FedEx Custom Critical

Virginia C. Albanese

Supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor in Uniontown, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Uniontown, OH

I worked at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly in a fast paced aka stressful atmosphere. The company strives for employees to have a realistic work/life balance. There are many opportunities to gain knowledge through training. They offered partial tuition reimbursement as well. They always strived to do what was right and have a lot of integrity. When the economy went downhill and they had to institute layoffs and salary decreases, they laid off the 'right' people who needed to go. The salary decreases were instituted across the board in the most fair way possible, with the president and CEO Fred Smith taking the biggest cut. Most people would say that "he should have anyway", but as we all know, most company CEO's do not do what is right when it comes to their own pockets. He did and I was very impressed. There is an on site cafeteria that was very good and reasonably priced, on site workout facility with showers and lockers, a library in a beautiful building.

Cons

This is a 24/7, very fast paced and stressful environment. If you don't like change, you would not like to work here. If you need to start out at a 9-5 Mon-Fri job, you would not want to work here. Shifts are given based on seniority and the average tenure of an entry level agent was 8 years. For a call center environment, they had extremely low turnover because it is such a great company and people don't want to leave.

Let people stay in the positions they love. Don't force them to take on permanent projects that they are not passionate about.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Intern in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Akron, OH

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

flexibility, good environment, helping colleagues, niche domain, high business potential

Cons

low pay for intern, slow processes, no full time oppurtunities

Invest more in Intern. Interns are more used as flexible and low expense resource. No career opportunities offered.

Becoming a nightmare for o/p

Current Employee - Indepent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Indepent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Independence (like many others companies), respect from management...

Cons

Everything have change for owner operators since I start working on FCC two years ago. First, We don't receive after delivering any more (sometimes in the middle of nowhere) layover options, wich is making us think twice before accepting a load where exactly we will end and how many miles we have to travel at our expenses to be in a place (X) with better probabilities of another decent load opportunity. Second, We are NOT allowed any more to negociated our rates, they are publishing on the magazines in places like truck stops that you can get paid up to $2.10 ALL MILES but is not true. We have to spend sometimes a couple days waiting and refusing a lot of loads opportunities because the total miles is not reaching even $2.00 per mile...not even $1.90 !!! after this crasy new flat rate plan effecive July 1/2014.Especially if you're running on team you can not afford taking such cheaping loads. ( Besides : I DON'T WORK JUST FOR FUEL) One of the brilliant solutions they implemented to take out of those blind spots on the map is an fleet especialist wich gonna help you to move from those places with a back hauld load at $1.20- $1.37 per mile....awesome!!! Don't you think?! Working at any local job as CDL driver your co-driver can make easy $180-$ 200 daily, sleeping at home every night, in family, eating just right (not junk food), and taking a shower...IF your co driver is not making daily minimun this money, is leaving you next time He gets home...Half people I know(drivers) in FCC are actually leaving, or course We are leaving too...too many requirements for the payment they offering right now, safety department is a pain in the neck with paperwork and regulations, at minimun chance they take you out of service...sometimes has happens that dispatch KNOWS (because the customer is an fixed account they do all the time)the customer won't be open at delivery time, so get there and guess what?...you are right!!!, wait until next morning...so bye bye to take another load opportunity that day...is not your fault at all (sometimes even you are not gonna get pay overnight) but there is nothing at that point that you can do. If you end around NY area, forget the chance to receive a load opportunity somewhere else than NY, NJ, Massachusset, Vermond, I mean North East sucks...A LOT OF TOLLS, AND EXPENSIVES... LOW BRIDGES CLEARANCE, VERY BAD CONDITIONS ON THE ROAD, TIGHT CORNERS TO TURN, and many times delivering in the middle of the street because the old buildings don't have a proper dock to deliver your load. I refuse to think that there is noothing coming out of those places to the rest of the country, they keep you in the zone purposely. They implement this enforced new rate "to give the customer a discount to keep them on business"...I personally think is a good think been altruistic....BUT WITH YOUR MONEY!!!!... not at other peoples expenses....and on top af that they are offering $500 incentives for recomend other drivers to come and join such a happy family....wow....you guys out there, looking for a good opportunity to make money and grow....DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE TO MOVE HERE! Good luck.

Think twice the mess you have done with this new flat rate plan....or there will be no drivers willing to drive for you...and then you gonna star loosing your customers for real....

Growing pains

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home privileges after 1 year tenure. Relaxed atmosphere with managers you report to directly. Good benefits package, including paid vacation after 30 days of tenure.

Cons

Seemingly backwards compensation plan, creates minimal motivation for sales person to go above and beyond. So much turnover that it hinders office morale and employee satisfaction.

Need to retool the compensation package and focus on retaining talent. This will help with the turnover problem. Focus KPI's more towards quality and less towards quantity.

Great earnings potential for those who want to run!

Former Employee - OTR Team Driver in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Team Driver in Kingsport, TN

I worked at FedEx Custom Critical as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay.
    Long runs.
    Treated with respect.
    Get home when you need to.
    And yes you can turn down a load if you want.

Cons

Hard to get on with, they only want the best.
    Going to Canada requirement.
    Plan on staying out for at least a month at a time if you want the high paying runs. That's just the way it works, if you want to be home every weekend then work for someone else. But if you do stay out and run, you will see $15 to $18K weekly pay checks easily if you own your own truck of course.

Nothing. Your doing just fine.

Contract owner operators.

Former Employee - Contractor Resource Specialist in Uniontown, OH
    Former Employee - Contractor Resource Specialist in Uniontown, OH

I worked at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is average. Great health insurance and discounts. Cafeteria is awesome. Updated building is cozy and very nice.

Cons

FedEx Custom Critical has minimal pay increases. Work hard with no bonus program. No training program. No support from Management. People who have been there for 20 plus years will run you over and they do not like change. Technology is way behind any other FedEx companies.

Management needs continuous training programs. They need to focus on positive reinforcement.

Nice Building, poor leadership, poor pay!

Current Employee - Senior Lead Ops Agent in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Ops Agent in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a really nice building, good benifits (which have been decreasing every year) Really nice people to work with that care about the company. Some Managers will work with you and assist you, other will not.

Cons

Pay is lagging year over year and we expect another 1-2% raise his year after work hard to exceed all goals for our department. MBO's - AIC's have all but been removed and advancement is non-existent. Funny, if you need a raise in my department, cry to our manager and he will give you a raise even if you dont deserve it!

You have been given your survey results and they are poor at best. A VP just left and others will follow if you dont take charge and begin to lead again as in the past. This comapny is a hollow shell of what it once was!

Politically charged work environment operated by a clique that can't manage change

Former Employee - Salaried Professional Employee in Uniontown, OH
    Former Employee - Salaried Professional Employee in Uniontown, OH

I worked at FedEx Custom Critical full-time

Pros

I think FedEx as a whole is a good company, however this business unit, or operating company as they liked to be called, leaves one questioning that.

If you are coming in as an entry level customer service agent, it's a good place to work.

A couple of pros:
    -nice building
    -cafeteria
    -work out facility
    -fringe benefits are nice
    -nice vacation/PTO package
    -401(k) has a nice match, pension plan available

Cons

As a salaried professional, everyone that you will interact with operates with an agenda. A majority of the individuals in professional and management roles have been with the company for more than 10 years and are in the "clique". Many of these people haven't worked anywhere else in their professional career and have a difficult time accepting new ideas or working with people that have different backgrounds. The clique isn't even accepting of FedEx employees from other operating companies!

Some other items to consider:
    -promotions are a popularity contest (lots of tapping on the shoulder moves)
    -once robust bonus program quickly becoming non-existent, raises are hard to come by
    -Medical and dental benefits are not good, very few dentists accept the insurance and the medical doesn't cover much
    -depending on your level of role, it's likely you won't get to use all your vacation time
    -work/life balance, if you're not in the clique, plan on living here, as their work rolls down to you
    -Meetings-way too many that never start on time, run over and/or never accomplish anything. Ultimately the biggest time waster of one's day
    -parking lot is an icy mess in the winter
    -location in general is not convenient, not a lot of things (shopping, restaurants) nearby
    -project work that ends up going nowhere, either you don't have time to get it done or management changes their mind after the work is completed
    -recognition is hard to come by
    -many salaried individuals are performing the jobs of two people and management has made it well known that they have no plans of adding additional staff
    -most job openings that are posted are replacing people that have moved to other operating companies or have left all together

If you want to work for FedEx, consider one of the other operating companies that isn't so small with small ideas.

Virginia needs to shake up management, in all departments. Old ideas are not going to move this company forward. Your most recent "People Survey" says it all. Don't let the MD's push their negative people survey results down the hill to their general staff.

Meetings are out of control. I'm not sure how anyone can get anything done with the amount of meetings everyone attends.

Solid company with decent pay

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I drove team and made $.23/mile. It is all hub to hub, nearly all with doubles. There were enough miles to average about $900 a week. Dispatch was very professional and helpful compared to others I've seen. Average home time is 1-2 days off per week even on runs to east coast.

Cons

Once you're on the road you're at the mercy of dispatch. They may keep you out 7-8 days when you were counting on getting home in 5. You must drive for a contractor/owner, not for FedEx directly. That means no benefits, but you are at least an employee and not a 1099.

None. Nothing to say to owner/contractors as they're all different. FedEx doesn't take advice from drivers who are seen as subcontractors.

Careers Here for Hard Workers

Current Employee - Sales in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at FedEx Custom Critical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits (pension and 401k),
    Relaxed business athmosphere,
    Open door policy,
    Hard work pays off

Cons

Some contracted carriers' performance will impact your customer's impression of you,

Thank you for showing your appreciation to staff with the breakfast and luncheon celebrations throughout the year.

FedEx Custom Critical Photos