Fellowes

Updated Feb 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jamie Fellowes

Excellent place to grow and be appreciated for honest work.

Customer Alliance Manager (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsCompany culture, values and mindset for continuous improvement.

ConsStaffing reorganiztion efforts can occur frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand how bringing in new talent can upset existing culture.

So much wasted potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsThe regular people in the company are universally some of the best I have ever worked with and are a delight to interact with every day. The new first floor remodel is inspiring and the next phase has everyone excited.

ConsThe leadership of the organization, with a few exceptions, is so out of touch with the reality of the work that is needed and the work that is actually getting done, that poor decisions are made every day. The office environment is the most political and toxic environment I have ever worked in and results in employees so busy needing to CYI that other things go undone. No one under a director is ever consulted on decisions and any key decision is done by the Ivory Tower Executive Team and most of the time lacks the needed information to actually make a decision that makes sense. Those bad decisions then will result in confusion, extra work and mistakes further adding to the need for CYI because when things go wrong someone has to be blamed. The executives who made the decisions in isolation only care if it is complete - not if the work is actually correct, right or logical because how could they ever be wrong (Domeo)? They have to protect their gravy train so when things go bad the witch hunts begin and ultimately someone that spoke the truth or called to light a problem during the project gets fired. The T-Day group and especially the Ivory Tower are all amazingly immune to any accountability when their ideas go wrong.

Then there is no one to turn to for help when you are being mistreated. With the exception of the new Employee Relations Manager who genuinely seems to care about us but can't get anyone to listen, the entire Human Resources, safety and security (trying to say that with a straight face) departments are universally viewed as absent at best and most days just a useless joke. They care more about how to take my salary back with the charity programs we are forced to hear about and contribute to all year long than they care about doing anything to benefit to the employees. What happened to charity begins at home? How about you start by paying a competitive salary instead of giving everything away to strangers! We are tired of hearing about GIVE and China – enough already!

With each passing day the embarrassment at what we have posted as our "core values" grows more glaring. What once was a good place to work is now just a place to get a check until something else comes along.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen for a change. Note to just the words we say but to what we are actually trying to tell you. Then, it would be nice to see an actual reaction and result from ANY of the feedback you ask for. HR sends out surveys, collects data and reports on the summary but there is nothing beyond that, no resulting action. Also let us make some of the decisions. Most of us are actually good at what we do and are not allowed to really do what we are capable of because of micromanagement. It is time to wake up and listen before it is too late. How many more good people have to quit before you recognize the problem?

Flexible company that can turn on a dime, but can often go in the wrong direction.

ProsFriendly work environment, the employees are really on top of their game.

ConsExecutives are too detached and arrive at poor assumptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend quality time with employees below the director level. It would be very enlightening.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work overall--just not in the IT department

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsThis privately held, family-run business has a fairly good community. The people there are friendly, and the overall atmosphere is positive. The owner of the company went out of his way to get to know you and always called me by name--even though we rarely interacted, he still remembered my name.

ConsThe IT department is very poorly run. The morale in the department is very low and the atmosphere is very acidic. The IT department is treated as a cost center rather than as a strategic partner that can help move the business forward. I had hopes that the new CIO would be able to make some positive changes; however, the culture has not improved with the new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for replacements for some of the IT department top management and start fresh. The IT leadership needs to be more proactive rather than reactive and use its resources to move the business forward rather than just stay the course.

A great place to retire...not so great if you want to grow your career

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsIn a word: the people. One of the perks of a small, family-owned company is that they take their time hiring the right person for the job. Fellowes is no different - they're not just putting bodies in the seats. As a result, you get to work with a lot of great people that share similar values and genuinely care about their jobs, the company, and each other.

ConsFellowes is a 95+ yr. old company that just never made the transition to modern times. The systems and technologies are old-fashioned. Ways of doing business are stale and old-fashioned. Even the offices are dated - much of the work space is in dire need of a facelift (and windows!), since it hasn't been changed in over 30 years. It often felt like stepping back in time every morning when I entered the building.

Additionally, Fellowes is nearing its fourth generation of family ownership...which poses a few problems. Such a long tenure has not allowed room for "outside" ideas, influence, and leadership. As a result, the company continues to make the same business decisions over and over and over again...with little positive effect. Having grown up exclusively with the company, the current heir does not have a realistic view of the business world at large. Furthermore, decisions are often made in a vacuum, without input from the appropriate stakeholders throughout the business.

Family ownership at Fellowes also tends to result in a sort of "blindness" to the needs of lower-level, non-management employees and their workloads. Compensation does not follow cost-of-living trends, and often corporate initiatives result in increased workloads for already-overloaded teams, which are expected to continue working "lean" in favor of the bottom line.

Fellowes is also a very flat organization. For those that have already reached their career goals, this might be an ideal company with which to retire. However, there is absolutely no room to grow a young career. Because teams work so lean, there are simply not enough positions available to transition into. A lower-level employee could easily get stuck in the same position with the same title for years on end. Many young employees transition out of the company entirely after a few years, just so they have the opportunity to advance their careers. Unfortunately, they take their fresh, innovative ideas with them. As a result, none of these fresh thinkers ever reach the upper levels where they would have the opportunity to effect real change. Thus the cycle continues.

Very nice conservative company that respects the employees

ProsCorporate benefits, work/life balance, and pretty much full transparency within the company help to make Fellowes a respected company in the office product industry

ConsNo room for promotions. Everyone's a middle manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. There's a good reason for all of the consistently rotating faces.

Fellowes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossolid company-recognized brand and profitable
    strong managment team that knows the office products business well and possess competitive spirit
    work environment is positive and no nonsense

Conspaper based products are challenged for growth
    physical office environment needs improvement
    dont mistake smaller company for lack of politics

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A conservative company

Account Manager (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsThere is good training available

ConsThe greater office products business is flat

Who you are not what you do

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

Prosgood benefits, most of the workers and lower manager are great friendly hard working people.

Consthere is no consistency in policy adminstration, there is zero trust from managers to the workforce - all decisions are made by either TD or the EC. The only thing that matters is if John and Jamie like you, if not - you get nothing despite being a stronger performer and contributer. If there is a genuine problem, there is no one to turn to because of the politics

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach - the core values are no more than writing on the wall. They mean nothing!

Good Work-Life Balance but No Growth Opportunities

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsEmployees are friendly and the the work-life balance was definitely good. Management does try to inspire and recognize employee contributions.

ConsLittle room for growth and learning. Skills in Marketing were minimal and management was weak. Management and employees don't keep up with current business trends. Definitely not a place to increase your skill set or have upward mobility. Products lines are dated and little innovation work in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping your skills current.

Worked for Fellowes? Contribute to the Community!