Feeding America Reviews

Updated June 10, 2014
Updated June 10, 2014

3.8

Bob Aiken

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Logistics  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics in Chicago, IL

I worked at Feeding America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture of this company is so great! It was a constant learning tree. I would definitely would like to be an employee again!

Cons

I believe the leadership was a little over their budget and planning at the time I was laid off.

Professional and Dedicated Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Feeding America as an intern

Pros

The atmosphere in this organization is more professional than other non-profits where I have worked. The atmosphere is friendly, but focused on work. Feeding America has also expanded its work from a focus on food banks as a response to food security to a more comprehensive set of policies and programs responding to hunger.

Cons

The staff here is over-represented by white females, which is also representative of the field. They could expand the diversity of their staff in both demographics and professional background.

Great Organization with a great Cause

I worked at Feeding America

Pros

Professional dedicated staff all working to eliminate their jobs one day. Great technology innovator to assist their member foodbanks with tracking, processing, shipping, and reporting on food distribution.

Cons

Solely relies on donations and government subsidies to operate. Hot projects today can lose donors interests and then get scrapped.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Employer, Team!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Feeding America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing place to work!

Cons

Work/Life balance was difficult, however senior management was aware of this and addressed it openly and provided resources and advice on how to manage.

Mission-driven organization with passionate employees

I worked at Feeding America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with passionate people and food bankers all around the country. Good PTO options.

Cons

Not much room for growth and a very top heavy organization even though lower level staff do have a lot of responsibilities. Can make work/life balance hard.

Continue recent focus on change culture of the organization so senior staff communicate across departments and with junior staff.

Excellent Community Program

I worked at Feeding America part-time

Pros

Helping those in need, what a gift!

Cons

None - excellent company with a fantastic mission.

Continue to develop community relationships.

People are truly valued and the mission is sincere and purposeful.

I have been working at Feeding America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional development and growth are emphasized and a true collaborative spirit! The mission and cause is the feed Americas hunger and no matter how you slice it that is a good thing. Feeding America is hundreds of times more efficient that government alone at solving hunger in the US.

Cons

Independent nature of the member network makes it sometimes difficult to accomplish all the goals.

Continue to educate the members and staff of the direction and future of the mission!

Positive and educational

Former Employee - Public Policy Intern In DC Office  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Public Policy Intern In DC Office in Washington, DC

I worked at Feeding America

Pros

Employees are young and passionate about what they do.

Cons

There is not much opportunity to be offered a job post- internship.

A fulfilling, mission-driven place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Feeding America

Pros

Bright and dedicated people. Respectful workplace. An important mission A driven executive team. Opportunities to take charge of your job and your role. Fulfilling work at the end of the day.

Cons

In a tough economy, non-profits are having more trouble than ever predicting cashflow, as the individuals and companies that support its work are themselves strapped for cash. This means that employees (like everywhere right now) are dealing with some uncertainty about job security.

Management should continue to be honest and forthright with employees, as they have been throughout the recession. New job candidates should also understand the risks associated with working at an organization like Feeding America.

A waste of several years

Former Employee - Highly Technical Non-management  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Highly Technical Non-management in Chicago, IL

I worked at Feeding America

Pros

Feeding hungry people - can’t argue with that. The day they show you the door (I hear) is extremely liberating; they mail your stuff to you so you don’t have to carry it home

Cons

I know a lot of people who either left (like myself) or were laid off; all of those who left, wish they had done so sooner, all of those who were laid off were initially very upset but are now glad to be gone. There are too many non-productive managers, too few actual workers. If you want to work for a company in a shaky financial position, in a degrading job that bears no resemblance to the one you were hired for, take a large cut in pay, work long hours and always worry if this is the day your key-card suddenly stops working, then this is the company for you.

Word gets around. When you get rid of good people that have been with the company for years and don’t even bother trying to find them a new place within the company those left behind start looking.

Worked for Feeding America? Contribute to the Community!