Feed The Children

Updated December 9, 2014

Travis Arnold

Love Feed the Children

I have been working at Feed The Children

Pros

Feed the Children is a wonderful organization! They help kids in all 50 states and in 18 countries around the world. The new CEO Kevin Hagan is a good man and such a visionary! He looks out for the hourly employees especially. Just gave us a raise!

Cons

The organization has gone through a lot of transitions the past couple of years.

Keep on keeping on!

If you're looking to work for a professionally-run nonprofit, keep looking.

I worked at Feed The Children full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The mission, feeding hungry children, is meaningful.
    They do actually feed children and their community development programs create lasting change.
    Many people there believe in the mission and genuinely care about it.

Cons

The culture is oppressive, from their policies to their manner of interacting with employees.

The idea that "we're all adults" doesn't apply here. They treat their staff like children -- they expect the worst instead of the best, they're patronizing, and they do everything in their power to control all aspects of employee life (including most recently, telling staff that they cannot text coworkers anything personal at any time, work hours or not -- don't ask about hobbies, don't ask how your weekend was, nothing. They run the organization in a very secretive and fear-based manner.

Too many people there are only out for their own self interests. They will do anything to maintain or gain control over others or over work, including getting rid of hardworking enthusiastic people.

They claim to embrace change, challenge convention, value everyone, etc and they launched a new brand and values this year, but it's all lip service. The people who are living out the new brand values get penalized and/or fired.

They don't let OKC employees work flexible schedules even though many staff work remotely from other states.

Work-life balance is non-existent. They are stingy with comp time and other benefits, taking whatever they can get without much thanks.

They don't provide career development.

Either admit that you aren't actually ready to change, or get rid of the people holding you back. You know who they are.

Boss was a HR nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Feed The Children full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy helping others, but the man in charge of the warehouse made all the employees feel worthless.

Cons

The man in charge of the Feed The Children was rude to the volunteers, spoke to the employees as if they were children and was a huge micromanager, yet did nothing himself. His behavior made me question the morals of the organization.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Feed The Children full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people and a nice work environment.

Cons

Benefits too expensive for family

Get a better provider

meaningful, challenging work

I have been working at Feed The Children part-time

Pros

Great opportunities for personal growth while creating social change. HR is friendly and helpful, and my colleagues are hard-working and passionate. Feed The Children remains true to its values, which is important for making a difference in the world. Most innovative anti-hunger organization of its size. Fair benefits and compensation.

Cons

going through a transition

FTC Might be around in a few years........

I have been working at Feed The Children full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping hungry families. This is it! They do provide assistance to families and children in need. That is what you have to focus on. Management does a lot of wacky stuff.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they are doing. Donations are down. They are burning through cash reserves quite quickly. They are also spending money on non-essential improvements to the building. They have hired quite a few high dollar executives that have not an idea of what to do to get donations coming in. They do know how to spend money with outside vendors!

Hire an executive that will actually live in Oklahoma City. Many commute from out of state. This doesn't show commitment to the organization.

My experience at Feed the Children was an incredible one.

I worked at Feed The Children part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros of this job is that I knew that all the items that I packed in those boxes were going to go to families in need.

Cons

There are no downsides to it.

I have grown alot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Feed The Children

Pros

Flexiablity
    Great atmosphere - Christian based organization.
    Non for Profit making a difference in the world today. Very rewarding to know you have made a difference in a family or childs life.

Cons

Red tape - you have to go through alot to have things approved because it's a non for profit. HR is involved in alot of the organizations projects.

None to provide. I think they are on the right track. Keep up the good work. The employees love it here.

Need better management!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Feed The Children

Pros

Good to work for good cause.

Cons

Terrible training. Leadership micro manages all the way down the chain. Upper management was belittling to lower staff. No good feedback--ever!

Foster your employees. Let your people do what they were hired to do without constantly micromanaging them.