FedEx Ground

FedEx Ground Reviews in Independence, KY

Updated Jul 17, 2014

FedEx Ground President and CEO Henry J. Maier

Henry J. Maier

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, opportunities for advancement(in 36 reviews)

• opportunities to advance and great benefits(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance that doesn't match the pay(in 14 reviews)

• No benefits for the first year working(in 23 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Was okay for a while...

Package Handler (Current Employee) Independence, KY

ProsThe Benefits are good once you get them
    Pay is pretty good
    Hours are good if , you're a college student, or have another source of income

ConsHR pretty much hires anyone regardless of whether or not they can do the harder work. When I first started there lighter duty jobs went solely to people who earned them or people who were injured, everyone started out in Load or Unload. Now they just hire every elderly or disabled person they can get their hands on, I've been injured several times and needed the lighter duty job and I had been there for 5 years and I was getting pushed out of a position but an elderly deaf women who still almost two years later still cannot do the job by herself. At one point we had a boy with cerebral palsy working there, he didn't have have use of one of his arms.

Speaking of hiring, they recently hired about 40 more employees they needed which is screwing the other employees out of hours. A lot of part timers are barely getting ten hours a week. Full time is a joke, most of the time you need to stay for more than two sorts to get 40 hours a week.

There is a real lack of management in some areas and many lazier employees will take advantage of it. When you go to management or HR you're usually ignored. However if you tell an employee they need to get to work they suddenly get HR complain happy. I've been in HR for stating that no one should help a employee because she was intentionally going slow and kept walking away every 20 minutes when she was slammed with work.

Management refuses to fire anyone for any reason short of stealing or sexual harassment. You can be lazy, show up late (or not at all) and there will be no penalties. You also never have to bathe, several employees never seemed to use soap, water or deodorant. I was told they couldn't be fired for having poor hygiene regardless of the fact they were physically causing people to become ill.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to management about how many people are needed, don't take everyone who fills out an application.

Make decisions about employee positions based on skill, attendance, and seniority rather than who might have the worst discrimination lawsuit.

Great for a kid in college. Horrible for an adult with a college degree,

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Independence, KY

ProsStill thinking about the lack of "Pros" within the company.

ConsHours, Pay, People, Management, and Environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver 90% of FedEx Managers were once package handlers. Need I say more?

Dont do it...

Package Handler (Former Employee) Independence, KY

ProsBenefits do not come out of your paycheck. If you are a college student or if you only have a highschool diploma/GED it pays pretty good (starting at $10 dollars an hour)
    college tuition reinbursment

saturdays and sundays off.

Consyou have to work there for a year before you get benefits. they lie to you and tell you part-time is 20 hours a week and full-time is 40 hours a week, but in all actuality part-time is 15 hours and full-time is 30 hours. over-time is not allowed.....seriously. the goals are unreasonable. they expect you to handle 421 packages an hour but the most anyone can possibly handle an hour is 300-350. they COMPLAIN and will write you up for not meeting this goal. everyone always felt like today was the day they were going to get fired.

the management is a joke. they all play the he said she said roll and blaim everything on the package handlers. no sick days and if u are even one minute late you will be written up. safety is lectured every day but is tossed out the window to meet goals but at the same time a manager will write you up for violating the same safety rule he told you not to worry about the day before. i have seen people be let go for some of the most idiotic reasons. i was package handler of the month one day then fired the next. no lie. all because my scanner broke and they said it was easier to blame the packages not being scanned on me then their "perfect computer system"

Advice to Senior Managementreward for good work not just punish for bad work

Worked for FedEx Ground? Contribute to the Community!