FedEx Office

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips
Brian D. Philips

Pros
  • There's some really good benefits and you'll learn a lot with this company (in 57 reviews)

• Good work/life balance as I was able to work full-time and attend school, 3/4 time (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work with the technological ignorance of both the public and some team members (in 60 reviews)

• Work - Life balance for Assistant Managers is non-existent, at least in my experience (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Center Manager

Former Employee - Center Manager
    Former Employee - Center Manager

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good People, loved customer interaction and every day was different

Cons

Bad Upper Management - Way too unrealistic goals - no staff, or payroll for staff - worked several double shifts without breaks - DM's basically didn't care but no OT allowed.

listen to employees- ok for town hall meetings but actually implement changes - way different than the old Kinko's days

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Center Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Center Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The customers are mostly business professionals with a scattering of clients needing personal projects completed and are generally good to deal with. The work is varied, making for less monotonous days, and there are bouts of business during shipping "peaks" which makes the shift go by rather quickly.

Cons

Compensation is Terrible. The execs of our company keep getting immense cash bonuses, while we get 1-2% increases if anything at all. They've removed our "store" bonus and replaced it with incentive programs which typically generate $10 to $20 extra dollars a month where we used to get $100 a month if we made our store plan. Training is non-existent. The last hire we had still doesn't know how to perform basic job functions 9 months into the job. Lastly, the fear factor. FedEx is a real pro at making everyone nervous about doing anything. From one manager to the next, policies shift and you can't decide what foot to dance on. The constant changing policies also affect the customer in a negative fashion, which you have to resolve on a daily basis while somehow selling them a product of the month.

I have been with the company for many years, and the incredible culture that existed as Kinkos is now completely vanished, replaced by mediocre fear-mongering management and disillusioned employees.

Stop metric focused management, and start people focused management. Upper management needs to spend a whole month working as undercover boses so they can see how their own policies are slowly driving away both customers, and the talent in the organization.

Senior Center Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at FedEx Office

Pros

Great training programs and some really great mentors in place.

Cons

Tenured district managers who do not pull their weight nor would they know how too. Even after intiative to make certain "everyone all the way up to the executive level should be able to execute every position in the center" still ineffective. Same DMs were still unable to model the way and were not great coaches rather still demining as usual.

To the CEO when is enough, enough and you finally hold you VP, MD, and DM team accountable. This is suppose to be a SHINE company right? When are these so called leaders going to model outstanding "internal" customer service to us. Probably never because either they have not been behind the counters or if they have it has been too long and their arragonce blinds them.

Hourly Sales with limited bonus potential.

Current Employee - CSS in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - CSS in Denver, CO

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co Workers are generally smart and pleasant. Benefits package pretty cost-effective.

Cons

Corporate direction for CSS position changes frequently. Promises of promotion form within yet pigeon-holing and outside hires for well-publicized internal postings persist.
    Hourly sales are basically support for salary sales, and that is bonus based and not commission. FXO is basically small division of FDX, inter-division moves are difficult.

Pick a vision and stick with it for at least 6 months.

Low paying retail job.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good coworkers. That's about it.

Cons

Management too hung up on procedures and not concerned with employees or customers

Back off on documentation and dumb procedures. Pay your employees better

Overworked, under-staffed, under-paid for what it was

Former Employee - Center Consultant in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Center Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No crazy hours, shifts kept the same week to week. Nice people to work with.

Cons

I did not received the training I was promised. You have to wear a name tag and get get written up (kindergarten much?) for not wearing one, or forgetting. During the rush hours, it can seem like black Friday at Macy's. The did not have the staff support needed for such an operation. Had to schedule sick days. I worked half of my shift alone, and people worked Saturdays and Sunday's alone. Absolutely no work/life balance. Due to a lack of training, there was no room for advancement.

Get a janitorial service, I didn't sign on to clean the men's bathroom. Get rid of the useless, ever-changing metrics. A pizza party was a reward in middle school, think of something different. Need more than a half hour for lunch.

Micro management of employees and low low pay

Former Employee - Production Operator in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Kent, WA

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people when it comes to training BUT......learning differs greatly depending upon who is training.

Cons

There is no place to go unless you can tolerate years earning a non-living wage. The turnover is great due to the low wages and very fast-paced physical work. It's just not worth it (go to fast food). Most of the long-term (more than 1 year) employees feel "stuck" and are forced to maintain two jobs. You have a FEW very dedicated, caring, helpful hard working people who are not being compensated appropriately. The rest of them are arrogant, selfish, bossy people with their own agenda. Way too much time is spent trying to fix or clean printers - instead of using them.

For crying out loud, pay a cleaning company to maintain the rest-rooms and break area which will free-up more time for people to do the job they are being paid to do, every 15 minutes counts. Quit the micro-management, assume people are working at completing jobs as well as they possibly can, as quickly as they can until or unless it's apparent they are not. This location is being run like a sweat shop. The turn-over will not change until people feel valued.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chance to move up the ladder
    Shipping discounts
    Vacation benefits

Cons

sub-par pay
    Difficulty to use your sick time.
    Work load.
    Manager never communicate via email. They are strongly discourage to leave paper trail behind.

Team member handbook rules have double meaning. Without a law degree it is not possible to make policies work in your favor.

Not so good.

Current Employee - Center Consultant
    Current Employee - Center Consultant

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good for a new college graduate or someone fresh out of high school to gain new skills.

Cons

Little to no raises. Few if any breaks. No work-life balance. Low pay for the level of knowledge and stress required for this job. Customers with unrealistic expectations.

A pay raise would be nice. Center consultants should be making $15 an hour. However, the pay is barely above minimum wage.

Great Company

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time

Pros

Good benefits, they really do take care of their employees and tuition reimbursement,

Cons

Back when I use to work for Fedex. My manager was not a good leader and role model at all

Hire good managers that are good leaders and role model to employees.