FedEx

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,058 reviews

FedEx Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Pros
  • Depending on which area you work in, there's decent work life balance(in 107 reviews)

• Good benefits which are offered to all employees (full & part time)(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is fairly good except during "peak" times(in 21 reviews)

• Heavy responsibilities may require long hours, stressful environment(in 27 reviews)

1,058 Employee Reviews

Intern Insights

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsThe people at FedEx are amazing. The company pays very well, even its interns. My higher ups did a great job of making me feel comfortable and included. The culture is fun and vibrant. Being such a big company they get to play with the other "big boys."

ConsThere is a lot of red tape to get through at FedEx. Everything has to go through legal and brand scrutiny. Being such a large company, your field of work is very narrow, especially in marketing as there are several teams and multiple directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making sure that your employees feel included and appreciated. Try to facilitate a good work/life balance for salaried employees so they do not burn out.

Had no problems!

Driver P&D (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFlexibility was great. It afforded me a good work/home balance with no surprise calls. For me, working with management was a great experience. The atmosphere was professional yet light and informal enough to achieve great communication.

ConsHaving to bring packages back after-hours - that was a nuisance, even though it didn't happen very often. Would be nice if the eligible Contract employees were offered permanent positions throughout the company and their divisions based on his (her) performance as opposed to hiring outside help after the contract period is over. Makes much more sense to hire whom the management is familiar instead of starting all over again with strangers and having the Contract employees re-apply for permanent spots. For instance, I was offered an on-call spot. Had it been permanent full-time AND a step-up into a CDL-driving position, I would've stayed to this day.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplication process is horrendous! Shouldn't take anyone 4 hours to complete an application, especially when questions are repetitive. May want to consider reworking the online Application program. I do like, however, the way the information was saved in the System, which shaved off some input time to the application. As for the CEO, I can't offer an opinion because I wouldn't know who he is if he walked past me in a grocery store.

If you want to do it right and feel good doing it

Technical Quality Architect (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFedEx makes you feel like you make the world go around (later, you realize you actually do!) - you are taught to live something we call the Purple Promise that simply states "I will make every FedEx experience outstanding". Very soon, you realize that dock loaders, desk workers, strategists, individual contributors, managers and executives actually believe this stuff and care about not just getting the job done but they actually care how you felt before, during and after you did it!! Very strange to most people under pressure to perform but the level of buy-in at the highest levels of the company shows newcomers right away that this company truly puts people first. If you're not feeling good about doing something, they want to know why - genuinely and fix it before you proceed.
    Quality Driven Management - This program has roots into every nook and cranny of operations and IT. FedEx truly believes in continuously improving to get better, finding better ways of doing things, being more efficient, gaining new skills and always pushing the boundaries of achievement while at the same time encouraging employees to live heavy family lives, taking vacations, flexible work from home options (mandatory 2 weeks of work from home) etc.
    When you're feeling this good about your work and your contributions, I challenge you to put out poor work - you can't - it's not possible.

ConsThere aren't enough observed national holidays - I think FedEx (being a worldwide deliver business) only observes 6 National holidays.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing

SSA-Associate (Current Employee) Dehradun (India)

ProsBenefites,personal growth, company values, Company has a strong thirst for talent and gives them the required opportunity to grow in their professional as well as in their personal life.

ConsNot that much flexible for ground level staff

Advice to Senior ManagementRelation must be more strong with lower level employees

Great!

ProsAn absolutely GREAT company to work for

ConsHard to get on there

excellent company that cares for it's employees

Business Applications Advisor (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCollaborative environment with learning opportunities and challenging work. Every employee has a direct impact on the bottom line and are able to see how their individual contributions help the growing company take it's place as a top competitor in the market. Competitive salaries, great benefits, and employee perks make this a great place to work.

Conswith the slowing economy and not as much natural attrition, opportunities for advancement are lacking

Good people. Good PSP.

ProsExcellent Standard Operating Procedures.
    Need to leverage more human capital experiences.

ConsOpportunities in BC are minimal for management, however, can continue to be a good company if you are willing to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate open concepts

Mgr/Sr. Mgr Assist V

Manager/Senior Manager Assist V (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere is a wide range of responsibilities that allow for professional growth within the company. Management genuinely cares about the success of their employees, and gives you the tools to complete the job.

ConsThe cons of working with FedEx are that there is CONSTANT change, and mediocre salaries. It can be a challenging company to work for due to the high demand, but also rewarding to those that work hard.

Great place to work

ProsOffers many opportunities for career advancement as the company almost exclusively promotes from within.

Great Benefits package.

ConsDon't plan on taking vacations at Christmas time as the industry is always in busy mode and the hours are there to be had.

One of the best big companies to work for

ProsFedEx people are pleasant to work with. The company does things to offer a lot of training and development for its employees. They put more into training and development than other company I've worked for. They also are very diverse and believe in putting high quality people in positions to succeed. The benefits are also excellent, particularly if you live in Memphis.

ConsTo move far up the ladder, you'll have to live in Memphis, TN at some point. And if you're from a big city environment, or like having lots of cultural things to do, you probably won't be thrilled to live there. However, if you tend to throw your life into your work, then that might be a good thing because you won't have many distractions (if you're from a small town or like a slower pace of life, it's perfect). The company is also conservative, bureacratic, methodical, and tends to move slow. If you are used to fast-paced, wheeling and dealing companies where you don't need multiple levels of approvals for things, then this might not be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some of the bureacracy. Allow more telecommuting.

Worked for FedEx? Contribute to the Community!