FedEx Freight

Updated January 29, 2015
3.6

FedEx Freight President & CEO William J. Logue
William J. Logue

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are the best I've ever had with any company (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits as well as opportunities for advancement and even relocation if so desired (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if your spouse children work or go to school during the day like normal ppl (in 8 reviews)

• Plus, they expect you to work long hours without help (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably one of the most easiest/chill jobs you can get, plus you're driving a forklift.

Current Employee - Dockworker in Kettleman City, CA
    Current Employee - Dockworker in Kettleman City, CA

I have been working at FedEx Freight part-time (less than a year)

Pros

• the pay is good for being part time
    • You get full time benefits while being part time, after 3 months.
    • The people you work with make the job that much easier on you
    • $0.50 raises every 3 months until you cap out
    • If you work hard enough you will get promoted within a year. That's if you are looking into FedEx for the long term.
    • Advice: don't over work yourself. Work smart and it will be a breeze.

Cons

• There will be some people that will make the job a little harder, don't mind them.
    • On some days you will get clocked out early because there won't be that much freight that day, most likely you will get more hours the next day so don't worry.

Keep up the good work!

Great company to work during peak season

Former Employee - Dock Worker in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at FedEx Freight part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great starting pay, fun job, great employees

Cons

Part time, when slow season hits, your hours can get cut really bad

Great company long hours working in freight

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Jackson, MS

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, a lot of friendly people

Cons

Very long hours as with any job any freight. If you don't like working outside it's not for you

More involved

Dockworker

I have been working at FedEx Freight part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay fastpace benefits moving up
    salary,pay

Cons

weather, weather, weather, weather, weather

Dockworker

Current Employee - Dockworker-Part Time in Delanco, NJ
    Current Employee - Dockworker-Part Time in Delanco, NJ

I have been working at FedEx Freight

Pros

awesome pay, jobs pretty easy 18.76$ hr after one year

Cons

Make you work 5 days a week. Your part time, sometimes you want a couple days off a week....

Good Experience so far

Current Employee - Dock Worker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in Houston, TX

I have been working at FedEx Freight part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy fast paced work environment, everyone is helpful and nice. The managers and supervisors are always around and happy to help with any question or task you may have. No one is to high for any duty and when busy the time will go by very fast. Starting pays a pretty decent for part time and pretty good for if you land a full time spot.

Cons

shifts are very early and some are overnight, if you are part time it's hard to get consistent hours.
    Hard to snag a full time roll, seems like you have to be there for at least 7 months before you might get lucky enough to get a full time roll.

Cut back on hiring so many people for part time and give the option of full time out to more people

Operations-Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay

Ability to advance

Pride in the reputation of the company

Cons

Sometimes have to work for poor managers or poor leaders.

Long hours

Shift work

At FedEx Freight, the quality begins and ends with Management. If you work for a poor manager, it is likely that your terminals entire morale and environment is poor. If you work for a great manager, things will probably be tolerable and if you're really lucky, fantastic! Smaller terminals tend to run better, as there is a more personal feel to everything and it is a lot harder to get away with being lazy if you're a Supervisor.

Larger terminals and Hubs are black holes from which your soul and dreams are sucked away and crushed. Upper Management and Executives put so much pressure on Managers that if they don't know how to handle it, everyone will suffer.

The company preaches a sort of "People First" policy, but it's rarely adhered to.

With 3 Freight terminals recently unionizing, it has caused the senior leaders and executives to take a hard look at themselves, and unfortunately they still don't get it. A Senior Vice President was shown the door, and the President and CEO left "for health reasons." Everyone knows he was shown the door too, because he allowed this to happen. To the companies credit, they did raise pay, but they're still trying to squeeze a dollar out of a dime with their stringent guidelines for managing dock and office hours on hourly associates. I understand the need to set a standard higher than it is actually achievable, but if you keep pushing people they will eventually break. There are so many unqualified Operations Supervisors it's not even funny. I'm not talking about paper qualified either. I'm talking about disengaged employees that are just collecting a check, and there are a lot of them wearing Red shirts. Mangers are forced to push standards on Red shirts that are realistically not achievable, and the Red shirts in turn, come down on the hourly associates. The hourly associates see that the Red shirts aren't truly engaged and concerned about their needs and issues, and begin to develop bitterness toward them, and before you know it, it's a terrible place to work.

I would love to advance with this company, and my next step is Operations Manager, but I'm deathly afraid I will transfer and end up working for a terrible Manager. It is such a helpless feeling, to take quality and pride in your work, and see your peers playing the "good ole boy" and "suck up" game and getting away with doing as little as possible, and have a manager that is completely oblivious or apathetic to the situation.

Long hours with no breaks but overall happy with employment.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security, decent pay, benefits, chance to advance and ability to transfer to other center throughout the country.

Cons

Long hours, no break periods for salaried employees, reluctant to approve time off from work.

Great pay and benefits...hard earned

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were great! Most hourly staff is hard working and engaged in quality. Salary leaders are experienced and intelligent.

Cons

So much responsibility and workload for salary leaders, that taking shortcuts to keep the operation running smooth is a must. No mercy in amount of hours worked and weather conditions. Endless challenges.

A great salary just isn't enough to keep a dedicated employee in frontline leadership for very long. I stayed at FXF for 14 years and would have loved to finish a career there, but my level of experience was beyond many of my mangers and the amount of work delegated down to me was overwhelming. I shut down a major hub every Saturday almost always by myself at the end of a 14-16 hour shift, while nearly all of my bosses were starting their weekend. Although I felt proud that I was in a trusted position, I sometimes felt I was alone when it came to dedication.

Fed ex Freight City Driver

Current Employee - City Driver in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - City Driver in Newark, NJ

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, love the atmosphere, supporting co workers, lovely schedule, off week, good benefits & its none union

Cons

Only cons I have is I really don't care for the kenworth trucks we use in the city

Award drivers with awards, trophies, plaques.. Give a away t-shirt & cool wear to futher more some free promo