Feld Entertainment

Updated August 19, 2014

2.7

Feld Entertainment Chairman and CEO Ken Feld
Ken Feld

Would not intern here ever again.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Woodland, CA

Pros

Provide you with lots of learning opportunity

Cons

Was not a good environment

Good for short term experience working in a large entertainment production company only.

Former Employee - Production Artist  in  Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Ellenton, FL

Pros

Fun to work on scenery and good for learning advanced production fabricaiton techniques.

Cons

Horrible and ineffective management Very stuck in their ways. Bad flow of communication. The scene shop is not a happy place to work, which is ironic, given what they produce. Gossip and trash talk abundant.

Be more picky about who you hire as managers. The particular individual I dealt with during my time there was atrocious and completely ineffective with no management skills. This individual did not know how to talk to employees, manage our time and trash talked upper management's decisions as well as the employees under him, in open spaces with impunity. I had no respect for him, due to his lack of respect for anyone. I was told by other employees, that this manager had cycled thru a large number of workers, seemingly with no one above him questioning what was going on. I had a long history of working with Feld in other capacities before this particular experience. I was shocked by this experience, and would never recommend my colleagues or students ( I teach) work there. This company did not used to be like that.

With management stuck in quicksand and poor pay, it's a wonder how the product is so fantastically purveyed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Pros

Peers are remarkably talented in their fields. Production compiles fantastic material, all shows are operated and choreographed diligently, safely and creatively, and, from what I know, the sales/marketing teams delivers their regions a product that has been nothing but a success. They'll never not be a success.

Cons

Upper management clearly holds back on advancement until employees are so disgruntled they threaten to leave, do leave, or fall prey to the "everyday is a bad day" mentality. For the quality of work, let alone the sheer amount of work produced, if everyone were compensated a hair more generously, the company would thrive both in and outside of the office. Knowing how much money is brought in, there should be more given to those that are there from the ground floor. Although I would recommend working here, a person would need to endure lackluster delegation and an ultimately unsatisfying experience with other departments.

If attitude truly reflected leadership, the staff would be either constantly bickering/gossiping, instilling little trust, and would ultimately give in to the easiest course of action, rather than communicate thoroughly and push the envelope of the legendary acts and products Feld has at their command.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away if you can - especially if you have a desire to grow and develop yourself professionally!

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Aurora, IL

Pros

The only thing that I enjoyed receiving were the free tickets to different events produced by Feld Entertainment.

Cons

Well, not sure how else to put this, but I'm now earning $15,000 more in my new job, doing the same exact thing that I was doing at Feld.

Managements shows favoritism unfortunately, and the environment in this company feels more like a frat house. Working here made me feel like I was back in high school...I was ready to quit because I value my professional career way more than they valued me.

I'm not a huge stickler for swearing in the workplace, but honestly, I felt like it was too excessive in this company.

Listen to all your employees, not just the ones you "like" more. Also, fair compensation would be nice. Try to make an effort to get to know your employees and invest in them. It will be to your benefit so that you can do what you are good at as well. I really do believe that senior management needs to train the managers as well and give them the tools they need in order to be effective managers.

Fun if you aren't looking for money, communication or potential for advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Vienna, VA

Pros

Fun company. They own Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus and promote Disney On Ice, Disney Live and Feld Motor Sports.

Cons

Lack of communication always. Extremely dead line driven. Extremely cheap.

Years of dedication, big let down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing products to promote, opportunity to form strong professional relationships outside of the organization, travel, great place to gain experience and take it elsewhere

Cons

upper management and their lack of appreciation and respect for manager/directors that are bringing in the revenue, salary well below industry average, benefits disappeared over the years, no work/life balance, the least family friendly family entertainment company I've dealt with

respect & appreciate your employees a little more

Great growth opportunity for the willing

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

Pros

Great product - you're selling fun!
    Excellent growth opportunities if you find the company early in your career and are willing to put in the hard work and sacrifice required, i.e. long hours, weekend work, moving.
    Surrounded by amazing and talented people
    Travel opportunities
    Good on-the-job training and experience working with industry leading brands

Cons

HR support can be lacking, you can at times feel like a burden rather than an asset
    Privately owned company so practices can be different than a public corporation, i.e. advancement not necessarily provided to the most qualified

Don't bother!

Former Employee - IT Department  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Vienna, VA

Pros

You get some free tickets to shows

Cons

Horrible upper management - really unfeeling & uncaring. HR department was a joke & really unapproachable. I had to leave for health reasons that concerned a loved one & they were not willing to work with me on a leave of absence and I didn't qualify for FMLA leave. I left feeling that they felt it was much better to replace a hardworking employee than to give them a little time off to deal with important life or death factors. For a FAMILY based company, they are wayway off on family values. The pay was really low as well - at least $10,000 lower than other comparable jobs in the DC area.

Open your minds!! Really listen to your employees! My advice to all non-management positions - GET OUT while you still can!!

Unique place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Pros

Working at Feld can be interesting, and you certainly get to work in a unique environment. The walls are decorated with fun historical pieces from Ringling Bros. and Disney on Ice. You also receive 24 free tickets to their shows each year that you can use for yourself or share with family or friends all across the country.

Cons

The work environment is extremely toxic. In my observations, it was standard to point fingers and place blame rather than work together and find solutions. The HR department does little to help answer employee questions or address concerns. Upper management lacks in communication.

Look at your employees as human beings, not numbers. Encourage and foster collaboration and teamwork.

Command and Control Management Mentality

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Aurora, IL

Pros

Great product. Young co-workers. Get to attend shows for free. Get behind the scenes access to many of Feld events.

Cons

Command and control style of management. Company has no vision, they are focused only on producing events. Status quo is the paradigm. Long hours and little trust. Management treats you like children. Poor communication from management to employees. Management structure is very vertical. No training or guidance, it is a "figure it out for yourself" environment. New ideas not welcome.

Instead of extracting value from employees, Feld should look to nurture and grow their employees.

Worked for Feld Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!