Fedex Express

Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

Fedex Express President, CEO, and Director David J. Bronczek
David J. Bronczek

Pros
  • the benefits are absolutely incredible are really helpful for part time work (in 68 reviews)

• Good opportunity for part time work with great benefits and physically active (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Some full time jobs open up, but the more senior employees get first shot at those openings (in 40 reviews)

• 50 an hour and a mandatory minium of 22 hours a week for Part time handlers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great atmosphere, wonderful management

Former Employee - Part Time Courier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Part Time Courier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Fedex Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

OK so I was not here very long, so I will only wright about my station and not the company as a whole. I worked at the Pineville/Charlotte NC station. Everyone there was fantastic. Coworkers where friendly and management was knowledgable and helpful. Im am sure if I had stayed longer there would be plenty of things to gripe about, but I never got that far. I worked here for one week and left because I received an offer from another employer that I thought happen to fit me better. But the time I did have here was great. Yes I never got out of training but everyone I met was helpful and courteous. They pay was great, full benefits for part time. When I told my manager I was leaving after one week she understood and was legitimately happy for me. This could have been a great job, it just wasn't the best fit for me. The training I did have was great, I really felt I was adequately being prepared for the job, everyone seemed to really care about how I was doing.

Cons

I'm sure there would be plenty of cons if I had stayed longer but I never got to see them. Thats why I am only talking about my specific location.

Good company, great work experience, professional, interesting work, fast paced work for a fast paced company.

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Fedex Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great manager, flexible, awesome co-workers, provides training, benefits are exceptional, 401K plan, pension plan, excellent health insurance and provides for dental and vision options, work is interesting and you can make a real contribution. They continue to grow their business, creating new and innovative services to their portfolio while improving on existing ones. I had an incredible manager who was supportive. In addition the rest of his work group were top notch professionals, experts in their field, but helped each other to get the job done.

Cons

Fast paced work, short deadlines. I like this type of work but might be stressful for others

A company to work hard for

Current Employee - Package Handler
    Current Employee - Package Handler

I have been working at Fedex Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits such as $401K and access to the FedEx credit union which provides great options when it comes to finance. Ability to move up from handler to beyond.

Cons

Working during peak holiday season can be taxing. Sometimes those who do the least amount of work are not held accountable.

Good company, some policies incentivize a CYA posture

Current Employee - Part Time Courier
    Current Employee - Part Time Courier

I have been working at Fedex Express

Pros

Love being an instrumental part of business commerce and meeting other like minded people.

Cons

Taking direction from many chiefs, and not always on the same page.

Courier

Current Employee - Part Time Courier in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Courier in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Fedex Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, high pace work environment, and usually outgoing work environment.

Cons

Have to work for many years to get full time.

Start promoting not just with seniority but with work ethic. No longer a people company more focused on service than safety.

FedEx is becoming UPS

I have been working at Fedex Express

Pros

Stable employment if you do your job. There is no denying that in so many ways FedEx is still a great place to be working.

Cons

FedEx is becoming UPS; work / life balance becoming less and less of a part of the package according to a lot of Managers.

Strive to achieve work/life balance for yourselves and your employees.

Orderly Company

Current Employee - Package Handler in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Fedex Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits program, even for part time employees. Very orderly and structured management. Will provide equipment if needed.

Cons

Parking can be difficult and due to the shuttle system between the parking lot and the hub, employees should arrive to work extremely early just so they can clock in on time.

FedEx Aircraft Fleet Engineering, Memphis, TN

Former Employee - Avionics Design Engineer in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Avionics Design Engineer in Memphis, TN

I worked at Fedex Express as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

As a contractor, there are by nature very few benefits. Time off is pretty much the norm in the industry. Office culture is typically a cube environment, many of the direct employees are pretty good folks and decent engineers. They also have a pretty good cafeteria in the "Hub."

Cons

Contractors are pretty much treated as such with a few rude old timers thrown in. Contractors are usually not invited to company functions. Management has an occasionally serious common sense problem and tends to not listen to employee concerns, particularly contractors.

Listen to your people, even including contractors, as we have been around quite a few different employment scenarios and we do have some valuable experience and viewpoints.

Big company with a lot of changes

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Fedex Express

Pros

Some of the best people to work with that I have ever met

Cons

Getting big enough that they are afraid of lawsuits so the micromanaging has proceeded.

N/A

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fedex Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable no lay-offs in the US but that is not true internationally

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement into upper level management

The employees need the opportunity to be creative to change the rigid culture