FedBid Reviews

Reset
3.3
FedBid Chief Executive Officer Joseph Jordan
Joseph Jordan

Pros
  • Free lunches, especially during busy season (in 11 reviews)

• It's great when you're a broke-newly-grad-employee, but the free food was strategically provided so that employees wouldn't leave the office for work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They used to call it the Massacre, where at the end of busy season, they would cut out a good chunk of the hires from the summer (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance is non-existent (in 4 reviews)

Improving culture and co-workers are fun, good people

I have been working at FedBid full-time

Pros

+ I love my co-workers and the energy and passion they bring to work daily
    + I am relatively new and have felt welcomed in by all
    + I feel an energy from new initiatives and ideas that are discussed

Cons

+ Pay is average but many of the benefits are good
    + Traffic in Tyson's adds a bit of time to the commute

Advice to Management

+ Continue the new focus on transperancy and making FedBid a fun place to work - I feel the difference that all of you are bringing

Good Company to work for

I worked at FedBid full-time

Pros

Free Breakfast/Lunch, young and energetic fun environment, challenging

Cons

Too many managerial titles that get to people's heads sometimes. Had more VP's/Directors/Managers than non-managerial roles in the IT department!

Depends on a Lot (Good place for me starting out)

I worked at FedBid full-time

Pros

- Great place to start out after college (You can learn a lot of skills that will be beneficial to you anywhere you go. Great if you want career in Gov. Procurement as well.) Can get good management experience early in career if you do well.
    - Outside of Busy Season (Aug-Sept) work/life balance is good.
    - Most of the people who work here are great and generally most of the staff is young so once again, a great place to start out.
    - Overall model is very beneficial to Federal Government and the business idea is solid. However, execution is another story...
    - Overall, it was a great place for me starting out and I will always cherish the people, skills and memories I got from here.

Cons

Despite, the Pros there are some very real cons as well.

- Layoffs are pretty frequent for full time staff, especially after busy season if goals are not met. Rather unpredictable in who gets laid off and who doesn't. This makes long term growth difficult and building a career here difficult. Although there are some who have done it.
    - Depending on your luck, management can be great or excruciatingly bad. I got a lucky draw and had great managers for the most part, but have heard many horror stories.
    - Decisions for promotions, etc. can get a little hazy and there's not a whole lot of transparency or reasoning. Managers seem to promote based more on familiarity and is not clear with their decisions across all departments.
    - Lots of Cross Departmental tension that seems quite unnecessary at times despite the fact that upper management thinks "creative tension" is the way to go.
    - Not a good place to go for mid to late career people. More suited for college grads.

Overall: this was a great experience for me as I believe it was a good fit for my skill set but it's not for everyone. Be weary of yourself as FedBid can really hurt you if you're not the right fit, but can be a great place to start out if you are. Really dig into it and research it through HR and other means.

Advice to Management

Beast

5. Good place to start out

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at FedBid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Lots of young, friendly people
    --Free food/coffee
    --Good company culture
    --Can be good opportunities for growth if you're good
    --Good work experience
    --Benefits ar good

Cons

--Frequent layoffs
    --high turnover rate
    --Long hours especially during busy season (last three months of the fiscal year)

Advice to Management

be more transparent

6. Good Place to Start...

I worked at FedBid full-time

Pros

- Pay
    - The people you work with
    - Company culture
    - Easy to grow and be promoted
    - There's food & coffee!

Cons

- From outside looking in, upper management doesn't seem to know what they're doing at times, flounder in different directions which leads to lack of confidence from employees.
    - Not enough top-down communication
    - You move around from desk to desk too much
    - Work can be repetitive and be unfulfilling

Advice to Management

- Overall, FedBid is what you make it. You'll definitely make friends, the people and company culture are the main selling points. It's a good place to start, especially when you're fresh out of school, you'll get experience and knowledge that will help to beef up your resume and help you down the road when you're looking for new opportunities. The company is filled with young people, which means your supervisor/manager/director are only a couple years older than you, which also means that can be you in a few years. Keep your expectations in check, i.e. not too high.
    - Advice to management, let employees in on what's going on, don't shine smiles then pull the rug out from under people. There are some very smart, intelligent, creative and driven people there- utilize them to their full potential for both their sakes and the company's.

7. Not the best

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in McLean, VA

I worked at FedBid

Pros

Good working enviornment and free food

Cons

Pay is bad and always letting someone go

Just say "no."

I worked at FedBid

Pros

"You must enter at least 5 words for Pros."

Cons

To those who are considering working at FedBid, I would encourage you to google "FedBid Veterans Affairs" and at the top of the page, you will see a Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Inspector General report dated September 2014 that details FedBid's relationship with the Veterans Health Administration from about 2011 to 2014. Read the report objectively, paying particular attention to FedBid's involvement and read other supplemental articles about the situation. Gather intelligence about how FedBid is viewed by government agencies, by the industry, and by the media. Then ask yourself... is FedBid really the kind of company I want to work for and associate myself with? There are many articles that read like marketing material. An internal email will tout to FedBid employees something to the effect of, "look how great we are!" or "another win for the books!" when the reality of the situation is that FedBid has a relationship with that writer or that media outlet and they have used their influence for some positive coverage among a mountain of embarrassing, more truthful portrayals of the company, its practices, and its employees. FedBid will tell you that it is a game-changing type company, that it is (what are the cliche words on its website?) "innovative" and "dynamic" and that it is only natural that the opposition will get upset and ruffle feathers. What a seasoned professional will tell you is just the opposite: for a business to grow and succeed, that it won't take a "heavy handed" approach or for its employees to "storm the castle" of its clients. Dedication, employee satisfaction, commitment, giving that extra effort because you believe it the mission- these are traits of a successful company and traits that former employees of FedBid would in no way attribute to this company. There are many reviews of FedBid on this website. Some are funny, some relatable, some are exaggerations, and some are positively or negatively written from the limited scope of the reviewers' work and life experience. Other reviews you you may find read like marketing material because that's exactly what they are- reviews written by management or Human Resources in an attempt to salvage their tarnished name and meet their present or future recruiting quota. The bottom line is that FedBid is not a company built upon open communication, upon integrity or transparency, or upon going the extra mile because you believe in your job and the company mission. Working at FedBid is exactly like getting recruited into and being trapped in a cult... a FedBid vs. The Opposition mentality is ingrained in its employees to keep the carrot dangling. My overall best advice is to not get involved with FedBid as an employees, as a government or commercial buyer or as a business/seller. There are much, much better companies in the DMV in which to do business, earn a paycheck, get experience, etc. Just ask one of FedBid's former Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, or Senior Directors (I mean, how many "senior" people are really needed who do absolutely nothing?)... there plenty coming and going in FedBid's ever-revolving door.

Marketplace Intern

Former Employee - Marketplace Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Marketplace Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at FedBid

Pros

Young, fun environment (most employees are under 25)
    Office perks (catering 3 times a week during the busy season, sports teams, "incentive" programs, FedBid Fridays)
    Great exposure to the federal procurement industry

Cons

Horrible pay for interns
    Despite what they tell you, a vast majority of the interns do NOT get hired
    They mass fire full time employees
    They are not very flexible

Great Place to Work & Grow!

I have been working at FedBid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an intern, fresh out of college without a business degree. FedBid provided the tools and training to be as successful as possible. When entering the company I was assigned a mentor in upper level management to help answer questions/offer advice for not only FedBid but my career as a whole. The executive staff are involved and willing to take a moment to discuss previous experiences to help build a better culture.

FedBid provides young people the opportunity to be leaders early on in their career. The professional growth I have taken year after year is directly related to the management around me and how the company is structured. This company fosters an open/competitive environment and hard work pays off.

Cons

Whether you are going to or from work there is always traffic in Tyson's Corner (this does not apply if you take the Metro).

A good first job, not a good place to stay

Former Employee - Specialist in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Vienna, VA

I worked at FedBid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is the potential to learn a lot at FedBid. You'll learn how business works, and how to be in the professional world. You can have ownership of what you do, and some of the lower level directors are young, but good managers.

Free food is cool too, but who knows how long that will last.

Cons

Executive management doesn't seem to have any sort of direction or clue about what direction the company needs to go. New ideas and initiatives come out fairly regularly, but they never seem to really go anywhere, meanwhile, some desperately needed fixes have been ignored for a long time.

There is ZERO job security here. If you make it past the internship, you still may be laid off without any sort of warning at seemingly any time.

Benefits like free food have taken a serious hit. It used to be that food was catered every day during busy season, this year it was three times a week. The quality of snacks also plummeted.

Advice to Management

A very high turnover rate is not good at all. You are either losing very talented people because you aren't paying them enough, or you are letting them go because you don't have any direction. You're spending so much time on training, and you're operation at a minimal efficiency.

RSS Feed </> Embed