Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

Tom Hoenig

Good, laid back experience as an intern at Denver Branch

Intern (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat staff, very friendly. Cheap food for lunch. I worked here as an intern for a summer, and I had a very good relationship with my boss and coworkers. The atmosphere is laid back. Great Denver location, right on 16th Street.

ConsTerrible technology. There is considerable bureaucracy, and projects that feel simple take forever to get done. There is constant exchange between the offices, so you will be on the phone often. Fed is totally unwilling to take risks or try new things.

Great Company

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

ProsThrift Plan,Health Insurance,Work/Life Balance. Always opportunites to advance and they will pay for schooling. Overall a pleasant place to work.

ConsPolitics can be confusing. Also Management can be quite young sometimes, meaning they can be inexperienced. No other cons that I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Silo management culture with no interest in giving opportunities to hard-working, worthy and motivated employees.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits of comprehensive insurance plan, education reimbursement, and job security.

ConsDiscouraging for employees who want to express ideas. Projects move at a snails pace. Most employees start as college graduates and stay for benefits until 5 year anniversary when they are 100% vested. The employees that remain past five years just sit in the same position and no motivation to move elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and listen to the signals from the employee survey. While it is good for the FRB to move slowly with the type of organization they are (reflects stability), there are great innovative ideas that are squelched to keep people from stirring up anything that isn't status quo.

Great people, good leadership.

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

ProsWork life balance as well as training.

ConsLow salary potential and little influence over placement.

Internal Auditor

Internal Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are phenomenal! Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), pension, fitness center, cafeteria, game room, just to name a few. The employees at the FRB are some of the best people I have ever worked with. Management does not micromanage you to death. Great work/life balance. Great opportunities to climb the ladder or transfer to other departments. It is a prestigious place to work.

ConsPay is below market, however management is taking steps to correct this. I do not have much to complain about.

Great training and friendly coworkers

Intern (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

ProsThe bank provides lots of training opportunities and has a very good culture. Great proximity to the downtown area and great benefits.

ConsThere is an extremely high level of bureaucracy, not that this should come as a surprise to a quasi-governmental agency. Pay isn't extremely high.

Upward mobility futile unless you are hired into the mamangement career track.

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are good. Great co-workers. The pay is competitive.

ConsNo upward mobility or career potential unless you are hired into the management career track.
There is a great divide between workers and management which creates a feeling of distrust
Work life balance (depending on department) is inadequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay for a person to get a degree, why don't you utilize their education.

Great organization outside of IT

Technology Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent benefits
-Very mature HR organization that supports it's employees
-Tons of training opportunities both for managers and technologists

Cons-Work/Life balance is not in favor of the employee within application development with many resources working 60+ hours per week on average
-Very Immature processes and procedures related to development , project management methodology & quality assurance
-Large number of management and senior management resources lack real world IT and application development experience having come from facilities, Supervision & Regulation and other non IT organizations resulting in a lack of vision & applied knowedge
-Application development projects regularly encounter issues with running over budget, missing go live dates and general stability and quality issues
-High percentage of redundant applications across the Federal Reserve
- Business problems are not presented to the IT organization to solve. The business works to resolve their own issues and brings in IT to assist with roll out as opposed to allowing IT to serve as a partner due to lack of trust
-Constant reorganizations with resources having had 9 managers in a 15 month period that speaks clearly to the lack of vision

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in an outside firm to analyze your IT department to better serve the organization and the public that trusts in you.

Opportunity for advancement and minimal risk of layoffs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe supervisors were experienced at their jobs, open to new ideas or suggestions. The co-workers were friendly and helpful to new employees. The pay was competitive but the benefits were outstanding (especially health insurance). There is also an on-site cafeteria which has a large variety of options, in particular, healthy choices.

ConsNew employees are put on a waiting list for parking. Until your name reaches the top of list, you must park in the open on the roof and pay the same monthly rate as employees who are able to park in covered spots. Not much fun in the winter or summer weather in KC.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend provide more opportunities for input from staff at all levels.

Moving forward...but slowly

Assistant Bank Examiner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time

ProsDecent salary, good benefits. Capable colleagues with wide ranging experience.

ConsWork/life balance. Work from home is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider flexible work arrangements/telecommuting options for those that don't HAVE to be in the office every day.

Worked for Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City CEO Tom Hoenig. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City employees.