Federated Investors

Be The First To
Add Photos

Federated Investors President, CEO, and Director J. Christopher Donahue

J. Christopher Donahue

Great work life balance, but sometimes a little slow in deploying technological changes

ProsGreat work environment. Most of the people are a pleasure to work for. Management truly understands the life/work balance that people seek and are very understanding when you need to either leave early to work remotely for a day.

ConsFrom an IT perspective they are a little slow in getting changes deployed. There is no true testing environment for some applications which makes it difficult to do parallel testing.

Great company to gain experience, but don't expect to advance to high quickly.

Product Performance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe company provides great stability and overall has a good work-life balance. They have good training and the people there are pretty easy to work with.

ConsIt is expensive having to wear suits all the time when the pay is most likely below average compared to other companies. If you are there for too long you become stagnant in your job and there is not as much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better growth opportunities especially for young talent.

Summer Intern Experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsVery professional work place.
    Well developed internship program
    Internship was paid.

ConsNo real cons. HR dept. is a bit slow in responding, but otherwise my experience was good.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MICROMANAGED!

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsJob security - at least I have a job?!?

ConsEVERYTHING is micromanaged! I receive more projects for the sole reason that management knows my coworkers are dropping the ball and I will actually get it done! No one is held accountable!

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable!

Competent technology department that values its employees and rewards with a true meritocracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pros"A" players are highly regarded and are given the appropriate level of responsibility. Leadership team is responsive to change, and overall pretty good work life balance. A great place to launch and develop a career...if you are good at your job and willing to put in the work.

ConsConservative dress code and culture is getting dated. Downtown location requires a full suit. Can be a somewhat stuffy place to work, but it's the financial sector so that is to be expected. Business side of the house is less of a meritocracy and more old school and tenure based.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be a more progressive-friendly company and you will retain more talent.

Needs new blood

Operations (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFlexible schedule, people that you work with tend to be nice

ConsSalary and advancement stagnant unless you play "the game", dress code outdated, too much nepotism, no incentive to further education because tuition reimbursement benefit outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people because they have been there long. Get rid of people who don't see a vision that requires change of everyday operations. Create structured training program that can provide career advancement. Offer better tuition reimbursement. Let go of the traditional dress code, especially since salary does not keep up with the cost of the type of clothing are requiring.

Bored software developer intern

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe employees were friendly and willing to help/mentor the interns. Also the company had monthly intern events over the summer.

ConsManagement was unorganized, little work was done or assigned to interns (although that seemed to also apply to full-time employees) and excessive time was spent in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to use scrum, unless you train your employees and explain why scrum is useful. Also have a better plan for what work needs to be done and by whom.

Steady place to work with decent pay

Intern (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsVery low turnover. There's a lot of people with many years under their belt at Federated. If you're looking for a steady job with decent pay then Federated is a great option.

ConsMoving up the ladder is hard. It could take a very long time to get promoted/become a manager. There really aren't any special incentives for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider better employee bonuses and rewards.

Great Experience as an Intern

Summer Inter (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey have a great culture and give you the opportunity to learn about the industry and product. I worked as an intern and was treated great by employees and management

ConsThere were not many cons to this job. It might be a little a little redundant, but that is to be expected with any job in sales. The goal is to use your time productively and generate business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest working closely with sales department and keeping them motivated by offering more goals and rewards.

Federated Investors is too old fashioned in their management style

Operations (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood team atmosphere in Operations group

ConsManagement at MDT Advisers seems apathetic, too pleased with themselves. Not much room for growth if you want to transition out of operations

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to lead better during tough times and raise company morale

Worked for Federated Investors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federated Investors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Federated Investors CEO J. Christopher Donahue. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Federated Investors employees.