Fenwick & West

Updated June 8, 2014
Updated June 8, 2014
4.1

Gordon K. Davidson

I feel like I died and went to job heaven.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, constant parties and employee appreciation acts (for example, hey you guys are working hard so hear we hired a company to make crepes for everybody), good salaries, supportive management and co-Workers, great location, and a real sense of community. I feel like everything I do is received with so much appreciation. As for business, the firm handles some of the biggest names in technology and life sciences.

Cons

I can't think of one bad thing to say.

I love Fenwick. Keep doing everything right. Thank you for making such a supportive and diverse environment.

Great opportunities--thriving practice

Former Employee - Of Counsel  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Of Counsel in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has a thriving Silicon Valley practice

Cons

People sometimes work long hours

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance, Bay Area Location, Great Clients

Cons

Law Firm Atmosphere, Can be Long Hours Depending on Practice Group

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fenwick and West is a testament to the Silicon Valley culture of excellence and progressive thinking

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fenwick management is typically rather positive and encouraging. The pay is highly competitive, but the workplace atmosphere is more incusive than divisive. Fenwick employees work as a team to exceed client expectations and everyone seems to always be looking for ways to help the firm grow and succeed.

Cons

With the firm growing it seems there is a lack of space in the building causing some people to be put in small cubicles, but more spaces are being built to fix that.

Fits Silicon Valley

Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very amiable and efficient work environment.

Cons

The division of departments within the office building could be improved.

I may retire here

Current Employee - Information Technology Guy  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Guy in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I feel valued and supported by my management and team. I am quite happy with my compensation and the work I am doing is exciting and challenging. The culture here is very diverse and very unique. I really think this may be the best place that I have ever worked and its definitely not my first. Fenwick is committed to using cutting edge technology and doesn't skimp on technology resources for its employees. Event our onsite datacenter is world class and leed platinum certified.

Cons

We get moved around a lot. I guess we are running out of space here..

Stay calm and party on!

Fantastic tech-focused law firm.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

The people are fantastic. Everyone is kind and friendly, and even the most important partners take an interest in the associates. We also have really great tech clients and we are involved in some of the largest deals in the silicon valley.

Cons

Like every big law firm, the hours are very long, and you are "on-call" all the time. Since we are on number of clients/deals at any particular time, there is a lot of juggling involved.

Fenwick ROCKS!

Current Employee - Chief Professional Development Officer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Professional Development Officer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

Fenwick rocks. It's a fun, supportive, caring place. Regardless of your position, you are valued as a mamber of the team. Upper management values diversity, and people are allowed and encouraged to be themselves. People at this law firm don't take themselves too seriously. I've been at other law firms where partners slammed doors and swore at the staff. Here, that doesn't happen. The Chairman won't allow it. We also don't have a million policies and rules for everything. People are expected to do their best, and they are trusted and given the latitude to make decisions and take risks. There is a lot of reward for doing so. We celebrate our successes every year at what we call State of the Firm. It's two hours of skits and performances and it features a wide range of people in the firm, from all our offices (San Francisco, Boise, Seattle and Mountain View). It's a highlight of the year. I've been here 11 years and I can't imagine going anywhere else. The firm recently won the Alfred P. Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility, and we always win the Best Places to Work Award. No one here is ever surprised.

Cons

Sometimes the onsite gym is crowded. And sometimes there isn't enough food at the Friday "Beer's Here" happy hours. Seriously, sometimes there is a lot of pressure. Working in a busy law firm, for clients who have very high expectations, can take its toll. But the people I work with are supportive and understanding, and we care about one another. We pitch in and help one another. When someone is having a hard time there are a dozen people who jump in to help him/her. There is some anxiety right now because of the economy, and many companies are having layoffs, but I think that's everywhere, not just at Fenwick.

Keep doing what you're doing to build the firm and keep it strong. Continue to communicate with employees throughout the firm so we can all work toward achieving Fenwick's strategic goals.

Best biglaw firm you could work for.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top practice in the country for corporate law for tech companies. Partners are supportive and friendly--no one yells at you, partners seem to actually care about your career development and overall well-being. Associates are treated better at Fenwick than at any other firm I've heard of.

Cons

It's still a law firm, so there will be long hours and the work can be monotonous. As an attorney, there isn't great 24 hour support staff coverage. At other firms I've heard you always have paralegals and assistants to help you out at all hours. This is sort of true at Fenwick, but the staff that's around overnight is minimal, so they're not always available to help you.

A high quality firm with reasonable work/life balance.

Former Employee - Patent Engineer
    Former Employee - Patent Engineer

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally a good group of people that are enjoyable to work with. A chance to work on important and interesting subject matter. Above average compensation. Part time options for attorneys not looking to bill a large number of hours can be a bonus to some.

Cons

No significant downsides, though a significant amount of work is required. It became clear that the type of work involved in the profession was not for me long term.

Worked for Fenwick & West? Contribute to the Community!