Feeney Wireless

Ethan Ralston

Oregon's happiest company's

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Brand recognition, leading industry technology, fun culture, pride in their products, competent executive leadership, good work-life balanse and a healthy team environment.

Cons

Top down communication can be a challenge in a rapidly growing company.

Continue to survey and respond to employee feedback. Continue doing all that you do so well.

Alright place to work, horrible place to make a career

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time

Pros

Feeney Wireless offers something like 3 or 4 weeks of PTO during the first year of employment, which is the most I've seen at a company where I've been employed.

For the most part, they hire people that are fun to work with.

Compared to the other cities I've lived and worked in, Eugene is a pretty cool place to live and work.

Cons

Management is very poor at planning. This has stood out more than anything during my time at Feeney Wireless. For instance, the company laid of 14 of its workforce back in July claiming that it had been planning the layoffs since early this year (is that good planning?), yet most of the people laid off were new hires within the last year, and one of which was a new hire of less than 2 weeks. They really screwed him over. And yet, a month and a half later they started hiring for most of the positions that they just got done laying off. Great planning!

Before I take a second to dig a little deeper into the management side of things, let me confess that I'm not in management (yes, you caught me), so this is strictly from the point of view of a non-management individual (management being VP+). Anyways, management, in general, seems to not really know a whole lot about what they are doing. They enjoy the power, but aren't any good at properly harnessing the responsibility. Now I don't want to go into nit picking each member of management, but I will say that the one good thing that has happened to management since I've been around is that they hired an actual CFO who has a background as a CFO and is good at being a CFO. Yes! Good job. And this being so good should tell you something about the rest of them. It creates a culture of 'us vs. them' and it is rather uncomfortable.

I'd also like to take a paragraph and talk about the revolving door at Feeney Wireless. People are constantly being hired to backfill people that have been fired or quit (more of the latter, lesser of two evils?). To put a number on it, last week alone saw the culmination of 3 peoples' 2 weeks notice and one new hire who didn't even last a week. On the bright side, its not every week that we see 4 people quit, but when you consider the fact that we are at something like 100 employees, 4 can be considered substantial.

Conduct some exit interviews to see why people are quitting and try to do something about it.

A fun, challenging and rewarding place to work!!

Current Employee - Administrative in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Feeney Wireless has been an incredibly rewarding place to work. My job has been challenging at times but it’s also very rewarding. I feel my efforts are recognized by management so it makes it all the more worth it. There is a good amount of public recognition and praise here by both managers and by peers. Even though we have a decent amount of employees, everyone has the ability to make an impact on the company. Ideas which can turn into products come from all levels of staff. I think people feel pretty comfortable voicing their opinions and ideas.

There is a great sense of teamwork and collaboration here. Employees are all very friendly and polite with each other. There seems to be no walls when needing something from another department. People here tend to genuinely want to help out. This place seriously has the least amount of office drama I've ever seen.

The culture here is awesome! There is a strong family atmosphere. The executives chat with all the employees, give high fives etc. We do fun events like company sponsored BBQ’s (basically big extended lunches on company time) where we can all hang out, eat, and jam out to music. This company has the best Halloween Customer Contests I've ever seen (like full on walking on stilts and what not).

The benefits are great, health and dental is 100% covered and they just upped the PTO to over a month (and I’ve been here less than two years)!

Cons

Standards are high here and expectations run even higher. We are growing very quickly so we’re experiencing some growing pains. I think there could be better training programs put into place with more defined processes. Right now we expect all the employees to be expert subject matters and employees are required to help define process for their position. This is great for some employees, but for others it’s challenging. I think some people need more guidance/training from their managers. You have to be a self-starter to succeed here.

Keep up the good work. Keep focus on the employee and culture. Incorporate more communication and training programs and you'll see an even more powerful culture.

Family friendly, nice people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The only constant is change at FW and it will always be that way. I think this is a good thing and is an inherent part of being in the technology sphere. The company is always seeking to improve and create a friendly culture. I enjoy working here because I am given a lot of creative freedom for my position. My managers are very understanding when I have family issues such as a sick child or being late to drop off a child at daycare. My opinions are heard and I feel appreciated. I like that my managers don't push me to work overtime because they understand that it is important to have work/life separation. For the most part, everyone is humble and friendly. It's been a great career for me.

Cons

Not really a con per say, just a natural challenge for any business - growing pains are often an issue as the company gets bigger and bigger. Communication between departments is lacking because of the growth. However, FW always rises to the challenge and improves.Some people have a hard time with the fast-paced high-pressure state of the company. People that succeed here are usually calm by nature or very adaptable. You need to be able to handle tight deadlines and vague demands. I am often given a project without much direction and it is up to me to be aggressive about getting the information I need to complete the project. I see this as an opportunity to take ownership of a project and be more creative. Managers are often too busy to get back to you with feedback on projects which can be irritating at times. This is where you need to be relentless about getting information. If you get a job here, prepare to be thrown in the fire. You will be fine if you are good at learning quickly and being assertive. But hey, this is the case with every job isn't it?

Preserve the culture of the company as the the business gets bigger and bigger. You don't have to follow the playbook of large corporations, keep the personality of the company in tact. Employees will be happier and more productive when they are given more freedom instead of more rules.

Un-involved management involved higher decision making that results in no results

Former Employee - Developer in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Developer in Eugene, OR

I worked at Feeney Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The developers at this company (who have survived) are great people who struggle with inconsistent managing by managers. There are some great managers who are working at this company and have made it a survivable place. Some great

Cons

Employees are terminated without proper terms. Some managers lack project management skills, and understanding Project Timelines. Managers have a closed mind for creativity and for out of box thinking.

Clear house of managers who fit the above conditions. Improve your employee relationships.

As one reviewer put it; everything is in expectation...

Former Employee - Technical Position in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Position in Eugene, OR

I worked at Feeney Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I left a long term job with a fortune 500 company to be with Feeney. Only to be let go 6 months later; abruptly.

Cons

Leadership; there are too many chefs in the kitchen. The executive team is young, inexperienced; and somewhat unprofessional. The atmosphere is rather tense. This is the first career job for some of them. Most folks have to put in 20 years to gain an executive position. This job really hurt my career and affected my family negatively. High turnover at the time I was actively employed. Expectations were not set properly. I was given responsibilities that were not applicable to my position. I was fearful and deleted my first review. But I honestly think this needs to be aired.

Clean house, bring some maturity to your leadership team Bob. Don't rely on climate expectations. You lost an extremely valuable employee when you let me go yet you did not have the heart to do it yourself.

Growing too fast

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time

Pros

Really nice environment to work. Friendly staff. The upper management are sincerely trying to create a great culture. All the management is very personable and approachable. Potentially a very bright future.

Cons

Growing too fast, the infrastructure cant not keep up. Some managers are too drunk on the Kool-Aid to see reality. Some positions do not have a future for promotions; while other positions can get promotions quickly. Pay scale is on the lower-end for many positions.

Reward with better pa

Great Company, Great Culture & Coworkers, Excellent Opportunities to Advance Career

Current Employee - Receptionist But Moving UP! in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Receptionist But Moving UP! in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Feeney Wireless has provided nothing but wonderful opportunities to me as an individual and to the advancement of my career. They recognize and understand the potential of all their employees, and when possible, do a fantastic job of promoting within the company. Not only have I seen numerous co-workers get promoted in the 8 months I've been here, but I’ve also had and taken the opportunity to work my way up and further my career. When hiring, Feeney Wireless ensures that not only is the individual fully qualified, but also the right cultural and personality fit, which has helped build a strong sense of family and community within the company.
    One of my favorite aspects about Feeney Wireless is the culture. Throughout the year there are many fun company gatherings and events. Just to list a few, so far this year we have had companywide bake-offs, Feeney Friday BBQ’s, a Halloween Party and Costume contest, a Summer Social, Company Team Races, soon to come a Holiday Party and many more!!!! As an employee it is nice to know that the company I work for realizes the importance of a balanced lifestyle, and helps promote that lifestyle. Since working at Feeney Wireless the overall quality of my life has improved.

Cons

This is more of a pet-peeve but at times the Kitchen area gets a little messy. This can be irritating because Feeney full stocks and provides it's employees with plates, silverware, mugs, cups, trail mix, coffee pots, an espresso machine, a breadmaker, and plenty of fridge space to store food. Even though it can get messy, it is always temporary and people step up to restore the cleanliness and order of the kitchen

Continue to fully utlize employees and communicate effectly throughout all departments of Feeney

Too good to be true. Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Eugene, OR

I worked at Feeney Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A small company with big company desires. There are proactive companies and then there are reactive companies. This is the later of the two. When working there dilligently showing up working hard day after day and producing quality, I was personally left with the feeling of "for what" and "why." When asked there was no explanation. A sign of an imature company with questionable motives.

Cons

An orchestra even has rules, other people do not practice your solo when the crowd is seated, you wear the correct attire and shoes. This place has no rules so be prepared to be told one thing and expect another. Remember the word reactive.

Put out the "under new management" sign it might help keep people and attract new innocent people for a while. Quit pretending the ruse is obvious.

A Very Good Place to Work

I have been working at Feeney Wireless full-time

Pros

- Excellent employee growth potential
    - Fast paced, there are no dull days at work, always work to do
    - Great Co-Workers, Feeney really takes the time to hire the best fit not just for the job, but for the culture as well
    - Pay and Benefits are competive for the size and type of company
    - Fun outside of work activities. This is the first company I've worked for where I look forward to the company picnics and parties
    - Management on all levels trusts the employees to get the job done, and there isn't too much micro-management
    - I've been happy to come to work over 99% of the days I've worked here

Cons

- Work can be hectic, with lots of last minute things happening all at once
    - most days are different from one another in regards to getting things done, which depending on a persons work style is either good or bad, so this is more Neutral than Con
    - Most people wear many hats, which is again depending on the person is either good or bad. So another Neutral

Overall pleased with Management and the direction they are taking the company

Feeney Wireless Photos