FedEx Office Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

I used to like working here - An honest review

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at FedEx Office for over 5 years. In my time there I have had an impact on many people's lives and that's the reason why I stay. The benefits are great and the pay can be competitive but only if you negotiated a good rate from the start. The best part of this job for me is the allowed autonomy but that can be the worst part for the average employee. If you like a challenge, FedEx Office is the place for you. I am constantly learning new things and problem solving. If you're timid and afraid of screwing up you need not apply; you won't last a year. This is a great starter job as you will go on to learn a multitude of great skills. You'll especially learn how to look out for yourself and play work politics.

Cons

For anyone looking for just a customer consultant job - the most common complaint amongst my trainees is the lack of a manual. Yes you will be required on a hourly basis to make judgment calls. For the average employee in 2015, this is too much responsibility. The culture of the company aspires to be friendly but the same people who want that positive culture also drive the negativity. I have found myself asked to report on employees many times throughout the past 5 years simply because this employee did not play the politics correctly. You'll watch this person be treated nice to their face but know that the entire time their pink slip is being prepared. They will also fire your colleagues in the neighboring conference room and make it very obvious as to what just happened. There is also a ton of unnecessary gossip. People know things that only HR and your direct manager should know. This company does not reward loyalty. They will hire lower pay grade employees at a higher rate than you expecting them to turn out awesome but you'll watch the same people get fired within a year. It's very frustrating knowing that you are one of the top performers in your district but keeping getting nickel and dimed every review season. As others have stated the work/life balance is not respected and as a hourly manager you'll often be taking phone calls off the clock or taking your work home with you. We are of course supposed to later go in and log these times but that's hardly something any sane person would do because having "excessive" edits on your time card is considered suspicious. After noticing a pattern of this, you will be investigated. (Excessive is defined by them as more than 3 every 2 week pay period. A monthly district meeting will easily bring you to that limit. ) While I understand every company does need to be profitable it does hurt when announced on the splash page the building of a new multi-million dollar facility when it's impossible to keep anyone competent around due to non competitive pay. As a result the lowest common denominator is often what is left.

Advice to Management

Advice to any aspiring managers at FedEx Office - Make your numbers, play the politics, look out for yourself always. Advice to upper-middle management - You need to offer competitive salaries to match skill level. This is NOT a retail job despite what you may classify it as. You are employing skilled labor and the salaries should reflect this. At the same time you need to dump the dead weight; hiring people purely for their customer service skills alone is not the way to go in this business. This places a much higher pressure on the competent individuals who can obviously see the difference and know that the pay is not scaled to reflect skill. I have seen a gradual decline of technical skill in this company and I don't expect it to reverse with the way we are headed. If you want to sell more signs and banners and have them produced within 24 hours; you better have people who can cut a straight line.

2. Center Manager

Former Employee - Center Manager, Tier II in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Center Manager, Tier II in Longmont, CO

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for.

Cons

Not as concerned with results as much as company imposed metrics in certain areas,

Advice to Management

Make your metrics in every area,

3. Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, friendly customers positive vibe.

Cons

Low pay, minimal job advancement opportunities

5. Good benefits

Current Employee - Center Manager in Dolton, IL
    Current Employee - Center Manager in Dolton, IL

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and great place to meet interesting people.

Cons

If you land in the wrong district with the wrong manager it can be a little frustrating

Advice to Management

always do what you feel needs to be done.

Continuous decline in employee treatment & workplace satisfaction

Former Employee - Lead Production Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Production Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-"okay" pay - full benifits (vacation, 401k, medical, dental, vision, etc.) even for part-timers - opportunity to learn new skills & software - employee discounts on printing & shipping

Cons

- opportunity for advancement has been greatly reduced - bonus structure for non-management staff was disbanded - pay scale restructured and reduced - staffing vs workload poorly managed (too much to do, not enough people to get it done) - EXTREMELY HIGH STRESS ENVIRONMENT - the "Company" is always prioritized over the needs of the employee or customer

Advice to Management

Be more available to your staff and advocate for them when corperate is implementing new policies.

7. So much potential, but lacking vision

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time

Pros

If you're at a busy center with mixed clientele, the core work can be challenging and satisfying. FedEx full-time benefits are good. I also have a pretty good team to work with, which helps a lot. Not too friendly to "dumb" or lazy team members. Requires more effort and intelligence than your typical retail job.

Cons

Kinko's and FedEx culture clash with regards to management, execution and addressing customer concerns. FXO isn't sure what it wants to be. It is referred to as the "face" of FedEx, yet there is little one can do to aid customers beyond initially packing and shipping (on the ship side). There is a technology gap that prevents you from efficiently addressing customer needs, in ways that you'd expect to be able in 2015. Machine maintenance problems, too much paperwork, poorly programmed POS terminal and order-taking software. Downward pressure from district and regional management to obtain surveys and add-ons of poor products with weak incentives.

Advice to Management

The company needs fresh ideas that are executed and new people to do it. This is a brand that hobbles along surviving, when it could be thriving as THE place to take care of business and connect people to possibilities. But it isn't, and without scooping up some fresh thinkers, it never will be.

Good company, but could be better to employees

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time

Pros

Fast pace environment with many opportunities for advancement. The pay is compatible with the industry. Every day is slightly different. Paid vacation and sick time and holidays.

Cons

The company no longer offers bonuses to the lower level employees even though those are the individuals who are usually responsible for how their store is doing compared to others in the same bracket. Only assistants and managers get those bonuses. The company does not like to give out overtime.

Advice to Management

Allow busy stores to hire the appropriate number of employees needed so that when someone needs to take time off, it is does not make the other employees have to suffer being short one person.

9. good place

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and generally a relaxed place to work. The location in the Galleria complex was great. People were usually very responsive and helpful in getting tasks done.

Cons

Salaries could be better, but other than that, I enjoyed working there.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at FedEx Office

Pros

Good Benefits Great training Diverse Great advancement opportunities as well as a great platform to move on

Cons

Unappreciative No work/home balance - NONE No set schedule You have to have the patience of a saint Very Political Lower level employees get limited Bonuses Classified as a retail job, but should be considered a technical job. Should pay more. Not flexible

Advice to Management

Care more for the people who support you. Everything is not always black and white. Be more flexible. Thank your employees daily.

11. FedEx

I worked at FedEx Office

Pros

Scheduling based on school needs

Cons

Locations locations locations locations locations

RSS Feed </> Embed