Federated Insurance

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.5

Jeffrey E. Fetters

Great commissions but terrible management. Idiots

Former Employee - Marketing Representative  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Commissions were great but too much emphasis is put on life insurance

Cons

Too many management levels. Pushing paper and doing reports does not make anyone happy or make anyone money. Some programs will not work so stop trying

Hire management from outside the company. Don't just fill spot with a warm body. Managers are idiots

Great Employer!

Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

They hire with the desire that you will become part of the "family" and everyone is treated with respect. If you are looking for a company where you can make friends and no become another cog in the works...this is the place for you.

Cons

The company is still very small...so if you are young and looking for a wide variety of opportunities and locations to move and work in than this probably is not the best place for you. They also take allot of breaks for ice cream socials, apple pie day, etc. so if you are not in to being very social, stay away because you will not fit in (this can also be a pro if you are a social person).

None, there company model is terrific. This is probably the absolute perfect company if not that it is too small for me and I decided not to work in the insurance industry...not my cup of tea.

Review

Former Employee - Regional Risk Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Risk Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

opportunity for growth, good training program, company car, good benefits with funded penson. Lots of field support when needed. annual reviews.

Cons

New management is hard to work with. mean to new employees and tough standards to follow for some. I wouldnt recomment this comany anymore

Need to lay off new employees to the field a bit and provide more feedback that is positive. More field rides.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VERY conservative culture where everyone moves at the same pace

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with for the most part. I have made many friends at Federated. Also, their benefits package is very good.

Cons

The conservative culture is terrible. Business casual dress I can deal with but I feel like it is "big brother" out there. I've never missed a deadline and yet I leave 5 minutes early for break and get asked about it. Oh, did I mention I also put in overtime to make sure the job gets done when they need to? Yea, that they are ok with but not when you take an extra 5 minutes to get your head on straight. Also, everyone moves at the same pace when it comes to promotions and advancement. The opportunity to really move upward doesn't exist whether you are 10 times better or 10 times worse than the person sitting next to you.

Don't look so much at the number of hours someone works but look at the work the person is completing. I may only work an average of 41-42 hours a week but at least all my work is getting done. Also, re-work your advancement opportunities so that you can give the really good workers at your company something to shoot for.

If you like claims, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Good management and promotions. Excellent pay and benefits. If you can stand being a claims adjuster, this is the company to work for. The company really does care for it's employees by offering excellent health care, competitive salaries, and good management. They also are very good about letting you take time off when needed. Federated Insurance is good about starting people in a training class where they teach you everything you need to know bout your chosen field. They really prepare you for working in the field offices and provide you continue support even when you are done with the class.

Cons

Working in insurance is tough. Everyone hates you and you have to deal with alot of conflict. The company is great but being a claims adjuster at any company is tough. Being a claims adjuster is very difficult because no one is ever happy and everyone hates you. This is the sole reason why I am going to change careers, it has nothing to do with the company. The biggest mistake Federated makes, is they only promote marketers to senior management. Which means the senior management of claims has no idea what it means to be a claims adjuster, so they can come up with some weird policies.

Need to promote claims people to upper management.

Good Opportunity for Young Aggressive Sales Professionals

Former Employee - Marketing Representative  in  Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Great Training, second to none when it comes to that. Good opportunity to work with Specialize Niches and have Trade Association recomendations. Good opportunity for upward mobility and to be honest, a good resume item. They have a proven track record of success and you can count on consistency in their training.

Cons

Direct Writer, so difficult to place business at times in a hardening insurance market. They have a tendency to mandate business practices to their clients often time alienating them. There is way.. way ...way too much pressure put on Life Insurance sales. Your worth as a MR is dictated by your Life sales.

More Communication, Better compensation for new hires. Less Repercussions for Not selling Life.

Federated Insurance is a great place to work

Current Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist  in  Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Federated Insurance has a wonderful training program for the positions they hire for. I am currently training for an Underwriting Support Specialist and it is a 4 month training process. A lot of the positions do require extensive training. They take pride in the services they provide and strive to recruit the "best of the best."

Cons

If you are not one for change Federated Insurance may not be the place for you. Federated is constantly changing to meet the needs of their consumers. Federated needs to change to conform to the demand of the community.

Keep up the great work!

Great Career, straight out of college

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Great People, Old School Values (that's a good thing)

Cons

Management positions will require extensive travel

Solid Foundation with unlimited growth potential

Current Employee - District Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - District Marketing Manager

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is defined by its culture and makes its employees feel like valued members of the team. Hard work=big success

Cons

to be truly successful, you must be willing to work much more than just 9-5

keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Lot of good people work at Federted. Company has good core mid western values that are felt throughout the company. Family environment is good for employees. Benefits are good and fair. Sales can be meet by doing the job asked. Have good support from mangement.

Cons

You have to work independently and be disciplined in how you approach the job. The time commitment on the front end will require a lot of hours yet it can payoff. This is not the job for anyone who wants to get rich quick or not willing to put in hours.

Simplifiy and rely on todays technology. Company seems to have old systems with little appetite to invest in new technology to help speed up processes.

Worked for Federated Insurance? Contribute to the Community!