Federal-Mogul

Updated March 2, 2015
2.5

Federal-Mogul CEO Rainer Jueckstock
Rainer Jueckstock

Pros
  • Generally good people and peer group to work with internally within the company (in 5 reviews)

• Good work environment as long as you are not working at the headquarters (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • best talent driven out of upper management with politicians remaining (in 5 reviews)

• The senior executives in this company have created a toxic work environment that has force many good employees to leave (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a great deal at Federal-Mogul and am happy to have the experience to be challenged so much.

Current Employee - IS Telecom Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - IS Telecom Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Federal-Mogul has offered me many chances to learn new technologies.
    Everyone is approachable.
    The job can be very rewarding.
    Human resources really cares about the people.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to keep up with the rapid pace of change that occurs at this company.
    The healthcare plans aren't the best.
    The vacation time is short.

I would suggest more training be given to employees.

Good people, a lot of over time

Current Employee - Inspector
    Current Employee - Inspector

I have been working at Federal-Mogul full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are great to work with

Cons

over time ranges from 8 - 32 hours a week

System Analst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at Federal-Mogul

Pros

Flexible working schedule. Turnover is low.

Cons

IT is doing outsourcing now. Lots of jobs have been took over by India.

Leaving after ten years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, AL

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is good for the area, but, as it has often been noted, it's just enough to keep you there.

Cons

Moral cowardice is rampant in Middle Management; upper management are all people who have worked together for 20-30 years and suffer from Groupthink. Illogical decisions are the order of the day; hey-didin't-we-try-this-before is a recurring theme. Employees have no voice, there are, worst of all, cliques and favorites, and coworkers who assume authority and tattle. Nothing ever changes for the better. Employees will be told one thing, then the company will go back on their word, as in working holidays, planned events, hirings, and the like, so most employees don't trust anything management tells them. Temps now working for 2-5 years without getting hired full time.

Get rid of your "idea men" whose ideas never work. Promote some people who deserve to be promoted, not someone's nephew. Discourage dating among the workers. End nepotism and stop hiring relatives of employees. Encourage your forty plus year people to retire.

Good Experience Overall - Not Overly Exciting, But Solid Honest Work

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To most employees the Company will appear organized as many somewhat autonomous manufacturing sites in distant orbits around the world headquarters in Southfield, Michigan. In the communities where these sites are based, F-M still provides relatively well-paying manufacturing jobs. That's a good thing. Nice that they haven't solely concentrated all their operations in the traditional rust-belt states of Ohio and Michigan. Enjoyed my time there. Room for professional advancement - but you had to seek it out.

Cons

No cons. In the end I just didn't find auto-parts interesting anymore so I left the industry.

Perhaps make more of an effort to educate workers about all the other part of the corporation: fuel pumps, bearings, seals, filters, etc. and operations in many parts of the world. Create a program of internal ambassadors to visit other product line sites and report back to their home communities.

Great company, great benefits

Former Employee - Setup in Smithville, TN
    Former Employee - Setup in Smithville, TN

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Set-schedule, can learn new skills, ability to promote easily, fun work environment, organized, specialized training avail, great team work

Cons

Very hot during summer, very dirty work, some immoral employees with small town drama, some department leads not helpful at all

Overall, Federal Mogul has been my most favorite employer. Every place has its' Pro's & Con's but for me, FM has more positive than negative. Training is great, opportunity for employee growth and promotion is great, pay could be better but considering the small town and its' cost of living-not bad pay. Need to further crack down on random drug testing and immoral employee/lead/supervisor behavior. Also should accept re-hires after certain time-frame

Good experience.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Southfield, MI

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Challenging assignments. Friendly team environment.

Cons

Interesting choice for promotions. Many people have been here too long and need to move on.

Absolutely Horrible

I worked at Federal-Mogul

Pros

1) Benefits package
    2) Safety was a priority

Cons

1) Lack of honest communication. In my experience, I gained more information from the rumor mill than from my own bosses.
    2) Lack of appeals policies. By that, I mean any worker can go the Plant Manager if there was a disagreement.
    3) Lack of accountability. Supervisors and team leads are punished for the smallest of things. However, the hourly workers can get away with assault and battery which actually did happen. These were due to personal connection to management.

Change your entire upper management and place human resource policies that would ensure an escalation of appeals. For example, an hourly worker should go through his/her team lead or supervisor before going to human resources.

Stagnant & Stupid IT management drives talent out of the organization

Former Employee - Information Technology in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Southfield, MI

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn what 'not to do'. Great place to learn how to be IT Directors without knowing anything about IT. :)

Cons

Headquarter is the worst example of poor upper management. People that have no technical background are IS directors. Without any clue on how to manage technical people, they run the show by maintaining good ole' boys club. It is sickening. Idiots with only thing in their pocket = 25 years of service. And they will be directors. No room for any promotion for new talent. Game of throne ...gone wrong. Senior management fights over petty things. Its ridiculous and pathetic. They recently started outsourcing their IT on motoparts side. What they should do is fire all upper management.

LEAVE. You are fearful that if you do...no one will hire you. As you are good ONLY for Federal-Mogul's pathetic way. You are likely right in your assumptions. You will NOT survive at another place. STILL...LEAVE. Motorparts CIO is an idiot. His staff...bigger idiots.

Great atmosphere to work in.

I have been working at Federal-Mogul

Pros

There is a very friendly attitude toward all the coworkers within the plant. Great family look on the work place, your coworkers become your family and friends. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

At the corporate level they seem to be a little greedy.

Offer more permanent jobs for your temporary, contract, and intern employees.

Federal-Mogul Photos