Federated Insurance

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.6

Jeffrey E. Fetters

Great company and great people.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very conservative company. They will be around and remain a strong company for many years.

Cons

You have to stay here earning a slightly below average salary to get the benefit of the vesting and company funded retirement.

Stay the course

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company invests a lot in your personal and professional growth. Benefits are very good!

Cons

Culture may be a little resistant to change.

None

Former risk consultant

Former Employee - Risk Consultant
    Former Employee - Risk Consultant

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They had wonderful training program for inexperienced new employees (from what I understand this has been disbanded in the past year) They have clear expectations for production.

Cons

They have let go half of their Field Services Department and that has caused larger territories with more production expectations on all consultants. With the layoff of experienced employees, some close to retirement, their loyalty to employees is questionable.

Raise salaries to industry standards, keep a consistent marketing plan, and reduce territory sizes. A former Risk Consultant should be in upper management to advocate for employees.

Great culture!

Former Employee - Field Services in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Field Services in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is engaging and takes the time to know you as a person. The training program is excellent!

Cons

Federated has a long formal hiring process.

It was a pleasure working for you!

Always high in price, very little supervision or support

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Little supervision, good pay, this is a strong company, with good leadership at times

Cons

The way they pay you does not make you feel like you make the amount of money they tell you you're making. The 2 week program holds you at a huge disadvantage, you learn as you go which puts you in awkward positions and leaves you floating with no answers at times. This job will take you years to get in the door with larger accounts. Boring and lonely at times, you need to be passionate about insurance to get involved here.

Need to be easily accessible and welcome to answering even the questions that you think employees should know, because the training is not that great unless you go through the 9 month training.

Good Experience

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time

Pros

Promoted within and descent salary/bonus structure and training was good.

Cons

Too much emphasis on life insurance, changed from a long term career organization to turnover driven cost reduction process.

Company gives back what you are willing to put in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Private Learning Center that provides resources for future advancement
    * Private Gym & Fitness Classes
    * Provides a respectful work environment that cultivates team work and interdependence
    * New executive management willing to "think outside the box"

Cons

* Located in a small town so there is not much room for advancement unless others retire or you are willing to relocate
    * Some long time standing management heads can be set in their "old ways" of thinking and management
    * Have experience micro-managing in other departments worked in the past

Your doing a great job! Keep freshening things up and thinking "outside the box". Federated is a great place to work for and I have enjoyed my time working for this company. You get back what you put in!

Great fit for young and hungry. Great training ground. Long term?..........Meh

Former Employee - Marketing Representative/District Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative/District Manager

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am primarily speaking as a sales person. I am now an independent agent/owner but worked in sales and as a mgr at Federated.

Federated was a GREAT opportunity for me and my family. I knew right away that the position wasn't for everyone but that it was a great fit for me at the time because I was hungry and motivated and that it would be a great start in the insurance business.

There is no other training ground like this one. Not even close. That was one of the most attractive things for me. I knew that even if it didn't work out with the company long term, that I would be marketable for the rest of my career based on the training I had received.

Even to this day, as an independent agent, when I talk to reps from other carriers, they know all about Federated's training AND just as important, that Federated tries to only hire A+ people. (It's helped us gain several contracts with carriers that might not otherwise have worked with us)

It is very difficult to get hired there. this is another reason for their success. Your peers are generally the "best of the best".

As a young person, willing to work hard, there aren't many opportunities to make this kind of money at that early in your career. One of the "issues" is that it is difficult every year to maintain the success and many become burned out. If you don't sell life insurance, you are considered a failure and will be weeded out. You also you hear "no" more than most insurance jobs (in particular when you are considered one of the best in you field compared to the people you compete against). it can be pretty demoralizing. Especially in some territories, which can be "beaten up" pretty badly over the years due to rep turn over and/or lack of prospects in Federated's wheel house or lack of competitiveness. All of this weighs on you.

One of the issues they face is keeping people after the first 4 or 5 years. They can go elsewhere and maybe make close to or more or even MUCH, MUCH more $ and you don't start at zero each year (in regards to goals) At least not to the extent that Federated does.

One of the biggest issues to look at would be the territory that you take. There are some real dogs. there are some great ones too. It's probably kind of hard for an outsider to know which is which coming in. Federated paints a great picture of every opportunity.

The pension, which is unheard of by most companies today, is extremely attractive but sadly, most of the best people either leave before they can attain it or they move into the home office in another, less stressful role.

There definitely is some cronyism within the company. Probably not unlike many other companies but this is a relatively small company so it tends to stand out front and center. You really see that first hand once you move into mgmt. For me, that was a huge turnoff and one of the reasons I fell out of love with the company. I know that is not uncommon though for companies. It's a reality

Cons

There are negative experiences for many that have worked there just as there are postives. We can say that for just about any company though, right?

Federated is set in their ways and they have had great success because of it but they do lose some good people because of their stubbornness as well. I'm sure they can point to their overall company success and say "our way works". And....they are right. It has worked.

This is NOT the job (talking sales) for lazy, thin skinned or unmotivated people. To succeed, you WILL work and you will work hard. probably harder than you ever have or will. Expectations are extremely high. Closing ratios are generally pretty low too. So you do hear "no" a lot. From both the underwriters and the customers. There are times when you will work hours upon hours for one little deal that might make you a few hundred dollars (or you might not get it at all) and years later you will look back and laugh as today, you wouldn't waste your time on something like that. However, to succeed at Federated, you HAVE to close those little deals to get your numbers. It's kind of a big game at times. You have to be a "stat sheet stuffer" sometimes.

There is a great deal of micro management from the very top all the way down to the front line. Amazing amount of that goes on. But again, it's workedfor them, but again, it turns off some.

Can you make it as a career sales person there? I have to say that very, very few people can and very, very few are anymore. It's not the same job that it was 15-20 years ago. Their sales force has a ton of old vets and a ton of brand new people. Very few in between and I just don't' see that changing. In fact, I think Federated has come to the conclusion that it's simply going to be that way and they are doing well as a whole, so just deal with it and live with it? I think that attitude really hurts some areas of the country that they are in and their reputation lags because of it.

It will be interesting to see where they are in 10-20 years. The old guys will be gone. Will Federated just be an organization of 24-30 year old sales people and few staying in the field long enough to retire there? In the future, I just don't see that job being attractive to the 40 year old and older person with the newer breed of person that is coming down the pike. There isn't the loyalty or committment there any longer

Keep making money. My small pension is relying on you! :) Seriously though. Find a mix of the old way and the new. I hope you have found a way to bridge the age and experience issue.

I think the Federated concept is very solid and they have the best intentions but can be brutal on those people that don't perform.

Don't think you are so "cutting edge" because your really are not. Your stubborness and inability to sometimes listen to the field and react to the market (yeah, yeah.....you are always profitable) hurts your people.

But, a certain segment of your people will continue to kiss the ring and tell you how great what you are doing is and you will lap it up. Remember, those telling you how great you are, are usually doing so out of self preservation or advancement. Listen to the little guys in the trenches. Not just your big hitters.

One tough job

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and they give you plenty of leads on businesses to quote

Cons

You are given all the resources to quote accounts but lack being competitive in pricing (25% high minimum most of the time). No personal life if you are doing what you are suppose to in order to stay on top of the work load.

Find a better way to manage workload on sales reps. It is a six and a half day a week job.

Old timers

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training program, family atmosphere. Good town to raise a family (Owatonna). A lot of nepotism and cronyism (positive if you are a Buxton).

Cons

Old boy network, Jack Welch management model (get rid of bottom performing 20% of employees whether warranted or not). Limited fresh ideas, co-signers in upper management. Limited promotion ops and functions on lower end of pay range. Manages by intimidation.

Fresh ideas and fresh upper management.

Federated Insurance Photos