Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

Be The First To
Add Photos

Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City President and CEO Tom Hoenig

Tom Hoenig

It is awesome place to work

Prosexcellent benefits and the opportunity for advancement.

Conspromotion advancement and policies changing consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on training employees on job requirements

A disservice to the public

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood benefits, nice cafeteria -- and if you like people who are sheltered, parochial, socially conservative and in some cases back-stabbing, you'll be glad you signed on.

ConsThe President of the Kansas City Fed is completely out of her depth when it comes to monetary policy or any real understanding of economics - but has sought to make up for this by listening to a lot of bankers and a lot of Republicans. (Previously, she was one of the regulators who failed to regulate our banking system properly over the past decade; and then she suddenly became a monetary policy authority without the most fundamental qualifications.) As a result, she makes her decisions about how to steer the U.S. economy as if she is a person who has no direct, real-life comprehension of the lives of the poor, the unemployed, the underpaid, and the financially precarious. The bankers and free-market economists who inhabit the institution have no understanding of the proper public role they are supposed to be serving: not for the 1%; but for the 99%.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're nice people but you're not serving your country well. Fire yourselves, contribute your salaries to homeless shelters and join the peace corps.

A lot of travel

ProsGood benefits and a decent 401k plan. Generally when traveling will stay at nice hotels.

ConsManagement is very rigid and does not encourage teamwork. The organization is VERY bureaucratic and extremely stiff. Getting or giving feedback is very impersonal and seems more critical than helpful. The amount of travel is extensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your workers to do the job right and stop being so critical about everything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, laid back experience as an intern at Denver Branch

Intern (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat staff, very friendly. Cheap food for lunch. I worked here as an intern for a summer, and I had a very good relationship with my boss and coworkers. The atmosphere is laid back. Great Denver location, right on 16th Street.

ConsTerrible technology. There is considerable bureaucracy, and projects that feel simple take forever to get done. There is constant exchange between the offices, so you will be on the phone often. Fed is totally unwilling to take risks or try new things.

Great Company

ProsThrift Plan,Health Insurance,Work/Life Balance. Always opportunites to advance and they will pay for schooling. Overall a pleasant place to work.

ConsPolitics can be confusing. Also Management can be quite young sometimes, meaning they can be inexperienced. No other cons that I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Silo management culture with no interest in giving opportunities to hard-working, worthy and motivated employees.

Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsBenefits of comprehensive insurance plan, education reimbursement, and job security.

ConsDiscouraging for employees who want to express ideas. Projects move at a snails pace. Most employees start as college graduates and stay for benefits until 5 year anniversary when they are 100% vested. The employees that remain past five years just sit in the same position and no motivation to move elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and listen to the signals from the employee survey. While it is good for the FRB to move slowly with the type of organization they are (reflects stability), there are great innovative ideas that are squelched to keep people from stirring up anything that isn't status quo.

Great people, good leadership.

ProsWork life balance as well as training.

ConsLow salary potential and little influence over placement.

Internal Auditor

Internal Auditor (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits are phenomenal! Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), pension, fitness center, cafeteria, game room, just to name a few. The employees at the FRB are some of the best people I have ever worked with. Management does not micromanage you to death. Great work/life balance. Great opportunities to climb the ladder or transfer to other departments. It is a prestigious place to work.

ConsPay is below market, however management is taking steps to correct this. I do not have much to complain about.

Great training and friendly coworkers

Intern (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe bank provides lots of training opportunities and has a very good culture. Great proximity to the downtown area and great benefits.

ConsThere is an extremely high level of bureaucracy, not that this should come as a surprise to a quasi-governmental agency. Pay isn't extremely high.

Upward mobility futile unless you are hired into the mamangement career track.

ProsBenefits are good. Great co-workers. The pay is competitive.

ConsNo upward mobility or career potential unless you are hired into the management career track.
    There is a great divide between workers and management which creates a feeling of distrust
    Work life balance (depending on department) is inadequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay for a person to get a degree, why don't you utilize their education.

Worked for Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City? Contribute to the Community!