Federated Insurance

www.federatedinsurance.com

Federated Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Jeffrey E. Fetters

VERY conservative culture where everyone moves at the same pace

Programmer (Current Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsCo-workers are great to work with for the most part. I have made many friends at Federated. Also, their benefits package is very good.

ConsThe conservative culture is terrible. Business casual dress I can deal with but I feel like it is "big brother" out there. I've never missed a deadline and yet I leave 5 minutes early for break and get asked about it. Oh, did I mention I also put in overtime to make sure the job gets done when they need to? Yea, that they are ok with but not when you take an extra 5 minutes to get your head on straight. Also, everyone moves at the same pace when it comes to promotions and advancement. The opportunity to really move upward doesn't exist whether you are 10 times better or 10 times worse than the person sitting next to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't look so much at the number of hours someone works but look at the work the person is completing. I may only work an average of 41-42 hours a week but at least all my work is getting done. Also, re-work your advancement opportunities so that you can give the really good workers at your company something to shoot for.

If you like claims, great company to work for.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood management and promotions. Excellent pay and benefits. If you can stand being a claims adjuster, this is the company to work for. The company really does care for it's employees by offering excellent health care, competitive salaries, and good management. They also are very good about letting you take time off when needed. Federated Insurance is good about starting people in a training class where they teach you everything you need to know bout your chosen field. They really prepare you for working in the field offices and provide you continue support even when you are done with the class.

ConsWorking in insurance is tough. Everyone hates you and you have to deal with alot of conflict. The company is great but being a claims adjuster at any company is tough. Being a claims adjuster is very difficult because no one is ever happy and everyone hates you. This is the sole reason why I am going to change careers, it has nothing to do with the company. The biggest mistake Federated makes, is they only promote marketers to senior management. Which means the senior management of claims has no idea what it means to be a claims adjuster, so they can come up with some weird policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to promote claims people to upper management.

Good Opportunity for Young Aggressive Sales Professionals

Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsGreat Training, second to none when it comes to that. Good opportunity to work with Specialize Niches and have Trade Association recomendations. Good opportunity for upward mobility and to be honest, a good resume item. They have a proven track record of success and you can count on consistency in their training.

ConsDirect Writer, so difficult to place business at times in a hardening insurance market. They have a tendency to mandate business practices to their clients often time alienating them. There is way.. way ...way too much pressure put on Life Insurance sales. Your worth as a MR is dictated by your Life sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Communication, Better compensation for new hires. Less Repercussions for Not selling Life.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Federated Insurance is a great place to work

Underwriting Support Specialist (Current Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsFederated Insurance has a wonderful training program for the positions they hire for. I am currently training for an Underwriting Support Specialist and it is a 4 month training process. A lot of the positions do require extensive training. They take pride in the services they provide and strive to recruit the "best of the best."

ConsIf you are not one for change Federated Insurance may not be the place for you. Federated is constantly changing to meet the needs of their consumers. Federated needs to change to conform to the demand of the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great Career, straight out of college

ProsGreat Benefits, Great People, Old School Values (that's a good thing)

ConsManagement positions will require extensive travel

Solid Foundation with unlimited growth potential

District Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is defined by its culture and makes its employees feel like valued members of the team. Hard work=big success

Consto be truly successful, you must be willing to work much more than just 9-5

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Great place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsLot of good people work at Federted. Company has good core mid western values that are felt throughout the company. Family environment is good for employees. Benefits are good and fair. Sales can be meet by doing the job asked. Have good support from mangement.

ConsYou have to work independently and be disciplined in how you approach the job. The time commitment on the front end will require a lot of hours yet it can payoff. This is not the job for anyone who wants to get rich quick or not willing to put in hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplifiy and rely on todays technology. Company seems to have old systems with little appetite to invest in new technology to help speed up processes.

Very Good Company

Risk Appraiser (Current Employee)

ProsWork/Life balance
    Set your own schedule
    Benefts

ConsPay increases are minimal
    Promotional Opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Work hard then harder. Its a good learning experience.

Risk Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Great training. Meet very interesting clients.

ConsWhatever you do is never enough. There is sometimes a disconnect and unrealistic expectations are set.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to understand that all territories aren't the same and other companies offer loss control services too.

A happy home for a workaholic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFederated has an excellent training program for marketerers, and do a good job at keeping their people up to speed. Employee benefit programs are exceptional, and those that can make it to retirement will be very comfortable.

ConsUpper management has become very inbred over the years, and the "good ol boy" system still is in place. Mr. Annexstead promoted his BFF to CEO, but remains behind the scenes making all major decisions. Many in senior management are talking the talk, but do not really have a clue about what is going on in the field. Way too much pressure to sell their profitable life insurance line, and that pressure can blur the line on ethics. Big life sales equals promotions, and many managers did not achieve success ethically.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for honest feedback in a "blind ballot" from employees, and then actually change based on their feedback. You would create greater employee production, happiness, and longevity.

Worked for Federated Insurance? Contribute to the Community!