Faulkner Hospital

2.8

David J. Trull

friendly environment,

I have been working at Faulkner Hospital

Pros

customer service, friendly faulkner, welcoming

Cons

i dont see any cons

Questionable Leadership/HR needs a big revamp

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Faulkner Hospital full-time

Pros

Great hospital, friendly staff, amazing mission.

Cons

Bullying is treated as a fairly normal part of the office landscape - For example, I was mercilessly bullied by s Senior Officer in my department while the Director turned a blind eye to this behavior. In fact, the Senior Officer was eventually promoted to Director despite the fact that it was well known by many staff members, within multiple hospitals in the Partners Network, that her management style was combative, unnecessarily aggressive, and inappropriate.
    Additionally, it was a tension filled work environment because of long running departmental conflicts that were never resolved by HR. For example, the Fundraising and Marketing department were always at war with each other,which was further exacerbated by the fact that both departments shared the same office space.
    HR was aware of the friction between departments and did nothing, which effectively made the situation increasingly worse from day to day.

Faulkner is a great organization. Unfortunately, in many instances, promotions are based on years of employment at the organization instead of true merit and leadership abilities. Faulkner has a great reputation as a hospital and can effectively recruit highly qualified candidates to fill leadership roles. The institution doesn't always have to tap into their existing pool of employees to fill vacant leadership roles. Unfortunately, institutionalizing this poor recruitment practice means that priority is placed on filling leadership roles with people they know versus identifying and recruiting external hires who have quantifiable and measurable experience in high impact management and workplace practices. This is truly a throw back to a time frame that no longer exists in the marketplace and really inhibits the institution from being on par with other hospitals (BWH, MGH) in the Partners Network.
    HR should also play a stronger role in smoothing out interdepartmental conflicts.
    For example, there are individuals in leadership roles who are abusing their position and working less than 35 hours a week but are being compensated as a full time hire. I know first hand of those who have reported senior managers who are excessively abusing work flexibility and little to no action was applied in rectifying this inappropriate behavior. Shame on HR and what a poor representation of a great institution! In sum, I think the hospital really needs to "clean house" in terms of the Faulkner Human Resources department. I felt as though HR placed more value in processing paperwork instead of creating a sustainable and healthy work environment for ALL employees.

It was one of the most mentally and, exhausting and, most afflcting experience I have had in my life.

Former Intern - Scrub Tech Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Scrub Tech Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Faulkner Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

close to home, and T accessable i was able to take public transportation if needed and, it allowed me the time to take to my child to daycare

Cons

racist. I was treated poorly and, they tried to make me feel bad about my race base on the comment they made. I did notice that they had only one Tech of color and, one of asian decendent.

The staff in the OT treated me awful they were almost abusive to me. I love what I do the Dr's were fine however the techs and, nurses the teaching staff was awful.

Excellent place to work for

I worked at Faulkner Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, friendly environment, excellent pay

Cons

Management politics crowds good judgement

Do more to motivate and increase mirsl

unionized nursing facility which allows you to have some voice in your workplace

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I have been working at Faulkner Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

very competitive benefits and salary

Cons

a community hospital owned by a much larger hospital network in the greater Boston area. As
    This hospital network has increasingly taken greater control over the facility in recent years, the atmosphere has been changing. It has created a less friendlier place to work.

This facility is worth a longer commute.

Current Employee - Supervisor of Nuclear Medicine in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor of Nuclear Medicine in Boston, MA

I have been working at Faulkner Hospital

Pros

Friendly staff, competent physicians, good relationship with BWH,

Cons

The location is not great for those North or South of Boston. The closest public T stop is 1 mile away.

Continue appreciation, recognition, and communication from the top down.

Management is horrible- not necessary the hospital supervisors but the floor managers- mine took 2 months off.

Current Employee - Unit Secretary
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary

I have been working at Faulkner Hospital

Pros

the money is pretty good and the benefits.

Cons

floor management is incompetent. There is never any feedback given at all.