FedEx Office

Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips
Brian D. Philips

Pros
  • Good benefits for the level of job it is (in 54 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great training, and great benefits, including a 401K (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Small yearly raises, customer can be horrible, lazy team members never get fired (in 56 reviews)

• Work - Life balance for Assistant Managers is non-existent, at least in my experience (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Mrg  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Mrg in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Strong company, lots of training. There is a good structure and many resources for employees. There are opportunities to move up if you want to follow the path of store management,

Cons

It is always busy. There are always balls to keep in the air. The money is better than most places but still so so for the amount of work that you do. Benefits are good through.

Hire more people, increase the hourly pay so that better people can be hired. Store trying to be everything to every customer

It is whatvyou make it!

Current Employee - Courier  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Courier in North Chicago, IL

Pros

It a great opportunity to meet lot of people if you're a people person and interact with customers.

Cons

The company cut back on a lot benefits that we had in the past.

Stop taking good hard working employees for granted or you will continue to lose great worker which in turn hurts the company.

lead

Pros

steady work but crap hours

Cons

horrible company, does not care about well being of employees

revert to old ways when kinkos was bought by fedex

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ehhhhhhh

Current Employee - Center Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Center Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

My coworkers are the best
    Benefits are good (in the retail sense)

Cons

Low wages for the amount of work
    Focused on the wrong things (ie: sales, uniforms, taking too long of a break)
    Customers are the rudest and play very dumb
    Job is somewhat degrading (or maybe its just my particular center)

Raise the pay, its too low for the amount of work and knowledge all the employees have
    Focus on why your customers complain about the prices of printing/shipping

Losing their luster considering it is a FedEx Company.

Current Employee - Center Manager
    Current Employee - Center Manager

Pros

Fantastic Benefits. Some perks with other companies such as cell phone and travel. Bonuses no longer tied to other centers outside of your control. Can advance quickly if willing to relocate.

Cons

Company is too focused on the smallest of details and has a carpet bombing managing technique. If there is an issue in one place, a "solution" is created for everyone even if you have a track record of success and you are made to change. An utter lack of ability to manage to the individual while maintaining the talent of the exceptional. Pay rates have changed and are not in line with a manager who has so much responsibility. Promotions do not net you a financial advancement and there is currently no career path that leads to multi-unit management. Starting pay at the center manager level is laughable unless you are starting out of college and would like to get experience.

You are bleeding talent with no system designed for retention. Long term goals will be useless if you continue to lose good people.

Fantastic company with strong benefits

Current Employee - Senior Center Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Center Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

FedEx has a People Service and Profit culture where all three are important but you lead your focus on the people. The company and many strong benefits like 401k, dependent care and health savings accounts, vacation, sick time, floating holidays, discounts on shipping and cell services. The health care is better than most though not stellar. The company sets clear expectations and gives you the tools you need to achieve results.

Cons

Health Care coverage could be better and some less frequent shifting of strategic focus. Often times the team is unable to master something because the focus keeps changing.

The company does'nt seem to have a clear direction.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Health benefits, 401K plan. Decent coworkers. Gaining knowledge while on the floor. Becoming a fast thinker in tight situations. Great opportunity if you are in the management level

Cons

Low pay grade for the knowledge needed to work in the store, clientele is too demanding. Management does not support employee career growth. The constant focus and push on revenue drivers is stressful, employees get promoted just to fill in positions and don't fit the qualifications for those positions. Training is not taught based upon realistic situations in the stores.

A fair amount of vacation time instead of accumulating it during every pay period, an understanding for those with schedule limitations, and more support to an employees career growth.

Great place to cultivate professional skills.

Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Cultivating great professional skills such as time management, multi-tasking, leadership, computer skills (some Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign), customer service, professionalism.

Cons

Work / Life balance is tricky at times when you work at a busy center. I worked at about 5 stores over a combined total of 8 years and I noticed at the busier centers they were always needing help and asking people to work overtime. On the other hand if you work at a slower center you still cultivate great skills get paid the same and have a less hectic workday. Make sure to visit the center you are thinking of working at before you decide to work there.

I would recommend trying to find a way to allow those with skills to use them! And I'm not talking just about Graphic Design abilities (FedEx Office outsources all of it's design work), I mean that I felt that the large majority of employees had talents, skills and abilities far greater than they were even allowed to use! This really doesn't make sense when you look at an average day in the life of a FedEx Office employee and see how busy and demanding it can be! So there is a huge demand on one hand and a huge untapped potential in the other hand -- obviously there is a disconnect there! I feel that management is trying to make everything too "easy" and by trying to create systems and rules for everything they don't allow people to express their own creativity. When people are not allowed the chance to express their own creativity they become disengaged and go through the motions.

Do I still believe this is a great company to work for? Yes, I do. I feel that I gained priceless skills and experience while there and would definitely recommend FedEx Office to a friend (and have!).

I think this company will continue to grow and evolve and I would recommend any job seekers to try this business out if they feel like it suits them, just don't plan on making it your career.

Bad Managers

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

Pros

I love the customers. It nice having repeat customers especially when they only ask for you... The variety of tasks is probably the main reason I stayed there so long. It actually is possible to move up in the company.

Cons

It was almost impossible to find someone to take your shift (even incase of a family emergency). Bonuses sucked because they stopped or just made our goal obviously unattainable for our small store. (not just saying that.) Management doesn't care about their employee. They fired store managers for ridiculous reasons as an example to everyone that they are 'cleaning house'. We were good workers who loved our jobs but ended up afraid we would lose our job for no reason every single day. Management and other positions of authority were power hungry and smug. They visited the centers and talked down to us like we didn't have a clue. They only saw the bad. We were never rewarded for our accomplishments.

Managers, when you visit different centers, maybe treat us like we matter to the company. Motivation and excitement at work is no longer felt when you only point out the things that are wrong. Also, when an employee contacts HR about their manager, how about you start taking that kind of stuff more seriously before you start losing customers to Alphagraphics because not even the customer like the manager.

Lacking in the employee relations that other FedEx Entities are known for

Current Employee - Center Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Center Assistant Manager

Pros

Very competitive pay at management level. Fast paced and good benefits.

Cons

Work - Life balance for Assistant Managers is non-existent, at least in my experience. Training needs more substance and there needs to be more focus on making their retail easier to manage.

Instead of having HR ask "What could any company do to make you leave?" in the onboarding process, have them ask 6 months later. The answer would be quite different and it may make a difference in whether a good worker stays or not.

Worked for FedEx Office? Contribute to the Community!