FedEx Office

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips
Brian D. Philips

Pros
  • There's some really good benefits and you'll learn a lot with this company (in 57 reviews)

• Good work/life balance as I was able to work full-time and attend school, 3/4 time (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work with the technological ignorance of both the public and some team members (in 60 reviews)

• Work - Life balance for Assistant Managers is non-existent, at least in my experience (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge disconnect between corporate and retail

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was easy to get hired here with little to no experience. They have some good benefits such as tuition reimbursement and payed time off.

Cons

There was a terrible disconnect between corporate and the retail front of this business. The only reason that fedex bought kinko's was to have all of the locations for shipping drop off centers. The stores are not profitable so corporate wants to cut the expenses as much as possible. There was a very toxic atmosphere with management at the store level, which obviously rolled down hill from corporate. The single goal of this company is to line shareholder pockets with as much cash as they can eke by bulldozing over employees and customers.

Quit now and find a better job

Started at bottom to Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, Decent Benefits, Company Matches 401k to 5%

Cons

horrible management, retail/customer service environment, constant changes/updates to procedures with no real effect.

hold your center managers accountable. Notice how much/what your assistant managers do.

Satisfied employee

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, team oriented, kept busy

Cons

Too many employees sell out of pocket, which makes for irregular customer service.
    Company cares more about profits than employees.

Give back to all your employees, not just upper management.

Helpful managment when trained properly

Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Holiday pay is great, benefits are great and relatively inexpensive, starting pay is reasonable.

Cons

Training is quick and slightly uninvolved. If you are able to learn by observing with little instruction at all then this will be a good job for you. Raises do not come often and are when they do are so small it is insulting. I worked there for two years full-time, and got one raise. It was a 26 cent raise. My evaluation's both times were great--yet I was only bumped slightly. I heard of others getting nickel raises. This is a multi-billion dollar company yet they do not properly recognize loyal hard work. This is not only my opinion, even the center manager who has been with the company for 20 years feels the same. He would sympathetically say, "my hands are tied". This isn't a bad transitional job, but don't get stuck.

Managment is not so bad....it is really a CEO/top of the company issue that perpetuates the situation.

Bad Managers Are Bad Apples

Former Employee - Copy Consultant
    Former Employee - Copy Consultant

I worked at FedEx Office part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with professional customers, such as architects and attorneys. For the most part they had more class and tact than the general public.

Cons

There are peak times of many customers in the store at one time, which can be anxiety-provoking for some people. You need to be able to handle deadline stress well. Pay attention to all orders' deadlines and be realistic when accepting a project because the huge copy machines can only handle a certain amount of jobs at a time.

Pay your employees on time and the appropriate amounts. My time working for this company was good but when I submitted my 2 weeks' notice that I was leaving because of an out-of-state move, my final paycheck was "missing" for over a month. When I finally received it, the pay was short about $300. I ended up having to take them to court and agreed to settle the case --- I rec'd far more than what was originally owed to me because the judge saw that the manager had blatantly underpaid me and his excuses for 3 pay periods where nonsense.

Let your voice be heard or you'll be overlooked

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my experience, other employees were great to work with.

Cons

No creativity in your work.

When an employee goes out of their way to be a team player don't stomp all over them. Night shift got fired, so I temporarily volunteered to work the night shift to cover till someone else could be found. Instead - a new manager comes on board and decides to hire someone in my previous position, keep me on night shift for a year and half despite my continual request to go back to days. And then when they did find someone, they fired me.

No thanks kinkos

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules , free internet

Cons

Low pay, horrible benefits , not much room for promotion, no raises

Check out the management that you hire. So far I've had three managers all of which were tyrants. Appreciate your employees give raises to say thank you.

Work at a 24 hour location if you are SINGLE

Current Employee - Center Consultant in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Center Consultant in Tustin, CA

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teammates are awesome, center manager is awesome

Cons

Crappy hours, low pay, a lot of work, no holidays off, unless you work the grave yard shift.

Don't let your assistant manager do your scheduling because she will give everyone crappy hours so that she can have the perfect schedule.

Very Disappointed in this Organization

Former Employee - Center Manager
    Former Employee - Center Manager

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work life balance was very good. The HR policies were employee friendly. Technical system and online training were excellent.

Cons

Over bearing controls.
    Over reaction to making simple mistakes.
    Lack of clear direction.
    Non profitable business.
    Too much expected from entry level employees.
    No opportunity for creativity or individualism

You expect too much to of employees making 10.00 per hour. As part of a a management and leadership team I was expected to write people up for making simple mistakes. Totally unacceptable!!. The internal controls were not realistic. Several minor mistakes could cause an entire failure. This is leadership, or high expectations. This is just an overreaction to feeling the pressure of declining business and lack of profits. Even when I was in a leadership position in this company I would never recommend any entry level position to my friends.

Used to be a great company - those days are gone!

Current Employee - Senior Center Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Center Manager

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Stable Job
    - Decent Benefits
    - Opportunity to advance your career (up to a point) politics will get in the way at some point
    - You learn how to manage complexity and continually do more with less, these skills are highly transferable to other retail management jobs in the industry.

Cons

As an SCM you can expect to live, eat, sleep and breath your store and the company if you want to be successful. You will continually have your payroll budget slashed and be expected to accomplish more with less payroll and be micromanaged to hit 250 individual metrics and goals that really don't have that much to do with the bigger picture of making your store successful. I have always found that there are 3 elements to making a store successful - develop a great team of people, give amazing service to your customers and drive as much sales as humanly possible! Do these things and the rest generally takes care of itself - only problem is that now-a-days the company wants you to focus your time on everything BUT those 3 things. We cut payroll constantly only to have people quit as a result and then we are told to hire to reduce overtime and then we cut payroll again and repeat cycle....... This companies leadership is it's own worse enemy! Want the company to be successful? Engage and Inspire your center leadership and the Team Members and give the managers back the autonomy to run their businesses as they see fit to give great service and deliver profitable results, and bring back TM Bonus's and improve manager incentive compensation! Also - get rid of some of these District Managers that don't have a clue what they are doing and treat their CM's like garbage and have ridiculous turnover at the CM & AM level in an attempt to get results and save their own jobs. MD's need to take a closer look at the practices of certain district managers and ensure they are actually living the PSP Culture!

Mostly just read the information above......
    STOP cutting payroll out of your centers - you are literally bitting off the hand that feeds you. You need to invest in the in-center operations to drive actual performance improvement.
    Ensure that our Team Members get the hours they need to make a decent living. Our turnover will not improve until this happens
    Stop these "catch you doing something wrong" visits in the field at the executive level, MD & DM Level. Center visits should be about communicating, informing, engaging and inspiring the field!
    Pay closer attention to how some of your DM's behave.