Federated Insurance

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.7

Jeffrey E. Fetters

Great Career, straight out of college

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great People, Old School Values (that's a good thing)

Cons

Management positions will require extensive travel

Solid Foundation with unlimited growth potential

Current Employee - District Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - District Marketing Manager

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is defined by its culture and makes its employees feel like valued members of the team. Hard work=big success

Cons

to be truly successful, you must be willing to work much more than just 9-5

keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Lot of good people work at Federted. Company has good core mid western values that are felt throughout the company. Family environment is good for employees. Benefits are good and fair. Sales can be meet by doing the job asked. Have good support from mangement.

Cons

You have to work independently and be disciplined in how you approach the job. The time commitment on the front end will require a lot of hours yet it can payoff. This is not the job for anyone who wants to get rich quick or not willing to put in hours.

Simplifiy and rely on todays technology. Company seems to have old systems with little appetite to invest in new technology to help speed up processes.

Very Good Company

Current Employee - Risk Appraiser
    Current Employee - Risk Appraiser

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Set your own schedule
    Benefts

Cons

Pay increases are minimal
    Promotional Opportunities

None

Work hard then harder. Its a good learning experience.

Former Employee - Risk Consultant
    Former Employee - Risk Consultant

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Good pay. Great training. Meet very interesting clients.

Cons

Whatever you do is never enough. There is sometimes a disconnect and unrealistic expectations are set.

You need to understand that all territories aren't the same and other companies offer loss control services too.

A happy home for a workaholic.

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Federated has an excellent training program for marketerers, and do a good job at keeping their people up to speed. Employee benefit programs are exceptional, and those that can make it to retirement will be very comfortable.

Cons

Upper management has become very inbred over the years, and the "good ol boy" system still is in place. Mr. Annexstead promoted his BFF to CEO, but remains behind the scenes making all major decisions. Many in senior management are talking the talk, but do not really have a clue about what is going on in the field. Way too much pressure to sell their profitable life insurance line, and that pressure can blur the line on ethics. Big life sales equals promotions, and many managers did not achieve success ethically.

Ask for honest feedback in a "blind ballot" from employees, and then actually change based on their feedback. You would create greater employee production, happiness, and longevity.

Great Training-excellent opportunity for young professionals. Management is out of touch with day to day field ops.

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Excellent training program. Provides a great foundation for an excellent career within the insurance industry.

Cons

A lot of emphasis on life insurance sales. Management is not realistic with majority of goals. As a sales representative, you must be borderline unethical to meet requirements.

If I had a better opportunity, I would take it.

Current Employee - Claims Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Representative

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Once you have experience in the insurance industry it is very easy to get another job in the insurance industry. Many of the skills apply to other jobs as well.

Cons

The biggest con was I felt there was a lot of favoritism that went on. I received only positive feedback from supervisors but was passed over for promotions more than once by those who had less experience and were working fewer hours.

It seemed like they catered to those who talked the talk but did not walk the walk.

Less favoritism, more attention to what people are actually doing rather than what they say they are doing.

Federated is a solid, value driven company that allows a good marketing professional unlimited success.

Current Employee - Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

By far the best training in the insurance industry. You will know more about insurance and selling insurance than any competitor you come accross. Very financially rewarding if you follow their business plan. The company always does the right thing. No gray areas there.

Cons

Federated is a mutl-line direct writer of insurance. If you cannot or will not sell life insurance, they will get rid of you.

I used to think I had advice for them. But now, after being gone for a few years and having seen how well they have thrived during this financial crisis, I must say they know what they're doing. If I went back there, I would simply get behind the leadership and follow the business plan.

Federated is a great, financially stable company to work for.

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

The pay is good. I worked out of home so you have the freedom to schedule your days. A lot of long hours and hard work. Must be motivated and a leader.

Cons

May not be a great fit for everyone. You work out of home and see different clients all day.

Leadership is very positive and welcoming. They have all started at the bottom and worked their way up through the company- "they have been there."

Federated Insurance Photos