, mind you. Most of our stores don't even have hot water heaters. Get used to drinking out of the sink and sharing one bathroom with 5 guys (if your store is even that big). Sounds like a 3 billion dollar company to me.

My entire CON section is pretty good.

There is a corporate wide view of store employees being incompetent. They are given as many barriers as possible when conducting business, and can't competitively price product due to these barriers. So when a store doesn't meet a particular goal or number, they and the GM are deemed unfit for the position. If you RESPECTED the OSPs and GMs instead of painting them as the issue that needs to be fixed, you might find a solution for your incredibly low retention rate.

Depends on who you work for.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hours and Good Training

Cons

Turnover in upper management. 4 district managers in 3 years and the way you get treated is whether or not you are one of those managers "guys" . Working in Slacks in a industrial setting is completely ridiculous.

Less turnover. Give jobs on qualifications, not the Buddy system. Supervise E-mails, some of them are completely degrading and unacceptable for a work place.

Hill

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Akron, OH

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

If you can find good customers, who pay their bill, on time, Fastenal will not raid your check. Your coworkers are like war buddies, if they make it long enough to learn they become like family

Cons

They take your money when customers do not pay, they want you to work hours without pay, hire people who know little if anything about the products, employee turn over is worst I have ever seen, the managers are children, sexual harassments and hostile work environment is rampid, very little help and if you get it all they want is to figure out how to milk more from you, manangers above store level are way out of touch, upper managment is truly arrogant, product managers are ignorant to what they buy and options in the market, this list can go forever

Stop the insanity, hire people who know what they are doing and want to be there. We are not able to succeed when you take away our tools, stop being so cheap and hire laborers without cutting their hours.

Could pay better

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move up and out of the store. Leadership is typically very helpful in seeing you progress. Office is typically a very relaxed environment.

Cons

Sometimes other branches play against you. The pay scale sucks and we are amongst the lowest paid in all of OSP positions.

Increase your pay to the OSP's. After all, we are the boots on the ground making you the money.

Great opportunity if you don't get burned out working 50hrs/week

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Flexibility
    -Great training
    -lots of opportunity to promote
    Great opportunity for people with high scool education
    -anyone willing to learn, take direction and work hard will be successful under their model
    -great co-workers

Cons

-Low pay
    -50+ hour weeks are expected
    -Skeleton staff will burn you out
    -college education has no bearing on your pay.

Be more competitive in salary and commission.
    Improve employee retention the rapid turnover burns out GM's.

Great experience for industrial sales, constantly learning.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, they promote from within, they are located all over the US and world so pretty easy to transfer to a new area should you desire. 3 weeks vacation your first full year

Cons

Sometimes the stress of sales can get to you. Work hours can seem sorta long sometimes.

Invest in advertising. For instance google Adwords so our name gets out there to anyone who does a search for any product that we might carry.

Great opportunity for advancement

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work environment, great employees, decent benefits, no weekends

Cons

salary not great, lifting required

Overral solid internship experience

Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal as an intern

Pros

- Provide you with the necessary training tools to understand the products they offer
    - Pathway for Sales or Management rolls

Cons

- Hours can be strenuous if you're a fulltime student
    - Can be very "by the book"

Good first job for students who are working during college.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Trainee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Trainee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to make decisions on your own, laid-back culture, company trucks.

Cons

Fastenal does NOT offer full-time to anyone, and they cut the part-time hours from 24 to only 17 hours a week due to "company saving during the holidays."

Everyone starts out as part-time, then you get promoted to full-time inside sales, then you become a full-time outside sales person which is commission based.

Tenured Previous Employee

Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved what I did, who I worked with, and the customers we serviced! Previous Management was like family who encouraged, supported, and worked with employees rather than sitting on a pedistal. $10.00 starting p/t hourly wage is customary, once tasks are learned; it can be a fun and easy environment. Benefits for full time employees are very good, especially considering the current Health Care situation!

Cons

Management needed organization, consistancy, management, and human relation skills. Position, Wages, Salary, and Commission are all based on numbers corporately established and may be embellished by the DM; although advancement is encouraged, sometimes the mental, physical, and emotional toll isnt worth it.

Unfortunately, my comments would fall upon deaf ears.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Delivering material