FedEx Office

FedEx Office Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips

Brian D. Philips

Pros:
  • "Good benefits for the level of job it is"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Great environment, Great benefits, Job is transferable & easy to move up in company"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Small yearly raises, customer can be horrible, lazy team members never get fired"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Unfortunately, the work-life balance was not there"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern Programmer Analyst

ProsEveryone is very people help people oriented. Anyone and everyone is willing to help if you ask for anything.

ConsMost of the company contains people of the spouse and kids lifestyle. Pay is at or below average but work is not too demanding.

Very good.

ProsMedical benefits, good leader ship, management has an open door policy to solve any problems. After being unemployed for a long time, FedEx hired and trained me to do my job well.

ConsHard work in carrying heavy packages. In all my time working with FedEx I have only experience one supervisor who was a poor manager who had a eye for the female workers. And he didn't last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but do some improvements in clearing up the place.

Center Consultant

ProsGrowth, Training, School schedule accommodation.

ConsMost employees get stuck working here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Assistant Mrg (Current Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsStrong company, lots of training. There is a good structure and many resources for employees. There are opportunities to move up if you want to follow the path of store management,

ConsIt is always busy. There are always balls to keep in the air. The money is better than most places but still so so for the amount of work that you do. Benefits are good through.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, increase the hourly pay so that better people can be hired. Store trying to be everything to every customer

Beware the company caters to Wall St. at the employees' expense

ProsThere's lots to keep you very busy in a retail location. Interesting challenges arise almost every day. It is gratifying to meet these challenges and the needs of customers, most of whom are pleasant and appreciative. Benefits are good, including accrued vacation and sick days, healthcare insurance, substantially discounted shipping rates, potential for transfer when you're relocating, and a flexible 401K plan with limited employer-matching contributions. Uniforms are provided. Educational benefits are good. The corporate culture is rigidly defined and enforced. It is very "corporate." FedEx Office is well-respected externally both on Main Street and on Wall Street. If you are fortunate enough to be hired as full-time (32+ hours per week) entry-level compensation is adequate for a strictly budget-minded single person and/or a couple of breadwinners. Compared with many other corporate retailers, compensation is slightly higher. The company is continuously working to measure, upgrade and improve service and technology. It encourages self-service for customers. Training is accomplished via both computer-based sessions and real-time, face-to-face learning experiences with co-workers.

ConsThe company has launched a long-term campaign to improve its relations with shareholders and Wall Street at the expense of current employees at the lower end of the totem pole. It is purging the ranks of experienced workers, especially those who remain from the Kinko's era prior to 2004. Staffing levels at busy locations have been cut to the bone, negatively impacting both customer service levels and staff morale. The number of tasks assigned to each employee has grown steadily, and the only way to keep up with them is by multi-tasking to the N-th degree. Employees are individually ranked on a fast-growing number of metrics, pitting them into competition against one another. Those at the low end of each list are pressured to improve their individual performance or else live in fear of termination. Retail center employees are required to demonstrate "selling behaviors" to sell items like reams of paper and USB drives instead of focusing their efforts on selling the range of more important "meat-and-potatoes" items which must be sold in order to assure the company's survival.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim to listen to center-based employees but your decisions and actions so obviously belie that claim. Your future as a leader depends on how the company's most basic needs are met. Employees in the center know what happens there every day; their observations and suggestions are more closely based on reality than those of the highly paid MBA holders analyzing metrics while isolated inside the corporate offices.

Ehhhhhhh

Center Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMy coworkers are the best
    Benefits are good (in the retail sense)

ConsLow wages for the amount of work
    Focused on the wrong things (ie: sales, uniforms, taking too long of a break)
    Customers are the rudest and play very dumb
    Job is somewhat degrading (or maybe its just my particular center)

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay, its too low for the amount of work and knowledge all the employees have
    Focus on why your customers complain about the prices of printing/shipping

If you are after money don't work here. Love the experiences with different people though. Great benefits..

ProsLove the customer service aspect. Either you have it or you don't//

ConsPay scale is not good for what you do. Don't get blackballed or your career will be over.

Advice to Senior ManagementChecks and balances definitely need to be more thorough. Results in districts don't appear to be successful. Tenured team members aren't getting opportunities in the city. Pulling canidates from outside the company as well as outside of the city and overlooking people seeking opportunity.

Good for someone but not for me

Center Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Good benefits package
    -Decent pay
    -Closed on Sundays
    -Great if you thrive on aggressive and deadline driven sales

Cons-Bad onboarding process - no formal training, my staff had to teach me how to do my job! What kind of leadership is that?
    -Lack of support from DM for struggling stores (unless you include positive affirmations of "you can do it!")
    -Reality that the job takes at least 50 hours to be successful but OT will result in corrective counseling
    -Sales in the red for Sundays (yes they actually gave me sales goals to achieve for Sundays, even though the store was closed...talk about impossible to meet metrics there)
    -Impossible to please customers, unless you gave it to them for free
    -Extremely stressful job -- this is the most stressful store manager job I've ever had and I've been in the business for over 15 years

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease create a fluid training program -- designate certain centers and managers to be trainers so your new center managers get off to a great and solid start. This will also alleviate the burden on the poor store managers who are probably trying to run two stores and train at the same time! Also allow for OT or make all center managers salaried.

The company does'nt seem to have a clear direction.

Customer Consultant (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsHealth benefits, 401K plan. Decent coworkers. Gaining knowledge while on the floor. Becoming a fast thinker in tight situations. Great opportunity if you are in the management level

ConsLow pay grade for the knowledge needed to work in the store, clientele is too demanding. Management does not support employee career growth. The constant focus and push on revenue drivers is stressful, employees get promoted just to fill in positions and don't fit the qualifications for those positions. Training is not taught based upon realistic situations in the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementA fair amount of vacation time instead of accumulating it during every pay period, an understanding for those with schedule limitations, and more support to an employees career growth.

Fantastic company with strong benefits

Senior Center Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsFedEx has a People Service and Profit culture where all three are important but you lead your focus on the people. The company and many strong benefits like 401k, dependent care and health savings accounts, vacation, sick time, floating holidays, discounts on shipping and cell services. The health care is better than most though not stellar. The company sets clear expectations and gives you the tools you need to achieve results.

ConsHealth Care coverage could be better and some less frequent shifting of strategic focus. Often times the team is unable to master something because the focus keeps changing.

Worked for FedEx Office? Contribute to the Community!

FedEx Office Videos

FedEx Office – Why Work for Us?

Office Services We have over 1,800 locations ready to work for you. Whether you need to set up a meeting or need assistance packing your shipments, we are there to help… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FedEx Office reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FedEx Office CEO Brian D. Philips. All 596 reviews posted anonymously by FedEx Office employees.