FedEx

3.7
1,253 Reviews

FedEx Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Smith
Fred Smith

Pros
  • Currently have a manager that understands work/life balance (in 124 reviews)

• Good benefits which are offered to all employees (full & part time) (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is fairly good except during "peak" times (in 26 reviews)

• Heavy responsibilities may require long hours, stressful environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Years of good experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FedEx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability - You have to really mess up to lose your job

Cons

Long work hours, little recognition, reduced benefits, difficult to get promoted, very political culture

Stop reducing head count and overloading the existing resources to complete 2 or 3 jobs in addition to their day job. Outsourcing development is not the answer. It is only creating more problems.

OK

I have been working at FedEx

Pros

it was fun for a while.

Cons

it is boring to work there.

fast moving

I worked at FedEx

Pros

great work with people there

Cons

fast pace and strict with time of complete

Not very professional at all

Former Employee - Java Applications Developer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Java Applications Developer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at FedEx as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good location for commute and good work locality

Cons

1) They have no idea how to keep proper job postings. Job posting was for Java Developer Position and was expected to work on Korn Shell Scripting and Python on linux.
    2) Management has no good way to deal with contractors. Treats them like dispensable toilet rags, without proper regards of informing them off job until last moment.
    3) System designers and architects very bad on delivering proper ideas and vision to the existing and new projects.

1) Since you are the face of the company, professionalism while hiring and letting people go should be handled with care.
    2) Hire better system architects and designers who have at least decent vision and expectations on software development.

Whip cracking

Current Employee - Could BE A Great Place to Work If Some Changes Are Made Soon in Macon, GA

I have been working at FedEx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like my job and try as much as possible to adavnce. I am the spotter but what is that really saying? I learn how to do the job. I can scan trucks, split 100,200 & 300 belts. I finally got Insurance. This is the first time that I wanted to work for somebody else in about 20 years. I like the shift that I work. It enable be to do construction work in the daytime. I am very use to working hard and I know how to make my job work smoother. I am a problem solver. I apply my work ethics to Fedex and share what ever I can with who is willing to listen. I hope one day to be come a manager

Cons

One of the mangers is a slave driver. He brings his personal problems to work with him. Then he unloads it on the crew members. Don't get him cross on that day when he comes in,in a bad mood. That was yesterday. Don't really know what I did. He is like a hound dog just got a peice of your clothes given to him. And everybody knows that he is out to get you.
    There are only three white people working on our shift. It is very hard work.

Don't drive your people lead them. People will work for you if you are willing to treat them like human beings. Do more training and not just drop your people off in a area and then a week later complain about how they are not doing a good job. Know your people, because some of them really want to stay. Followers make good leaders. If you can't get people to follow you then you must ask yourself why. Train someone for your job and that is really how you move up. Be real with you people, some can spot a fake a mile away.

Great for anyone seeking benefits

Current Employee - Package Handler Part-time
    Current Employee - Package Handler Part-time

I have been working at FedEx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is great for someone who is just entering the workforce.

Cons

Scheduling sucks. You wait for a text to see what sort you start.

Live up to your open door policy.

Thankful for the experience and knowledge I gained as well as the relationships

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at FedEx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, training, and opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Hourly employees work extremely hard but are not paid wages that reflect their worth

FedEx has lost sight of its PSP philosophy over the past 10 years - the focus is on the shareholders and not employees who have and continue to make FedEx successful.

Part time handler

I worked at FedEx

Pros

Great place to work. Decent pay for the job.

Cons

None that I can think of...

Good company overall

I have been working at FedEx

Pros

Good wages and local management. I would recommend FedEx to a friend and have.

Cons

Some micro-management from upper management. Benefits have lessened over the past few years and it is rare now to get 100% of bonus. Usually attain between 25-50% now since they changed how it is paid out. When I started 100 -120% attainment was considered normal. It used to be based on station performance alone. Now it is based on local, operating company performance, and corporate performance. If FedEx decides to buy 100 new planes, it now affects your bonus. I wouldn't mind the new structure as long as it was attainable. Seems like they always have a reason for not paying out complete bonuses, even when then company is doing well. We haven't come close to 100% since they changed it.

Either do away with the bonus and increase annual pay, or make it more attainable. It only frustrates people to know they can't attain a goal, no matter how well they perform their job. For upper management, listen more to people on the frontline to understand the challenge's better before instituting policy and procedural changes that may just make things worse.

Fedex is an impressively well run company

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Springfield, MO

I have been working at FedEx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management is well selected; the facilities and concern for employees is a priority; and the work is variable , constant, and fast paced.

Cons

There havent been any major cons in my experience so far. Like any industrial job, there is constant noise (belts running, etc), but I couldnt see it leading to even slight hearing damage unless one worked full time for years.