Fathom Communications

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Peter Groome

1. I feel like an entrepreneur here.

Current Employee - Senior Creative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at Fathom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a distinct team culture here that the leadership works hard to preserve. This translates to a stronger sense of collaboration, stronger morale, and stronger work. More than any other agency I've worked at, Fathom also places a large emphasis on collective learning and exposure to new ideas.

Cons

If you want to do your work quietly and not be bothered, Fathom isn't the right environment for you. Everyone is expected to play a significant role here – from entry level up to senior management.

Great Company, Close Minded

I worked at Fathom Communications

Pros

It is like a family. Room for growth.

Cons

The owners are stuck in their ways. Need to evolve. Low Pay. The HR person knows nothing.

Advice to Management

Learn from your employees.

3. Fathom taught me to be entrepreneurial, fast, smart, strategic and above all, creative.

Former Employee - Creative Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fathom Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You want to work at Fathom because it is the antithesis of the large ad agency model. This is where you go to perform on all cylinders at all times. When you’re not solving creative on a brief, you’re being proactive to find more business and grow your team. Chances are, you’ll end up in a new business pitch presenting your own strategic vision or creative thinking. That’s the beauty of Fathom. You’re in control of yours and Fathom’s destiny.

Cons

If you don’t like to work fast, think on your feet, live in a culture of energy and enthusiasm and contribute on more levels than you might be used to, then you’re not going to like it. Fathom is relatively small and every decision, every opinion and every move you make matters. There’s no hiding at Fathom, you are an integral piece of the equation. Period.

5. Fathom is a great place to work

I have been working at Fathom Communications

Pros

Leadership is focused People are wonderful, talented, passionate, hard working Love being and feeling a part of a successful team Culture is good, becoming great the flexibility to get your job done and have time to do other things is there summer Fridays add so many positive benefits, makes workers feel appreciated

Cons

none that I can think of right now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, communication is always welcomed

6. Great Ad Agency to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fathom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team atmosphere and collaboration within different departments was amazing. Great Management and People to work with. Great Perks - Benefits (Insurance, pre-tax transit costs, summer hours)

Cons

I can't really say any cons. I've truly enjoyed working for this agency.

7. Great Agency!

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Fathom Communications

Pros

Great culture, honest and transparent. Awesome people!

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Tough creative challenges. Professional work environment with good office culture/coworkers.

I worked at Fathom Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company incorporates a genuine "Go Deep" philosophy that challenges account and creative to dig past cliche strategies and solutions. The owners of the company hold a strong vision for the company.

Cons

Strong account focus needs to be balanced with an equally strong creative vision. Need a creative leader that has the power to balance account-driven thinking. Often feels like good creative ideas get lost or watered down under the weight of too much strategy/too many strategic cooks in the kitchen. Senior Account management often has last word on creative and creative suffers for it.

Advice to Management

There's definitely an opportunity to more clearly communicate and capitalize on employee strengths, to really see peoples talents and support the growth of those talents within the context of agency needs. Because the agency prides itself on rapid prototyping, and it's a small agency, the burnout factor is higher than most.

9. HORRIBLE.

I worked at Fathom Communications full-time

Pros

Frozen Fridays, benefits, cool coffee, 2 weeks off at the end of the year, spacious desks, and the view of Madison Ave.

Cons

This office runs on gossip (too many girls in one office), too many hours with not enough pay (NO overtime), horrible attitudes (they expect you to know everything), hardly any room for growh, and upper management are HORRIBLE to their entry to junior level employees. My experience at Fathom is a position I have BURIED and I would never relive again. HR does not assist with anything. I could not WAIT to get out there! I learned nothing in a year!

Advice to Management

Please attend management training classes and learn how to speak to people.

Great stepping stone- short term position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fathom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Refine your skill-set as it pertains to your position because most days are routine in what you'll manage.

Cons

You're confined to one project, with very little opportunity to take on additional opportunities. Promotions are hard to come by but working far beyond your title is expected. Lower-level employees are not appreciated though they carry most of the work.

Advice to Management

You're a small shop- recognize those doing the work and allow for opportunity to work on additional projects.

The ship has officially sunk in chicago

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fathom Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only true pro's I can think of are the benefits.... Summer half days and 10 day break at Christmas.

Cons

There really isn't any personal growth because the office was operating on two pieces of business and one of which has recently left. The office culture was dismall at best and senior leadership almost promoted back stabbing and inter-office conflict. All the hard working, optimistic, smart employees left long ago.

Advice to Management

The co-president's really need to get a handle on the work that actually pays the bills. They have let good business walk out the door because they simply didn't like certain key players within the organization and tailored to those who were the first to pull the rug out from under us. Another bit of advice..... re-think your leadership team in chicago. well actually I guess you don't have to now.

RSS Feed </> Embed