FedEx Office

FedEx Office Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips

Brian D. Philips

Pros
  • Good benefits for the level of job it is (in 54 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great training, and great benefits, including a 401K (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Small yearly raises, customer can be horrible, lazy team members never get fired (in 56 reviews)

• Work - Life balance for Assistant Managers is non-existent, at least in my experience (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware the company caters to Wall St. at the employees' expense

ProsThere's lots to keep you very busy in a retail location. Interesting challenges arise almost every day. It is gratifying to meet these challenges and the needs of customers, most of whom are pleasant and appreciative. Benefits are good, including accrued vacation and sick days, healthcare insurance, substantially discounted shipping rates, potential for transfer when you're relocating, and a flexible 401K plan with limited employer-matching contributions. Uniforms are provided. Educational benefits are good. The corporate culture is rigidly defined and enforced. It is very "corporate." FedEx Office is well-respected externally both on Main Street and on Wall Street. If you are fortunate enough to be hired as full-time (32+ hours per week) entry-level compensation is adequate for a strictly budget-minded single person and/or a couple of breadwinners. Compared with many other corporate retailers, compensation is slightly higher. The company is continuously working to measure, upgrade and improve service and technology. It encourages self-service for customers. Training is accomplished via both computer-based sessions and real-time, face-to-face learning experiences with co-workers.

ConsThe company has launched a long-term campaign to improve its relations with shareholders and Wall Street at the expense of current employees at the lower end of the totem pole. It is purging the ranks of experienced workers, especially those who remain from the Kinko's era prior to 2004. Staffing levels at busy locations have been cut to the bone, negatively impacting both customer service levels and staff morale. The number of tasks assigned to each employee has grown steadily, and the only way to keep up with them is by multi-tasking to the N-th degree. Employees are individually ranked on a fast-growing number of metrics, pitting them into competition against one another. Those at the low end of each list are pressured to improve their individual performance or else live in fear of termination. Retail center employees are required to demonstrate "selling behaviors" to sell items like reams of paper and USB drives instead of focusing their efforts on selling the range of more important "meat-and-potatoes" items which must be sold in order to assure the company's survival.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim to listen to center-based employees but your decisions and actions so obviously belie that claim. Your future as a leader depends on how the company's most basic needs are met. Employees in the center know what happens there every day; their observations and suggestions are more closely based on reality than those of the highly paid MBA holders analyzing metrics while isolated inside the corporate offices.

Working with fedexoffice was a learning experience.

Lead Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsI was able to grow my knowledge in printing, customer service and management skills. I moved up the ladder vy slowly and was able to learn more about self control.

ConsThe management was up and down. In the Alabama Region the management was very one sided.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more diverse.

Generally positive

ProsVery good training for team members. Good benefits, although the pay could be better. Teamwork is emphasized, and the stores are very collaborative.

ConsCan be stressful when customer loads are heavy and staffing is light. Quality of management is wildly variable.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor upper management...follow through on management training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A corporate culture belied by the opportunity to help the public

Center Specialist (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThere are many good things about working for FedEx Office, such as the investment the company seems to make in their employees from day one, which (more often than not) leads to a great work environment at the store level. Benefits are fantastic (I had surgery for $80 - in AMERICA) and the work is fun and engaging.

ConsEverything done above the store level gets filtered through thousands of man-hours of corporate tweaking, so that when it finally trickles down to the employees on the ground it's thick with the gunge of a hundred managers trying to justify their existences.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater autonomy would increase morale, and quality. What plays in Fort Worth doesn't always play in Peoria.

FedEx bought Kinkos and took every perk or bonus away. They promised not to take away the culture, they failed.

Senior Center Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey didn't lay anyone off during the 2007 down turn because they cut everyone's hours to minimum. They also stopped the 401k match for a year and capped all salaries.

ConsWhen you click on Dallas locations only, all of a sudden everything seems rosy. Obviously someone went thru and tried to boost the scores up. Basically the pay is low, the raises are small, and you are lucky to get 36 hours . You will be short staffed and stressed out during half of your daily shift. The higher ups are paid on a commission of what money is made, so the less they have to spend on payroll the more they make. They currently are replacing full time with part time only. They have 1340 job openings currently posted, and that's really only half of what is needed. I see a sell off , remember Circuit City. they ran off all their experienced people first, then it was all down hill from there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have been made to no longer care, so why bother. Most are as frustrated as we are.

A place to work

Will Not Diclose (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCreative and you learn alot

ConsPay is lower
    Stand on feet all day

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair

Corporate is irrational

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsYou have a job, about it.

ConsUnderstaffed, underpaid for what you do, expected to do everything without a raise, raises are a joke, benefits are not that good, they don't care about the team members, threatened constantly of write ups, no family time, you are expected to make Fedex Office your life, work and die, then maybe a thank you. Fake corporate people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us like people, like human beings. Over work your employees because you don't want to hire is ridiculous, nobody is happy here, the only reason we stay is because it's an inside job and it's a stepping stone until we find something better. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. I felt so bad for my center manager. She was so stressed and worked so much off the clock to try and make it and she still was called a failure. Then she would come down on us for it, and that's not right.

Hate my life everyday at the CPC, kill me now

Lead Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsIt seems to be impossible to get fired- job stability.

ConsEverything, bad management, low starting pay, low raises, lazy coworkers, redundant work, inconsistent weekly hours due to the inconsistent workload each week

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better, you'll get better work out of your employees and maybe we would care a little bit about our job.

Not what I ever Expected

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe team that I worked with, How ever day there was something new too learn and the most interesting customers around.

ConsLack of staff for such a busy center. Once one employee would quit or leave there was no chance anyone was taking their place. Higher management would come in and rather then try to explain in a decent professional way on the things that needed to be fixed and focused on they would rather threaten your job in a petty pathetic way. HR is a joke, and I mean a running joke through the company. They won't help you at all. If you have a serious complaint my advice go higher. You will get zero response and if you do nothing is done about anything. Over hearing your manager talking about you to other managers and blaming you for things that were there fault! It was sad and immature, FedEx is a upgraded high school. If you weren't part of there clique and didn't follow them around like little puppy dogs and do things there way ( even though your way was better with way better results) they disregarded you. Training was terrible. And you have a manager watching you on cameras seeing how busy you are but refusing to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advise too you is, it's easy for you too tell us what you want us to do. It's easy to send emails, tell us on the phone etc. But you have never helped 10 people at one time, while packing a box and running two orders. Maybe you should come deal with that for awhile. Maybe then being under staffed won't be a problem for long.

Too much red tape and micromanaging!

Center Consultant (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsFlexible schedules is really the only good thing I can think of.

ConsToo much red tape when it comes to efficiently getting projects done, it doesn't matter if you can demonstrate a better and more efficient way of doing something, you have to do it their way, even if it doesn't work. Rather than fix these issues, management would rather micro-manage things, like how we count down a register, bathroom breaks, and what kind of tape we use.

Also, unless the district manager is your drinking buddy, golfing buddy, or unless you are dating someone in management, you can forget about ever getting a promotion.

If you are part time, there are no health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up! Sometimes your employees know how to do things better than you! Take their good ideas and spread them around the company! Don't act like a petulant child and insist that your way, which has been proven ineffective, is the best way. Good employees feel like they don't matter and have no voice, and that is why you are losing good people!

Worked for FedEx Office? Contribute to the Community!