Federal Government

Federal Government Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Federal Government President Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, the best I have ever experienced(in 25 reviews)

• Job Security with global impact through warfighter supported efforts(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Could probably earn substantially more in the private sector with enough experience(in 20 reviews)

• long hours, federal job market is downsizing so its getting harder to find a federal job if thats your choice of emploment(in 12 reviews)

83 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent experience and plan to return to the feds again.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsStability, benefits, challenging projects, work/life balance.

ConsDC commute is horrible, pay is lower than market average - much more money in being a gov contractor and many of those companies have comparable benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease COLA and step increases to offset rising cost of insurance premiums and high cost of living in areas like DC/NOVA, San Fran, etc. I wanted to remain a fed, but couldn't afford to live in NOVA. The only affordable housing for a family of 5 was 70 miles south in Fredericksburg, VA.

Policy, Procurement, and Project Management

Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits and pretty good job security
    Lots of opportunities to solve complex problems

ConsAntiquated systems and thinkers
    Somewhat of a tight squeeze on mobility - ESPECIALLY if out of the DC area

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for GS-12 thru GS-15 employees to reside outside of the DC area
    Utilize technology more to minimize redundancies and gain efficiency

Endless opportunities to excel.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTravel, personal growth, training, education, benefits

ConsLong hours, continuity of the positions does not last because of personnel transfers every 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead and mentor junior employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working as a fed

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHiring. Many agencies are still trying to get through hiring moratoriums due to the latest CRA and sequestration impacts. Expecting alot of human capital turnover due to many employees retiring.

ConsIt has always been easier to get hired with the government than get fired from the government. Disparate treatement and human resource rules that prevent timely resolution of personnel issues -- whether against a supervisor, co-worker or subordinate.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe perception that a politican (or someone with political desires/connections) or former military bring leadership and managerial skills to the table is not necessarily true. It seems that a majority of those falling within this demographic believe leadership and management are synonyms.

As challenging as it is frustrating

Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood job security (not 100% though), can be challenging, good experience, good benefits and work/life balance. Fairly easy to change positions and change is encouraged.

ConsDifficult to advance, pay is not competitive with private sector. Promotions are very competitive at higher levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementWill fall on deaf ears.

Different from Private sector

Human Resources (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGrowth Professional Opportunity, benefits, flexibility.

ConsProcess are slow, creativeness is slow

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider to let the employees do their job

Comfortable Job, Must Be Your Own Advocate to Advance

Senior Auditor (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat benefits, comfy perks.
    Nice salary.
    Reasonable and flexible hours.
    Work-life balance is awesome.
    Bearable.

ConsAdvancement is not easy. Very poltical and favoritism is prevalent.
    Job satisfaction linked to rating official/manager. Not many good managers. People promoted to manager without people skills and not able to motivate staff. Very negative people, no screening for managing skills prior to becoming a manager. Diretly impacts every day work life, organizational success and motivation.
    Sometimes work is boring. Not always challenging and opporunities to grow and advance are few and far between, depends on manager. Must ask for and make opportunities for yourself.
    Low employee morale. Staff unhappy with culture in my office. People leaving due to dissatisfaction of management not including them in decision-making or listening to their concerns.
    With sequestration and budget cuts, less financial leverege for training, hiring new staff and travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been at my current job for over 4.5 years. Management should be ne more preventative as opposed to detective and reactive. Ask for regular and 360 feedback from staff as opposed to after-the-fact feedback obtained during mass exit interviews. Senior management surprised that many people quit suddenly and remaining staff are extremely unhappy with current culture and work environment. Performance review system inadequate, not always fair, depends on if your manager likes you, which I am lucky that mine does :) . Promotions based on politics and favoritism. Some people are not good managers and should be evaluated by those they manage (upward feedback). However, as a lower level staff, upward feedback on my managers has never been requested from me by senior management.

Program Manager

Program Manager (Current Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsStability, good people, good work

ConsMore time based than merit based progression

My experience was less stellar than expected.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-The quality of professionals you work with, in terms of expertise and integrity, is generally of the highest caliber.
    -Government benefits are awesome.
    -Hard work is rewarded.

Cons-Some government employees are entrenched in positions that they are no longer qualified for.
    -Promotions can be very political and fraught with "who knows who."
    -People in positions of power can often become tyrannical and no one can do anything about it.

Advice to Senior Management-Leaders in positions of power should not be allowed to bully less senior employees, yet it happens more frequently than management realize.
    -Weed out corruption and fight against "the good old boy" syndrome, which is alive and thriving in the federal government.
    -Create an effective performance evaluation system, so that non-performance is not rewarded.

The federal government is a great place to complete an internship while getting a masters degree.

Intern (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsAble to work on multiple programs as an intern

ConsThere wasn't any room in the budget to pay me as an intern. It wasn't something negative, but also would have been nice to be compensated.

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!