Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Reviews

4.5
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas President and CEO Richard W. Fisher
Richard W. Fisher

1. Featured Review

Great place to work, wonderful benefits, and strong outlook for the future.

Current Employee - Sr. Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sr. Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am going on 5 years with this company. My background is in consulting and I never thought I would find an organization that would make me want to stay. Their retire benefits are amazing and after seeing how so many companies are taking such things away, the FRB of Dallas continues to hold on strong. I work with a great group of people, who are committed and highly skilled. The people are accepting and willing to help.

Cons

Corporate culture is different from many fast-moving consulting firms. Slow to change, but undersatnd the need.

2. Amazing people despite being quasi-gov't; good work-life balance with opportunities to become a "lifer" or a "launcher"

Current Employee - Economic Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Economic Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

There are high quality people that have an overarching public service bent. The Fed has a great community-oriented culture, and depending on your role, you could work with some of the smartest people you've ever met! Colleagues are typically very helpful, and nearly everyone is very kind and accommodating toward a common goal of business excellence. I work in Research, so the behind-the-scenes due diligence in support of the nation's monetary policy decisions is fascinating, intellectually stimulating, and, in a way, very meaningful work for the public good. The economists and analysts share this sense of doing their very best so the nation's monetary conditions are optimal for price stability and full employment. It's been a very fulfilling start to my career at the Dallas Fed.

Cons

Although there are some really driven people ("launchers"), many are on a "lifers" track and the dynamic can be interesting at times. The quasi-gov't role of the Fed system means the institution can be reluctant to change, but if you have high conviction and the perseverance to make it happen, you can push through at the Dallas Fed. Compensation is below market, but the Fed balances this with above average benefits and a good work-life balance.

Performance reviews could be better. I've sensed management is stretched a little thin and constructive criticism is hard work, so they tend not to use these tool for development in the most effective way.

3. Internal Audit

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for the Fed is interesting, intense, purpose driven, high controls culture, and the salary and benefits are competitive that includes a pension. The people that work at the Fed have become more and more very well educated with many having masters degrees from first line universities and staff are from all over the world.

Cons

The culture is intense to the point of being stifling at times. If you are interested in a hip, fun, highly innovative place to work, the Fed is not your gig. There is a culture of zero errors is to the point of over doing exactness on things that do not matter. The tenure club starts at 25 years of service. Steady focus on the long term. I am speaking about the Fed district banks and not the Board of Governors where the Fed Chairman (Janet Yellen) works.

5. application developer (java developer)

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas

Pros

Secure and stable working environment.

Cons

downtown commute is horrible sometimes

6. Project Analyst

Current Employee - Project Management
    Current Employee - Project Management

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas (more than a year)

Pros

The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas affords employees ample latitude to develop their skills and be the best at their jobs, through both internal and external training.
    Diversity of opinion is welcomed at the Federal Reserve Bank, which encourages emloyees to make valuable contributions to its operatons.

Cons

There are none at this time.

None at this time.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Information Technology in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

smart nice people And good work life balance

Cons

not always on cutting edge

keep up the good work

8. Good place to work

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas

Pros

Great way to gain experience in the field. Practical application of economics.

Cons

Either have no work to do or you are swamped

9. It was a good experience

Former Employee - Procurement Sourcing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement Sourcing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good collaboration; good support from senior management.

Cons

Higher level people will not associate with lower level personnel.

If You are going to lay someone off ... first, give the employees a change to rectify the issues (assuming they tell you what the issue is) and allow for corrective action.

10. Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Technology Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow. Training is readily available

Cons

Base compensation is low but benefit may help offset.

11. Positive Experience

Former Employee - Associate Bank Examiner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Bank Examiner in Dallas, TX

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long term benefits from working as an Examiner at the Federal Reserve are enormous. Definitely get an edge up.

Cons

Very hierarchical structure. Communication to employees is minimal and on a need-to-know basis. Very political (office politics) organization - more so than others I've experienced. Salary is low in relation to the expectations of the position and in comparison to the FDIC and OCC. Despite having the resources, the technology of the Fed was substantially behind its peers.

None