Federated Insurance Reviews

Reset

1. Old timers

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training program, family atmosphere. Good town to raise a family (Owatonna). A lot of nepotism and cronyism (positive if you are a Buxton).

Cons

Old boy network, Jack Welch management model (get rid of bottom performing 20% of employees whether warranted or not). Limited fresh ideas, co-signers in upper management. Limited promotion ops and functions on lower end of pay range. Manages by intimidation.

Advice to Management

Fresh ideas and fresh upper management.

2. Used to be a better place to work

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fully funded pension, some good benefits, depending on which program you are hired under you could have very good training, new CEO that came on board is more realistic when it comes to company spending and company goals and has been at the company over 30 years

Cons

Does not value their employees - treats them as a commodity. Health insurance benefits are substandard and the employee health insurance program doesn't cover a lot. Slow to make changes, upper management continually says they like to "think inside the box". Pay is slightly below industry average, benefits really lack compared to the industry or companies of this size. Very conservative values that, for a lack of a better way to put it, are good ol' boy ways. Their actions make it seem like the company is headed for a bad financial outlook.

Advice to Management

Instead of saying "people, people, people", act on it and treat employees like you actually value what they do for you.

3. Friendly Office Environment

Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Fair Salary, Excellent Management, Friendly Coworkers

Cons

Location on westside isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Management has excellent communication with employees, always worked towards positive solutions for everyone.

5. Great Company but you have to be 100% committed or you will fail

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The have the best training in the industry hand down. Starting Salary for a Marketing Rep is amazing for someone just out of college. The benefits and retirement package are top notch. The invest a lot of money in their employees and do not want to see you fail. The have industry recommendations which definitely give you a foot in the door when cold calling and cultivating prospects. I very much enjoyed my management and the people I worked with in my District. They have wonderful incentives trips to Hawaii/Australia, cruises, etc.

Cons

They have some out of date practice. They are slow to change. Unfortunately, being a direct writer underwriting has all the control. Federated's underwriting standards and documents required just to quote is absolutely over kill and scares a lot of prospects. Our rates were out of the ball game 19/20 times. The have been giving large increases on customers that have been with us for 10+ years with no claims. Like I said you have to be completely committed to sales and insurance, if you have any reservations do not take the job. If you go through the longer training program you have no certainty of where you will be placed. I was hired out of one city and was put in a city over 3 hours from where I initially thought I would be hired, killed my motivation a little right there.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, use technology better. Trust the marketing reps a little more and you will be much more profitable. Get rid of the old laptops and move to tablets it will be much more effective for your reps.

Very poor place to work!

Former Employee - Claims in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Claims in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many very excellent employees - small town atmospere - great town to raise kids. Good (not great)benefit package overall.

Cons

Culture is toxic - leadership is by fear and intimidation rather than by inspiration. There is no opportunity to rise to the senior management level for Underwriters, Claims Adjusters, HR, IT, Loss Control etc... as all major functions are headed by a Marketer or former Marketer. Employee's are viewed as a liability vs. an asset even though lip service is give to the latter concept. No true innovation is possible as senior managemt will broker no opinions or views different than their own - their attitude is "my way or the highway" (and they mean it!). Very poor communication from the top - no accountability to the owners of this "Mutual Company" who are the policyholders. While starting pay is on par with the competition, salary increases are difficult to obtain and measly at best. Bonus' are very small for this wealthy of a company except to a very few (senior management and a select few favorites). Lot's of cronyism and favortism - very much the typical "good old white boys club". In this organization, raises and promotions rely much more on "playing the game" and who you know than how hard you work or how good you are at your job. Performance evaluations are completed on the Jack Welch model (get rid of 10-20% each year) which is fine in a production setting where productivity is easily objectively measured, but does not work well in a company where most of the measurement is subjective (major catagories of the yearly performance review are "Passion" and "Energy" - how can you even begin to objectively measure that!). Managers of even the smallest units are forced to designate someone as "needs improvement" (a professional death sentence) without regard to whether that person exists or not.

Advice to Management

Internal company Board of Directors members should be replaced with external independent & objective members who will truly hold senior managment accountable and improve communications with the policyholders who "own" a mutual company as well as the employees. Add senior managment members from outside the organization to reduce cronyism and favortism and allow true innovation to ocur without fear of repercussion. Treat employee's as the "asset" they are instead of simply paying lip service to this concept.

7. Great commissions but terrible management. Idiots

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

Commissions were great but too much emphasis is put on life insurance

Cons

Too many management levels. Pushing paper and doing reports does not make anyone happy or make anyone money. Some programs will not work so stop trying

Advice to Management

Hire management from outside the company. Don't just fill spot with a warm body. Managers are idiots

8. Great Employer!

Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

They hire with the desire that you will become part of the "family" and everyone is treated with respect. If you are looking for a company where you can make friends and no become another cog in the works...this is the place for you.

Cons

The company is still very small...so if you are young and looking for a wide variety of opportunities and locations to move and work in than this probably is not the best place for you. They also take allot of breaks for ice cream socials, apple pie day, etc. so if you are not in to being very social, stay away because you will not fit in (this can also be a pro if you are a social person).

Advice to Management

None, there company model is terrific. This is probably the absolute perfect company if not that it is too small for me and I decided not to work in the insurance industry...not my cup of tea.

9. Review

Former Employee - Regional Risk Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Risk Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance

Pros

opportunity for growth, good training program, company car, good benefits with funded penson. Lots of field support when needed. annual reviews.

Cons

New management is hard to work with. mean to new employees and tough standards to follow for some. I wouldnt recomment this comany anymore

Advice to Management

Need to lay off new employees to the field a bit and provide more feedback that is positive. More field rides.

10. VERY conservative culture where everyone moves at the same pace

Current Employee - Programmer in Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with for the most part. I have made many friends at Federated. Also, their benefits package is very good.

Cons

The conservative culture is terrible. Business casual dress I can deal with but I feel like it is "big brother" out there. I've never missed a deadline and yet I leave 5 minutes early for break and get asked about it. Oh, did I mention I also put in overtime to make sure the job gets done when they need to? Yea, that they are ok with but not when you take an extra 5 minutes to get your head on straight. Also, everyone moves at the same pace when it comes to promotions and advancement. The opportunity to really move upward doesn't exist whether you are 10 times better or 10 times worse than the person sitting next to you.

Advice to Management

Don't look so much at the number of hours someone works but look at the work the person is completing. I may only work an average of 41-42 hours a week but at least all my work is getting done. Also, re-work your advancement opportunities so that you can give the really good workers at your company something to shoot for.

11. If you like claims, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Federated Insurance

Pros

Good management and promotions. Excellent pay and benefits. If you can stand being a claims adjuster, this is the company to work for. The company really does care for it's employees by offering excellent health care, competitive salaries, and good management. They also are very good about letting you take time off when needed. Federated Insurance is good about starting people in a training class where they teach you everything you need to know bout your chosen field. They really prepare you for working in the field offices and provide you continue support even when you are done with the class.

Cons

Working in insurance is tough. Everyone hates you and you have to deal with alot of conflict. The company is great but being a claims adjuster at any company is tough. Being a claims adjuster is very difficult because no one is ever happy and everyone hates you. This is the sole reason why I am going to change careers, it has nothing to do with the company. The biggest mistake Federated makes, is they only promote marketers to senior management. Which means the senior management of claims has no idea what it means to be a claims adjuster, so they can come up with some weird policies.

Advice to Management

Need to promote claims people to upper management.

RSS Feed </> Embed