FedEx Reviews

97 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. If you are going to be in Transportation, you might as well sell for FedEx.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

Pros

Good repuation in marketplace. Top of the heap as far as transportation companies are concerned. Stability. Excellent marketing machine. So many tools and resources it's almost overwhelming. An 800 support number strictly for sales (It's not perfect but it does help to have a dedicated line to call when you are in a pinch). Good customer service. Also, operationally the service IS very good. Depends on your boss, but overall there is job flexibility and personally I feel like I am treated with respect - like an adult.

Cons

Like many companies, it pays to be connected. There are many "lifers" here. Senority and relationships do play a role in who gets opportunities/promotions. Which is fine and the way things work but they make great efforts to put on the appearance of being "neutral". Benefits are not as good as you would expect from a Fortune 500 co. either.

Advice to Management

Too much minutia on the reporting level. Job should allow for more "street time" and less "admin" time and should be based more on revenues/bottom line. It would also be nice if there was more formal individual coaching/mentoring at the Acct Exec level. And more opportunities to exchange ideas directly with Sr Mgt. like the "411 Forum". Realize $ is tight, but cutting Annual (Nat'l) Sales Mtg not good for morale.

It could be worse, but it could always be better

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Collierville, TN

Pros

FedEx has the ability to pull up its bootstraps when times get difficult. I have seen management continually cut costs, thus ensuring the workforce is spared from layoffs. In a time when job security is somewhat scarce, FedEx has continually offered its workforce a safe haven as long as packages keep shipping. I believe this is a testament to the overall management by our founder Fred Smith. As long as he is around, I really do believe the employees will be thought about before drastic cuts are made.

Cons

There are a lot of "old guard" employees left at FedEx. The same benefit that FedEx has in providing a safe haven for its employees, also leads to a bit of a downfall in unqualified workers. In the IT arena where I work, there are many folks still on the job, whether having moved to a new department or not, whose time had come many years ago. Unfortunately, it seems neither they nor management has seen it that way. It leads to discourse in some of the younger and hungrier employees who share the same titles as the older ones, but end up performing most of the work. These "old-timers", whose vacation times now exceed 5 weeks in some cases, come and go as they please, and are allowed to reap the same benefits and titles as those of us with much more aptitude for the job. This can be very discouraging and cause a lot of qualified folks to turn away from working at FedEx.

Advice to Management

Work with HR on the branding of employees with their titles. An employee who is unable to load an operating system on their own PC and one who is responsible for the architecting of a datacenter's SAN should not hold the same title and pay scale. I know HR classifies people as such to pay them close to the same salaries, but a SAN engineer should be payed way more than a glorified customer service representative. Until that changes, the "valuable and experienced" IT force will always be way underpaid for what they do.

Good place to work overall, but there are definite downsides.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Collierville, TN

Pros

Good benefits package. New employees start with two weeks paid vacation. The medical insurance package is fairly good too. I've heard that the annual bonus program is better than average, but I have yet to see that due to a downturn in business. The annual raise is 2-4%. I enjoy my coworkers as well.

Cons

New hire training was non existent. I spend more time dealing with the "system" than I do writing code. We have tons and tons of paperwork to complete. The system is very rigid at FedEx. Recently we were told that we needed to work at least 45 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Senior management (VP level) expects results that may not be possible.

5. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Fred Smith. Confident that FedEx will be a leader as long as he is at the helm.

Cons

Long hours and things are always changing.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote the right people with right experience. Look at longer term track records instead of one year or one hour interview.

Quality Driven Management - Make it Work!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Collierville, TN

Pros

Fred Smith knows what he's doing. He has based FedEx on the People-Service-Profit premise that if you take care of your people, they will provide the service needed and the profit will come. He actually wants to take care of his employees and customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, too many in management/senior management are more interested in their next promotion or how to obtain a 5-Star than they are in doing right things right the first time. Fred's renewed emphasis on Quality is falling on deaf ears in the management and senior management ranks. They are using the ready-fire-aim method rather than assess-build-launch-evaluate.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the big picture. Do what's right for FedEx instead of what's right for your career. Stop building those silos. Listen to your senior professionals - they are in the trenches and know what's happening and what can be done to make improvements. Stop killing productivity because you are trying to make a splash. You are creating a frustrated and demotivated work force.

Great place to work for people whp are not high acheivers

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst

Pros

Work/Life balance You can work from home, come late, leave early, go to the doctor without wasting vacation What it does for the community Diversity Perks Benefits Job Security Fun place to work People

Cons

Some people have been there too long Not innovative enough in some areas There are some poor managers out there Very slow to get things changed Adoption of open source. People & leadership development in IT

Advice to Management

Need more competent people in IT Unlease the younger workforce within IT Quit making the ranks into management a mystery.

8. Excellent corporate job

Current Employee - Marketing Principal in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing Principal in Memphis, TN

Pros

People are the focus for FedEx, you always feel that the company cares about you. This is also a very customer centric compnay so we will bend over backwards to make customers happy and FedEx rewards employees for doing that.

Cons

As any large corporation, there is bureaucracy and things are slow to get done as you have to fight for resources. Currently due to bad ecomony there are no carreer opportunites at FedEx, it is in a so-called 'hiring freeze'. Memphis is another downside. This is not an exciting city and crime is bad.

Advice to Management

We need to be faster to market with new products and let's think GLOBAL. While International is the growth engine for FedEx, there is not enough resources allocated to this area.

9. Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Memphis, TN

Pros

People are treated decently - fair towards minorities and immigrants. Race or color does not matter towards promotions! FedEx is the largest employer of immigrants within the state of Tenneessee. Certain groups have world class talent and it is a great experience to work with such people. The benefits are great with discounted air tickets, good health insurance, great work environment, etc.

Cons

Company is slow to move to market conditions and bit conservatinve. As a result if you want to make a change it will take time and at times could be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Move aggressively towards market conditions - like buying fuel options to bring down operating costs. This should help the company to compete better in the $100+ oil relam.

Long Committments Valued Here

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

Open communication about things that are happening within the company at any given time. Senior Leadership is focused on the employee and their happiness, but they are too concerned with paperwork. The environment is awesome and the comraderie next to none.

Cons

TOO MANY FORMS!! It seems like there are four hundred forms to fill out every time you want to make a change to your employee account, or your benefits, or your schedule. Nothing is easy. There are also rampant conerns about acquisitions and the opportunities afforded by them. Too many chiefs and not enough indians it would seem like.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people on the lowest rung as it is them who make the company run.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Collierville, TN

Pros

Great pay for the area. I am very happy with how I am treated at FedEx. FedEx has a pension plan that is very nice. The pension plan is a portable pension plan, which means I keep it even if I leave the company; however, I have no plans to leave. The IT market in Memphis is very poor right now. I feel lucky to be at FedEx during such hard times. Hilton, Internation Paper, Service Master, and Harrah's Entertainment all seems to making big cut backs, including layoffs. It seems that the only IT jobs left in Memphis are contract jobs.

Cons

It is hard to make a name for yourself and stand out. Great pay for the area. I am very happy with how I am treated at FedEx. FedEx has a pension plan that is very nice. The pension plan is a portable pension plan, which means I keep it even if I leave the company; however, I have no plans to leave. The IT market in Memphis is very poor right now. I feel lucky to be at FedEx during such hard times. Hilton, Internation Paper, Service Master, and Harrah's Entertainment all seems to making big cut backs, including layoffs.

Advice to Management

Good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed