Federated Insurance Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Jeffrey E. Fetters

Pros
  • Great training program, family atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the best training in the industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will always be from a marketing/sales side of the company (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time

Pros

Financially strong company. Values their employees. Great CEO. The culture is one of belonging and acceptance . . . we call it the Federated family. Great benefits. Good work / life balance and Owatonna is a great place to raise a family.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, especially for women. Executive and senior leadership are all white males. I believe they recognize this issue and are working to address it but change takes time. Behind in technology, especially when it comes to tools for our clients.

Advice to Management

Our customer base and their expectations are changing and we need pick up the pace from a technology perspective or I fear we are going to slowly bleed to death.

2. Marketing Representative

Pros

One of the best training programs, everyone in the insurance industry knows the level of training all marketing reps have gone through. Great long term financial reward

Cons

You are on the road all the time and you sometimes feel like it is just you out there.

3. Marketing Development Trainee

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best opportunity out there to learn all about the world of Commercial Insurance. This program is absolutely outstanding. The training staff is extremely knowledgeable as it is mostly comprised of former successful reps or managers. Best of all, the time spent in Owatonna is FUN. If you are lucky enough to be hired, you'll get along well with everyone in your training class because they are going to be exactly like you.

Cons

The 7am-4pm and Owatonna are the only real downfalls to this. Both temporary

Advice to Management

Consider restructuring phase 1 as phase 1 could easily be incorporated into phase 2.

5. Tough to be successful here!

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Great training program, they give you all the tools to succeed.

Cons

Horrible pay, long hours. They billed the position up to be a long career, however they burn you out. If you don't sale life you will be done. Your success will depend on underwriting...they are the ones pricing out all quotes and are much higher then all competitors.

Advice to Management

Underwriting needs to be more competitive in pricing.

6. District Marketing Manager

Current Employee - District Marketing Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - District Marketing Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great direction by leadership and I get the flexibility to basically run my own business. The autonomy and purpose is very rewarding.

Cons

We aren't as far with technology as we could be right now. It will be here soon but the wait has been awhile.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it is working!

7. sales

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

STRONG REPUTATION, TRAINING, RETIREMENT BENEFITS

Cons

Aggressive renewal strategies, reluctant to change, top management stagnant in their view of future

Marketing Rep

Current Employee - Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative

Pros

Flexibility is huge , benefits, earning potential, great people, training, stable, great for fresh graduates and sales people making less than 60k who want a change. They truly do promote only from within, just sell a lot of life insurance or you are out !

Cons

They make you drink the kool aid by the gallons here!! The adds out there and materials saying the average rep makes 165k are skewed. Also Salary being 100k for the currently posted Wisconsin openings are untrue , I am not sure how they can even post that. The salary is 50k plus commission do you really think the average rep makes 100k commission?? The average rep in certain areas where they are expanding will make great money due to low rates, ask to see what the reps in the area you are applying for make. They have a report that comes out every month showing all the reps in the district ask to see it and you get the real numbers . There are reps making high six figures that throw off the scales for the whole country, and new reps in expansion areas make the real money not in established areas. If you are not excited about selling 40k a year in life insurance you will fail, if you don't meet life insurance sales goals you will be need a new job in 2 years.

Advice to Management

upper management has been out of the field so long they don't have a clue what the real challenges are anymore.

9. Great place to work

Pros

Strong salary and benefits Flexible schedule Uncapped commission Growth opportunity

Cons

will not be the right fit for everyone

Advice to Management

None

10. Marketing Representative

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training and support. Excellent for learning the industry and honing skills. Sales incentives are nice and unlimited earning potential is there (kind of).

Cons

Limited market which leads to limited opportunity in certain areas (look for turnover). High end value oriented which means your prices are higher than everyone. This is not a good scenario when businesses are not flourishing do to economic pressure. Corporate attitude is a bit greedy towards the customer - will max out debits to get more premium on loyal accounts regardless of any claims history (I saw 30% - 75% increases at times on accounts with zero claims). The health insurance is absolutely horrible in some areas. Basically self insured with a card that says you have coverage (not in all states). The expense reimbursement program is a sham. They take money from your regular pay and force you to fill out reimbursement forms to get it back. If you don't have enough expenses then you LOSE your money! It forces people to LIE on their forms so then can get their own money back. It benefits the corporation so they do it anyway. TONS of pressure to sell life and disability insurance. It became the primary focus for most of the year and was very stressful.

Advice to Management

Don't be so greedy. Allow more premium flexibility so marketers can build a sustainable base for a long career. I earned more than 7 top incentive trips and was a leader in the company but 2 years of hard core underwriting and greedy behavior drove off my base and it became a $50k per yr job with angry prospects. Not a good recipe for long term success.

11. Marketing/Sales

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, company tries to make you feel part of a team. Tend to send marketing reps gifts for special events while you are new.

Cons

Company is quick to let you go if you fall short on a quota. Mgmt. doesn't push additional training, tend to think this is an advantage to you if you quit.

RSS Feed </> Embed