FedEx Freight

Updated January 20, 2015
3.6

FedEx Freight President & CEO William J. Logue
William J. Logue

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are the best I've ever had with any company (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits as well as opportunities for advancement and even relocation if so desired (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if your spouse children work or go to school during the day like normal ppl (in 8 reviews)

• Plus, they expect you to work long hours without help (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Dockworker

I have been working at FedEx Freight part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay fastpace benefits moving up
    salary,pay

Cons

weather, weather, weather, weather, weather

Dockworker

Current Employee - Dockworker-Part Time in Delanco, NJ
    Current Employee - Dockworker-Part Time in Delanco, NJ

I have been working at FedEx Freight

Pros

awesome pay, jobs pretty easy 18.76$ hr after one year

Cons

Make you work 5 days a week. Your part time, sometimes you want a couple days off a week....

Operations-Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay

Ability to advance

Pride in the reputation of the company

Cons

Sometimes have to work for poor managers or poor leaders.

Long hours

Shift work

At FedEx Freight, the quality begins and ends with Management. If you work for a poor manager, it is likely that your terminals entire morale and environment is poor. If you work for a great manager, things will probably be tolerable and if you're really lucky, fantastic! Smaller terminals tend to run better, as there is a more personal feel to everything and it is a lot harder to get away with being lazy if you're a Supervisor.

Larger terminals and Hubs are black holes from which your soul and dreams are sucked away and crushed. Upper Management and Executives put so much pressure on Managers that if they don't know how to handle it, everyone will suffer.

The company preaches a sort of "People First" policy, but it's rarely adhered to.

With 3 Freight terminals recently unionizing, it has caused the senior leaders and executives to take a hard look at themselves, and unfortunately they still don't get it. A Senior Vice President was shown the door, and the President and CEO left "for health reasons." Everyone knows he was shown the door too, because he allowed this to happen. To the companies credit, they did raise pay, but they're still trying to squeeze a dollar out of a dime with their stringent guidelines for managing dock and office hours on hourly associates. I understand the need to set a standard higher than it is actually achievable, but if you keep pushing people they will eventually break. There are so many unqualified Operations Supervisors it's not even funny. I'm not talking about paper qualified either. I'm talking about disengaged employees that are just collecting a check, and there are a lot of them wearing Red shirts. Mangers are forced to push standards on Red shirts that are realistically not achievable, and the Red shirts in turn, come down on the hourly associates. The hourly associates see that the Red shirts aren't truly engaged and concerned about their needs and issues, and begin to develop bitterness toward them, and before you know it, it's a terrible place to work.

I would love to advance with this company, and my next step is Operations Manager, but I'm deathly afraid I will transfer and end up working for a terrible Manager. It is such a helpless feeling, to take quality and pride in your work, and see your peers playing the "good ole boy" and "suck up" game and getting away with doing as little as possible, and have a manager that is completely oblivious or apathetic to the situation.

Fed ex Freight City Driver

Current Employee - City Driver in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - City Driver in Newark, NJ

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, love the atmosphere, supporting co workers, lovely schedule, off week, good benefits & its none union

Cons

Only cons I have is I really don't care for the kenworth trucks we use in the city

Award drivers with awards, trophies, plaques.. Give a away t-shirt & cool wear to futher more some free promo

Dock worker

Former Employee - Dock in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Dock in Newark, NJ

I worked at FedEx Freight

Pros

Easy job great work environment good pay

Cons

Management can be rude at times but it comes with the territory

Great company with great benefits

Current Employee - Dock Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are the best I've ever had with any company. able to take time off when needed without it being an issue. enjoy the people i work with very much. most considered to be an extended family.

Cons

Management can be a bit distant and has a tendency to micro-manage things. Always needing to change policy and changing rules on the fly.

being more open to suggestions from parties in each particular department. more opportunities for advancement.

A very good place to work

Current Employee - Dockworker in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Dockworker in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benifits

Cons

Working nights is a tough job

Well run company

Driver Apprentice/City Driver

Current Employee - Driver Apprentice/City Driver in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Driver Apprentice/City Driver in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at FedEx Freight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far I have been at fedex for a month and I'm loving it. I was hired as a driver apprentice because I only had 11 months of driving experience I have all endorsement just didn't have a full year of driving but the DDC program is great kinda a slow process waiting on a available coach to train you. I was told I will be catching a flight to Orlando FL next week for 3weeks to ride with a city coach for a week, then a road driver for a week or two. I'm so ready to get this over and get in a truck working the dock sucks but I did it til they figured out where I was going to go train. Even working the dock u still get paid as a driver but it gets old when u use to driving a truck. Overall so far it's a great company. Just waiting on the old drivers to retire at my terminal I swear it's people there should've retired 10 years ago lol! Drivers like 70 years old need to b at home spending all that 401k money and collecting social security.

Cons

Some of the people there are stuck in their ways not friendly, not all but majority of the people who been there decades are the grumpy people. But the shift I'm on which is nights all the supervisor are cool you can go to them for anything.

Great place to work (if you liek to work hard).

Former Employee - Fleet Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Fleet Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at FedEx Freight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, well run with nothing left to chance. Good training and follow up.

Cons

Long hours and min vacation time

A little more vacation time would be nice

FedEx Freight Part-Time dockworker

Current Employee - Dockworker in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Current Employee - Dockworker in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I have been working at FedEx Freight part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is the by far the best part-time job I have ever had in my life. Starting pay $16.36 an hour. for me, the hours are very flexible for me. 15-25 hour work week, my shift is from 5pm-10pm. I go to school during the day so it works out REALLY well for me. Medical benefits and 401ks for part-time workers? it doesn't get any better than that; for me at least. my job is to move the freight from point "a" to point "b". its not a complicated job but very physical and time restricting, similar to the career field I plan to go into.

Cons

Supervisors don't always have an accurate count of what has already been loaded or bayed. sometimes they give work that has already been done and ill be looking all over the place for this freight.